Wayne.B

Default Mobile to Seattle

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:42:03 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Cap'n Jeff has AIR CONDITIONING noone
in their right mind in Seattle would have to go with an open cockpit.

Why can't you?

====================

They don't call it the Pacific North Wet for nothing.

Dene

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
Jeff, I live in the San Juan Islands, north of Seattle. Haven't made that
trip, but you want to pick your weather--I know that much. From October
through March/April there are snorting storms along the west coast, so

avoid
that time slot. And the hidey-holes are pretty scarce. Consider just the
west coast of the US. You have San Diego, LA, San Francisco Bay, then a

few
coves along the Oregon coast: very few places you can overnight. You'll

be
offshore for periods of longer than a day quite a few times. The favorite
long, coastal cruise hereabouts is north, not south. Last summer we made

3-montb round trip to Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska, 1200 miles up

the
coast, and anchored or moored every night. This was the fabled "inland
waterway to Alaska," through and among some 20,000 islands along the way.
Our boat is not really a wimp--a 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug--so she's
seaworthy enough (we hid some thought-provoking seas off Cape Caution

coming
south)--but it's nice to ride the anchor every night and not even think
about the weather as you turn in. (Not quite that simple, obviously;
anchors can drag.)

You can probably make Mobile-Seattle in a kayak. (People have made the
Alaska trip in kayaks.) But a seaworthy boat is hardly ever a real
handicap.

I had a friend here who wanted his 32' Westsail in Maine. He sailed to

San
Diego, trucked the boat to Galveston, Texas, and sailed on from there.

You
might consider a similar alternative.

Fair winds,

Dick Behan
M/V Annie

Dick,

Did you keep a log of your trip and/or have links/sources that were helpful
in planning this trip. I want to make this trip in about 5 years, hopefully
with a Glacier Bay Cat.

-Greg

Dene

wrote:

Cap'n Jeff has AIR CONDITIONING noone
in their right mind in Seattle would have to go with an open cockpit.

Why can't you?

====================

They don't call it the Pacific North Wet for nothing.

or....The Great Wet North.

-Greg--- Portland, Oregon

Larry

"Dene" wrote in :

They don't call it the Pacific North Wet for nothing.

or....The Great Wet North.

-Greg--- Portland, Oregon

Hurricane season is over. Mobile was in the 70's today and fair. Seattle
is 40, freezing and every station in the NW says RAIN....

Why would anyone in MOBILE wanna go to SEATTLE?!!

Is everyone going crazy?!

johnhh

People in Mobile know summer is coming and want out. People in Seattle know
it is coming and can't wait. Today marks our 24th straight day of
measurable rain. By the way, freezing is 32 not 40. Freezing is what
happens in Chicago - most years.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Dene" wrote in :

They don't call it the Pacific North Wet for nothing.

or....The Great Wet North.

-Greg--- Portland, Oregon

Hurricane season is over. Mobile was in the 70's today and fair. Seattle
is 40, freezing and every station in the NW says RAIN....

Why would anyone in MOBILE wanna go to SEATTLE?!!

Is everyone going crazy?!

Trust me....I'm wondering the same thing myself. I spend 9 days in Tucson
with the highs never below 70 degrees. So nice that my wife stayed an extra
three days.

But....10 more winters from now, we hope to become a winter live-aboard
somewhere south of Savannah.

-Greg

-Greg

Larry

"Dene" wrote in :

But....10 more winters from now, we hope to become a winter live-aboard
somewhere south of Savannah.

-Greg

-Greg

Anywhere from Charleston to Jacksonville has the same weather all year.
The temperature difference is less than 5 degrees across the region.
South of Jax, you bet the breeze floating across FL from the Gulf, which
changes the weather drastically by the time you're at Daytona Beach.

Only thing I don't like about Florida in a boat is there's no place to go
boating...ocean or ditch and the ditch is SHALLOW! There's a few places
on the west coast that are interesting, but the East Coast is boring as
hell. Eastern GA does have some pretty scenery in the many swamplands,
just like SC. Florida doesn't. And where you can boat is like taking a
motorhome to Times Square...bumper-to-bumper other boaters also thinking
"Why did I come here??".

That's why I love Charleston. The harbor is large enough to not become
too crowded, and if you get bored, there are 2500 miles of navigable
waterways within 50 miles, salt and fresh. You can anchor off some
island here and never see another soul for days, or you can be with other
people, your choice. The 5-6' tides keep the waterways pumped out,
unlike Florida's 18" tide where there's not enough flow to clean it, just
make some impressive sandbars.

Y'all stop by. We'll anchor off a deserted island and take the dink
ashore for a little shelling on an Atlantic beachfront with NO
FOOTPRINTS..(c;.....and NO CONDOS!!

Dene

Anywhere from Charleston to Jacksonville has the same weather all year.
The temperature difference is less than 5 degrees across the region.
South of Jax, you bet the breeze floating across FL from the Gulf, which
changes the weather drastically by the time you're at Daytona Beach.

Only thing I don't like about Florida in a boat is there's no place to go
boating...ocean or ditch and the ditch is SHALLOW! There's a few places
on the west coast that are interesting, but the East Coast is boring as
hell. Eastern GA does have some pretty scenery in the many swamplands,
just like SC. Florida doesn't. And where you can boat is like taking a
motorhome to Times Square...bumper-to-bumper other boaters also thinking
"Why did I come here??".

I always ask, "where am I?" Hard for me to get use to flat terrain, void of
any natural landmarks. Attributable to being born/raised in Oregon.

That's why I love Charleston. The harbor is large enough to not become
too crowded, and if you get bored, there are 2500 miles of navigable
waterways within 50 miles, salt and fresh. You can anchor off some
island here and never see another soul for days, or you can be with other
people, your choice. The 5-6' tides keep the waterways pumped out,
unlike Florida's 18" tide where there's not enough flow to clean it, just
make some impressive sandbars.

You forgot that there are about a 100 golf courses nearby too.

Paradise!!!

Y'all stop by. We'll anchor off a deserted island and take the dink
ashore for a little shelling on an Atlantic beachfront with NO
FOOTPRINTS..(c;.....and NO CONDOS!!

I'll be there. Just stay alive for another 10 winters. 5 if we get an
inheiritance.

BTW....what kind of boat do you have?

-Greg

Larry

"Dene" wrote in :

BTW....what kind of boat do you have?

Hmm...well, let's list:

Amel Sharki 41 ketch
Endeavour 35 sloop
Grand Banks 42 trawler
Hatteras 52 for fishing (just started on this one)
various other boats at intermittent intervals when their electronics or
electrics fail.

I don't "own" any of them. I'm sort of the engineer on the first two and
chief electronics technician on the others. I can visit West Marine, buy
a bunch of stuff for the boat, and my credit card balance remains the
same!

These boats belong to out-of-towers from Charlotte, Atlanta, all
inlanders. I'm the local "custodian" when the radio or air conditioner
is broken.

Well, I'm off to race on the Endeavour in a really STIFF breeze at noon.
http://www.charlestonoceanracing.org/
Dress warm...it's only going up to 50F, today. It was mid 70's until
this front passed in the night, but man what sailing weather this
morning!

http://www.charlestonraceweek.com/
http://www.charleston.net/stories/?n...section=sports

Race ya to bouy BP...(c;