RIchard

Default Non skid deck paint

I am painting the cockpit on my 38 Bertram and I am looking for
feedback. I am looking at Interlux Interdeck and West Sea Gloss Pro. I
would like to maintain the existing deck look
as much as possible, I will be painting the flybridge floor area also.
I have some experience with Algrip using the sand that is added to the
paint. The sand approach is hard to get a uniform layer of sand in my
experience. I do not won't a real aggressive deck but something that
is similiar to the original deck with non skid qualities. I understand
the Interdeck is not very aggressive, maybe not aggressive enough. I
have seen the Sea Gloss Pro and it has the same old sand look to it.

Looking for feedback on this application ?

Dennis Pogson

RIchard wrote:
I am painting the cockpit on my 38 Bertram and I am looking for
feedback. I am looking at Interlux Interdeck and West Sea Gloss Pro. I
would like to maintain the existing deck look
as much as possible, I will be painting the flybridge floor area also.
I have some experience with Algrip using the sand that is added to the
paint. The sand approach is hard to get a uniform layer of sand in my
experience. I do not won't a real aggressive deck but something that
is similiar to the original deck with non skid qualities. I
understand the Interdeck is not very aggressive, maybe not aggressive
enough. I have seen the Sea Gloss Pro and it has the same old sand
look to it.

Looking for feedback on this application ?

Interlux Interdeck used to give a superb non-slip uniform finish unless they
have changed the formula.

Dennis.

Bob

About to do the same when the temprature agrees. Seem to remember a
past post recomending swimming pool deck paint. Cheep... durrable...
lots of colours.

Anybody have any experience with the pool deck paint?
Bob

Garland Gray II

Last year I built a hard top bimini (that would be walked on for sail
furling) and painted it with Interlux Perfection 2 part poly, and mixed in
Interlux Intergrip. I was very satisfied with it. You can mix in whatever is
needed to be as agressive as you want. I rolled it and it was quite uniform.
Since the material is light, perhaps it doesn't settle in the paint.
Literature says it won't collect dirt as bad as natural grit, so it has to
be so, right ?
Working inside, the fumes were right potent, but if you are outside that
wouldn't be a problem.

"RIchard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am painting the cockpit on my 38 Bertram and I am looking for
feedback. I am looking at Interlux Interdeck and West Sea Gloss Pro. I
would like to maintain the existing deck look
as much as possible, I will be painting the flybridge floor area also.
I have some experience with Algrip using the sand that is added to the
paint. The sand approach is hard to get a uniform layer of sand in my
experience. I do not won't a real aggressive deck but something that
is similiar to the original deck with non skid qualities. I understand
the Interdeck is not very aggressive, maybe not aggressive enough. I
have seen the Sea Gloss Pro and it has the same old sand look to it.

Looking for feedback on this application ?

Arrie

Garland,

Do you have any pictures of the construction of your Bimini? I'm
thinking of making one.

How did you do it? Email reply is OK, but delete the "bimini" from my addr.

Thanks,
Jeff

"Garland Gray II" wrote in

Last year I built a hard top bimini (that would be walked on for sail
furling) and painted it with Interlux Perfection 2 part poly, and
mixed in Interlux Intergrip. I was very satisfied with it. You can mix
in whatever is needed to be as agressive as you want. I rolled it and
it was quite uniform. Since the material is light, perhaps it doesn't
settle in the paint. Literature says it won't collect dirt as bad as
natural grit, so it has to be so, right ?
Working inside, the fumes were right potent, but if you are outside
that wouldn't be a problem.

Garland Gray II

Arrie,
I don't see your address, and don't have any pictures at the moment, so I'll
try to describe. If of interest, I could take some pictures later.
I should have said I built the bimini "top". I was speaking to the painted
surface.
I have a catamaran, so it has a big bimini.. It's about 7 1/2 feet long and
about 10 1/2 feet wide. I had a guy that makes tuna towers and the like out
of 1 1/2 inch aluminum pipe build a frame to my over all design. The details
were his. I had inspected several bimini frames on similar boats to
determine what I wanted.
The hard top was the middle 6 feet of width (Sunbrella on the extremities),
and he had made this of some 1/2 inch thick some kind of hard foam material
he said ws used for making signs. It was heavier than I liked, and was made
of two pieces, which resulted in a drip right over the helm.
So last winter, I got two 4 x8 sheets of 1/2 inch Decolite (thin frg skins
with a balsa core) and spliced them together. It's not cheap, but I figured
I'd save a lot of time using it. Glassed the rounded edges, and glued
boltrope track to the side edges, and painted it.
I've had close to 400 lb on it, so it's plenty strong.
This probably is not the direction you are headed, but if you are interested
let me know.

"Arrie" wrote in message
9.11...

[...]

Evan Gatehouse

Garland Gray II wrote:

I have a catamaran, so it has a big bimini.. It's about 7 1/2 feet long and
about 10 1/2 feet wide. I had a guy that makes tuna towers and the like out
of 1 1/2 inch aluminum pipe build a frame to my over all design. The details
were his. I had inspected several bimini frames on similar boats to
determine what I wanted.
The hard top was the middle 6 feet of width (Sunbrella on the extremities),
and he had made this of some 1/2 inch thick some kind of hard foam material

Thanks for that idea. I was wondering how the heck I was going to
furl the mainsail on my boat now that I have a bit cabin. Now I have
a use for the few left over sheets of Corecell I still have...

Evan Gatehouse

Michael Porter

Take a look at ultratuff (http://www.ultratuff.net/)

It's a thich rubbery coating with bits of ground-up rubber in it
making a non-skid surface that's OK for bare feet too.

Cheers,

Michael Porter

"RIchard" wrote:

I am painting the cockpit on my 38 Bertram and I am looking for
feedback. I am looking at Interlux Interdeck and West Sea Gloss Pro. I
would like to maintain the existing deck look
as much as possible, I will be painting the flybridge floor area also.
I have some experience with Algrip using the sand that is added to the
paint. The sand approach is hard to get a uniform layer of sand in my
experience. I do not won't a real aggressive deck but something that
is similiar to the original deck with non skid qualities. I understand
the Interdeck is not very aggressive, maybe not aggressive enough. I
have seen the Sea Gloss Pro and it has the same old sand look to it.

Looking for feedback on this application ?

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com
Garland Gray II

If you want to save weight (and be able to reduce the windage of the top
during a hurricane for example) by having removable Sunbrella side panels,
you can glue plastic (pvc ?) boltrope track to the side edges for the panels
to attach to.
Easy to incorporate clear plastic windows in the Sunbrella so you can see
the sails, and cover them as appropriate.