prodigal1

Default standing rigging

In another overly long thread about the merits of the C&C33, someone
mentioned rigging as a potential issue in an older boat. Would anyone
care to share experience with assessing the condition of rigging on a
freshwater-only sailboat? Look-fors? Tips? Sources of information?
Cheers and Happy 2006!
--only 16 weeks till launch day--
Dennis Pogson

prodigal1 wrote:
In another overly long thread about the merits of the C&C33, someone
mentioned rigging as a potential issue in an older boat. Would anyone
care to share experience with assessing the condition of rigging on a
freshwater-only sailboat? Look-fors? Tips? Sources of information?
Cheers and Happy 2006!
--only 16 weeks till launch day--

Some insurers (most) will not insure a boat where the standing rigging is
more than 8 years old, even if the boat had never been used since new. This
is the position in the UK, US may be different. Makes no difference whether
the rigging is wire or solid rod.

Dennis.

Capt. JG

"prodigal1" wrote in message
In another overly long thread about the merits of the C&C33, someone
mentioned rigging as a potential issue in an older boat. Would anyone
care to share experience with assessing the condition of rigging on a
freshwater-only sailboat? Look-fors? Tips? Sources of information?
Cheers and Happy 2006!
--only 16 weeks till launch day--

The same issues apply. Typically, out here in SF, you need to replace the
rigging after 10 years one way or another. I would assume it's the same
elsewhere, although with fresh water, you might be able to go a bit longer.
I wouldn't risk it, however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Roger Long

A Great Lakes surveyor who seemed pretty knowledgeable told us that
they never replace standing rigging out there unless some noticeable
flaw is discovered.

Our 1980 boat was out there from at least 1984 until we brought it to
Maine last year and the rigging looks very good.

I'll let you know if the mast falls down.

--

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"prodigal1" wrote in message
In another overly long thread about the merits of the C&C33,
someone mentioned rigging as a potential issue in an older boat.
Would anyone care to share experience with assessing the condition
of rigging on a freshwater-only sailboat? Look-fors? Tips?
Sources of information?
Cheers and Happy 2006!
--only 16 weeks till launch day--

The same issues apply. Typically, out here in SF, you need to
replace the rigging after 10 years one way or another. I would
assume it's the same elsewhere, although with fresh water, you might
be able to go a bit longer. I wouldn't risk it, however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG

That sounds scary. If you wait until there's an obvious flaw, you're sailing
on thin ice IMHO. The riggers out here say just the opposite... every ten
years is about right.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"prodigal1" wrote in message
In another overly long thread about the merits of the C&C33, someone
mentioned rigging as a potential issue in an older boat. Would anyone
care to share experience with assessing the condition of rigging on a
freshwater-only sailboat? Look-fors? Tips? Sources of information?
Cheers and Happy 2006!
--only 16 weeks till launch day--

The same issues apply. Typically, out here in SF, you need to replace the
rigging after 10 years one way or another. I would assume it's the same
elsewhere, although with fresh water, you might be able to go a bit
longer. I wouldn't risk it, however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Roger Long

I would certainly agree with 10 years in salt water although very few
people actually do. I can't remember seeing or hearing of a dismasted
coastal cruiser.

Any Great Lakes or other fresh water owners have recommendations or
dismastings to report?

--

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"prodigal1" wrote in message
In another overly long thread about the merits of the C&C33,
someone mentioned rigging as a potential issue in an older boat.
Would anyone care to share experience with assessing the
condition of rigging on a freshwater-only sailboat? Look-fors?
Tips? Sources of information?
Cheers and Happy 2006!
--only 16 weeks till launch day--

The same issues apply. Typically, out here in SF, you need to
replace the rigging after 10 years one way or another. I would
assume it's the same elsewhere, although with fresh water, you
might be able to go a bit longer. I wouldn't risk it, however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG

No idea about reports... not my sailing area.

Out here, dismastings are not that uncommon. For example, we had a Catalina
27 that dismasted due to an almost invisible crack in a turnbuckle. I missed
it, our maintenance guy missed it (and he was really looking), and the
rigger missed it about six months before the rig went over. Fortunately, no
one was hurt and the insurance worked.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"prodigal1" wrote in message
[...]

I know of a couple, and one of them belonged to me. The exact cause
was never determined but the rigging was in fact older than 10 years,
close to 20 in fact.

I would suggest inspection by a professional rigger every couple of
years. Dismastings are no fun and it will definitely take a chunk of
time out of your sailing season. Insurance companies also have a bad
habit of trying to find reasons for not covering the loss.

DSK

Roger Long wrote:
I would certainly agree with 10 years in salt water although very few
people actually do. I can't remember seeing or hearing of a dismasted
coastal cruiser.

You don't get out enough. Happens several times a year in
pretty much every major sailing area. I know of 2 on the
Chesapeake last year, for example, and that's just the ones
I heard of (happened to friend of a friend etc etc).

rhys wrote:
There's the obvious eyeball "tests" of looking for cracks, rust
weeping, deformation of holes, fraying wire, terminals with
suspiciously shiny wire, etc.

Another key to look for is uneven lay to the strands.

Most faults in standing rigging require at least a
magnifying glass to spot. I use a magnifyer plus a 18V xenon
work light.

There's the dye tests. Interpreting those is a rigger's art.

Not really. The dye is just to show smaller cracks &
porosities than could be seen with just a magnifiier &
bright light.

There's the X-ray tests. Even more so.

I have 1/4" original (33 years) 7 x 19 standing rigging all around in
freshwater with good quality Merriman open turnbuckles which I inspect
and lube yearly. I eyeball the entire spar before launch, paying
particular attention to cotter pins, tangs, etc. My insurance company
isn't making a fuss, and the boat passes survey requirements.

I'm surprised some of the tangs don't have elongated
holes... bet you've replaced pins a couple of times... 33
years would make me nervous, but the expense of replacing
standing rigging would also make me hesitate.

IMHO there's no reason to replace standing rigging without
some indications from proper inspection.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King