TGIF fishing tomorrow

Default GPS Discovered In Google Local For Mobile

Cristian Streng has been digging around in his Google Local For Mobile and
found the following file "GpsEnabled: false." downloaded to his Nokia 6600
phone. What if it said "true"

50 miles out in blue water, looking for a restaurant, gas station, someone
to fix that out-drive. Google Mobile to the rescue.

With GPS Google's service becomes a huge threat to many of the companies
that already sell handheld navigation system like TomTom and Navicore.

The GPS feature could well be waiting for a second release of the service,
or waiting for next-gen handsets with a GPS built into them, to become more
widely used.

There have been rumbles about Yahoo Maps linking up with mobile phone
companies too.

Won't be long before we can toss the GPS and just use our mobile phones.

Bill McKee

"TGIF fishing tomorrow" wrote in message
Cristian Streng has been digging around in his Google Local For Mobile and
found the following file "GpsEnabled: false." downloaded to his Nokia 6600
phone. What if it said "true"

50 miles out in blue water, looking for a restaurant, gas station, someone
to fix that out-drive. Google Mobile to the rescue.

With GPS Google's service becomes a huge threat to many of the companies
that already sell handheld navigation system like TomTom and Navicore.

The GPS feature could well be waiting for a second release of the service,
or waiting for next-gen handsets with a GPS built into them, to become
more
widely used.

There have been rumbles about Yahoo Maps linking up with mobile phone
companies too.

Won't be long before we can toss the GPS and just use our mobile phones.

Has to have a GPS chip in the phone. When I worked as apps engineer for
Texas Instruments, I worked with a company that was doing the first GPS and
local info content on phones. We, as the phone chip supplier, had embedded
a GPS module in a phone. You still have to get the public to buy the
phones, and are enough going to spring for a 3G phone?

TGIF fishing tomorrow

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

I got a Samsung i730 ($600.00) free with a two year service agreement. If
anyone can get product (GPS) in the consumers hands it the would be the
communications companies.

I paid 250-400 for my first GPS, a DeLorme that I was able to hook to my
Palm Pilot.

And a 1,000 plus for a Garmin GPSMAP 376C that was stolen after we used it
once.

What they charge for the connect time is going to be the major impediment.

Just another new toy...

Bill McKee

"TGIF fishing tomorrow" wrote in message
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Connect time only when trying to find local info. The GPS will work most of
the time, except inside buildings, etc. Will be a poor receiver compared to
a designated GPS. Actually the driving force for the GPS module is the 911
emergency network. Since the phone is not a fixed base, the emergency
network has a hard time locating the exact whereabouts. Been a few people
who crashed into brush near a busy highway and died waiting for help as they
could not be located for hours to days. The cell phone companies can
triangulate from the cell towers, but is only a rough guess.

Bill McKee wrote:
"TGIF fishing tomorrow" wrote in message
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Triangulation is actually fairly accurate. More than a "rough guess".
By the way, you act like you know what you're talking about, but you
failed to mention anything about the phone being used needs to be Java
enabled.

TGIF fishing tomorrow

Google Local For Mobile

Works with certain handsets from Cingular Wireless, Sprint Nextel Corp. and
T-Mobile USA. The software also allows users to search for driving
directions and zoom in and out of digital maps. Google doesn't charge for
the service, although data fees may be levied by the carriers. The service
isn't available on Blackberry devices made by Research in Motion or handsets
by Palm.

FREDO

I have T-Mobile service (with T-Zones internet) and have used the Find-It
service you are talking about.
It's great gives me directions, a map (zoomable) and telephone # so I can
call some new business I am trying to find.

GPS? GPS? We don't need no stinking GPS!!!

FREDO wrote:
I have T-Mobile service (with T-Zones internet) and have used the Find-It
service you are talking about.
It's great gives me directions, a map (zoomable) and telephone # so I can
call some new business I am trying to find.

GPS? GPS? We don't need no stinking GPS!!!

Yeah, Bill is almost always wrong in some regard. The phone does,
however, need to be Java enabled.

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
"TGIF fishing tomorrow" wrote in message
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Triangulation is very poor from cell towers. You are looking at signal
strength, and there may be very little difference between a couple of
towers. It is not like you have a directional antenna. If it was easy,
people could be found much easier. Case in the San Jose area of California,
about maybe 5 years ago. Lady ran off the freeway in to brush at an
interchange area. 2 days they looked for her. She described the area she
crashed in and finally the police asked her to honk the horn a lot. They
were looking in a 1 mile circle of her for the 2 days. As to Java, not
really required, makes web surfing easier, but if propriatary service, can
be done several different ways. The company I worked with had a GPS to tell
you where you are and a compass to tell which way the phone pointed. Point
the phone in the direction you wanted info on and request resturants, or the
history of the building you are looking at. The request is sent to the
supplies computer, it looks up the info, and sends back a message. Could be
text or Java.