Roger Long

Default All sailing - all the time.

True, but the things that impel me to fly can largely be satisfied
with the boat. I have ambitious long range plans for it and, much as
I'll miss flying, the focus of energy and money will make it more
likely that those plans will come to fruition.

Also, the difference between an ultralight and the plane I was flying
is like the difference between a dinghy and a cruising boat. A dinghy
is fun in its own right but would never be a substitute for having to
give up taking a boat you can sleep on out beyond the edge of what you
can see from your dock.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Roger,,, what about an ultralight? I think I read that they are
unregulated. And, when you crash one you dead, so no worry.

=================
"Roger Long" wrote in message
I decided today that I can no longer continue flying in the absurd
insurance environment of today. I've resigned from my flying club
and will be turning in the keys to the plane tomorrow. I feel like
someone died but it does mean that my full energies can now go to
the boat and getting it ready for that trip to Newfoundland and
Labrador in a couple years.

Down to just one mistress.

--

Roger Long

rckchp

Rodger,

Don't be too sad about giving up flying....at least you still have your
boat. I soloed in 1965 but had to give up pursuit of private license
when I started college....was away from flying for 22 years but
eventually got my ticket in 1988. I was a batchelor for 49 years until
I got silly in 1996 and got married. After only a few flights with wife
aboard it was evident that she was not going to like flying and I also
began to realize that the financial realities of married life indicated
I wouldn't be able to keep two expensive hobbies so the flying stopped.
I got a boat but turns out she gets seasick so the boat went too.

Looking back, I see the increasing costs of flying would have caused me
to eventually give it up anyway. And since I now probably couldn't pass
the medical exam, and with the ever increasing regulatory restrictions
I don't miss flying so much.

Rich A.

ezflyer

I can imagine how you must feel. Twenty eight years ago I found that I
could not afford to fly so I took it up a vocation. Now in two years I
will be turning in my wings and going to sea. Although I look excitedly
at this new adventure I know that I will always have a place in my
heart that is still in the sky.

Evan Gatehouse

Roger Long wrote:
I decided today that I can no longer continue flying in the absurd
insurance environment of today. I've resigned from my flying club and
will be turning in the keys to the plane tomorrow. I feel like
someone died but it does mean that my full energies can now go to the
boat and getting it ready for that trip to Newfoundland and Labrador
in a couple years.

Down to just one mistress.

Not being at all familiar with light general aviation planes - what
insurance are you required to carry?

Evan Gatehouse
Evan Gatehouse

Roger Long wrote:
It isn't the cost but the fact that coverage at a level most of us
would consider necessary to operate our boats responsibly simply isn't
available, at any cost. Add to that the fact that juries will hand
out judgements about ten times higher in an aviation case than they
would for the same level of negligence or honest mistake in a boat or
car. They understand boating but start out with the idea that anyone
stupid enough to go up in and airplane is guilty of something even
before there is an accident. Let's face it, flying is also more
dangerous.

The equivalent situation in boating would be if you could only get the
present typical coverage levels if you were a retired 2000 ton Master,
all Oceans, who wanted to coverage only for a 30 foot power boat in
local waters during the summer.

It used to be that you could get aviation coverage on your homeowner's
umbrella policy to cover catastrophic judgements beyond your aviation
insurance but they have eliminated that option by requiring underlying
aviation coverage that is no longer obtainable.

This situation is certainly coming to boating so get out on the water
while you can. We have a ways to go though. Here's the barometer:

Adding the boating endorsement to our catastrophic loss umbrella
policy cost $35. If I could have gotten the unobtainable aviation
coverage upgrade, we would have had to pay $650 for the umbrella
endorsement.

Yeah, but in a light plane, I'd figure you're not very likely to walk
away from a bad accident - so not as much need to carry insurance...

Evan Gatehouse

Jasper Windvane

First .. the Plane.

Second ... the Boat

AND YOU ARE STILL STUCK WITH THE WIFE!

OH MY GOD ,,, THIS IS KILLING ME ,,,, I NOW KNOW THAT THE REST OF THE DAY
WILL BE GREAT!

HEY,, TRY BOWLING .. THEN SHE WILL TELL YOU SHE ONLY LIKES THE BIG BALLS, NO
CANDLE-PIN!

"rckchp" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Don White

Jasper Windvane wrote:
First .. the Plane.

Second ... the Boat

AND YOU ARE STILL STUCK WITH THE WIFE!

OH MY GOD ,,, THIS IS KILLING ME ,,,, I NOW KNOW THAT THE REST OF THE DAY
WILL BE GREAT!

HEY,, TRY BOWLING .. THEN SHE WILL TELL YOU SHE ONLY LIKES THE BIG BALLS, NO
CANDLE-PIN!

Anyone can roll those over sized ten pin balls down and get at least a
spare.
It takes skill to be good at Candlepin bowling.
Leanne

"Don White" wrote in message
Jasper Windvane wrote:
First .. the Plane.

Second ... the Boat

AND YOU ARE STILL STUCK WITH THE WIFE!

OH MY GOD ,,, THIS IS KILLING ME ,,,, I NOW KNOW THAT THE REST OF THE

DAY
WILL BE GREAT!

HEY,, TRY BOWLING .. THEN SHE WILL TELL YOU SHE ONLY LIKES THE BIG

BALLS, NO
CANDLE-PIN!

Anyone can roll those over sized ten pin balls down and get at least a
spare.
It takes skill to be good at Candlepin bowling.

The skill is learning how to play the dead wood instead of just blasting it.

Leanne

RCE

"Don White" wrote in message

Anyone can roll those over sized ten pin balls down and get at least a
spare.
It takes skill to be good at Candlepin bowling.

All these years I thought Candlepin bowling was unique to Massachusetts.
You have it up there?

I'll be dipped.

RCE

Don White

RCE wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Anyone can roll those over sized ten pin balls down and get at least a
spare.
It takes skill to be good at Candlepin bowling.

All these years I thought Candlepin bowling was unique to Massachusetts.
You have it up there?

I'll be dipped.

RCE

You kidding?
Must have missed my posts last fall about the World Candlepin Bowling
championships in Halifax and how a local team has won for 3 years
straight. In fact that's the only type of bowling we have here in Nova
Scotia. (except for the lawn bowling crowd at the seniors club)
http://landofbowling.com/218_home.htm