Roger Long

Default All sailing - all the time.

I decided today that I can no longer continue flying in the absurd
insurance environment of today. I've resigned from my flying club and
will be turning in the keys to the plane tomorrow. I feel like
someone died but it does mean that my full energies can now go to the
boat and getting it ready for that trip to Newfoundland and Labrador
in a couple years.

Down to just one mistress.

--

Roger Long

Leanne

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I decided today that I can no longer continue flying in the absurd
insurance environment of today. I've resigned from my flying club and
will be turning in the keys to the plane tomorrow. I feel like
someone died but it does mean that my full energies can now go to the
boat and getting it ready for that trip to Newfoundland and Labrador
in a couple years.

Welcome to the club....... I made that decision 10 years ago and I still
miss it.

Leanne

Paul Cassel

Roger Long wrote:
Sheesh. Don't tell me that. I was hoping this ache might fade in
three or four years.

I too got chased out of flying. I think it's well past the time we
hanged all the judges which have created this asinine tort system.

Yes, the insurance is crazy, but it's in response to these 'courts'. I
do miss it to this day also.
Richard Lamb

Paul Cassel wrote:

Roger Long wrote:

Sheesh. Don't tell me that. I was hoping this ache might fade in
three or four years.

I too got chased out of flying. I think it's well past the time we
hanged all the judges which have created this asinine tort system.

Yes, the insurance is crazy, but it's in response to these 'courts'. I
do miss it to this day also.

I hate to be a "me too", but me too...
And no, it doesn't fade away...

Richard

Wayne.B

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:45:43 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I decided today that I can no longer continue flying in the absurd
insurance environment of today.

I gather from what you are saying that the high cost of liability
insurance is driving up the cost per hour to unreasonable levels?

As a point of curiosity, approximately what does the annual insurance
on something like a Cessna 172 cost, in round numbers?

Roger Long

Whew. I'm glad to hear somebody finally say that. Sailing is better
but I sure wish I could do both.

Back when I was just a pilot, I would think sometimes after a flight:

Wow, that was $100.

What would I rather have for $100 than the memory of what I just did.

Nothing.

Now that I'm a sailor and boat owner, there is list of boat stuff
about two and a half pages long.

--

Roger Long

"Glenn A. Heslop" wrote in
message news:kYvNf.83626$sa3.26689@pd7tw1no...

wrote:

I decided today that I can no longer continue flying in the absurd
insurance environment of today.

I gather from what you are saying that the high cost of liability
insurance is driving up the cost per hour to unreasonable levels?

As a point of curiosity, approximately what does the annual
insurance
on something like a Cessna 172 cost, in round numbers?

Roger Long

It isn't the cost but the fact that coverage at a level most of us
would consider necessary to operate our boats responsibly simply isn't
available, at any cost. Add to that the fact that juries will hand
out judgements about ten times higher in an aviation case than they
would for the same level of negligence or honest mistake in a boat or
car. They understand boating but start out with the idea that anyone
stupid enough to go up in and airplane is guilty of something even
before there is an accident. Let's face it, flying is also more
dangerous.

The equivalent situation in boating would be if you could only get the
present typical coverage levels if you were a retired 2000 ton Master,
all Oceans, who wanted to coverage only for a 30 foot power boat in
local waters during the summer.

It used to be that you could get aviation coverage on your homeowner's
umbrella policy to cover catastrophic judgements beyond your aviation
insurance but they have eliminated that option by requiring underlying
aviation coverage that is no longer obtainable.

This situation is certainly coming to boating so get out on the water
while you can. We have a ways to go though. Here's the barometer:

Adding the boating endorsement to our catastrophic loss umbrella
policy cost $35. If I could have gotten the unobtainable aviation
coverage upgrade, we would have had to pay $650 for the umbrella
endorsement.

--

Roger Long