Skip Gundlach

Default Kerllets (was) Anchor lines

"BF" wrote in message
But why go to the bother of cutting away the can?
A few uses and it should go away by itself.
BF

But who wants flaky rust aboard, or even leaky rust? I'm into efficiency,
but the residue cleanup would be more effort than the cutaway :{))

L8R

Skip, older and wiser, but not yet rusting away

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Jack Dale

Default Anchor lines

On 12 Dec 2005 10:17:22 -0800, lid (Jonathan Ganz)
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Dale wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:03:50 -0500, Jeff wrote:

Bryan wrote:

Now I have to look up collets! Thanks.

http://www.cruisingoutfitters.com/kiwi.html

These are slick, but expensive. As I've said, you can do almost as
well with some dive weights.

In the Pacific North West, downrigger balls are commonly used as much
less expensive kellets.

Like those for fishing? Do you have a link for them?

Those are the ones. I see them in marine suppliy stores. Try
Googling.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Bryan

"Commodore Joe Redcloud©" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:27:28 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff wrote:
BTW, what kind of anchor do you use, and do you have a windlass?

Perhaps using collets instead of 300 ft of chain. My recollection is
that they're also almost as good.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Now I have to look up collets! Thanks.

You will have much better results looking up "kellet"

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Thanks to all for the word, kellet, and the links.

Bryan

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Gordon" wrote:

How do all you cruisers keep your boats from walking all over the
place when using brait or nylon at anchor? Chain lays on the bottom
and pretty much holds you in one place but line lets a boat roam at
will. How do you prevent that?

As others mentioned, if you're the first in the anchorage, twin anchors
off the bow is the usual answer. Most of the time, doing what everyone
else is doing is right, though.

Once in a while, we'll tie a dock line to the rode with a rolling hitch,
cleat at a mid or stern cleat, then ease the rode out so the boat
"cocks" to one side. At about 30 degrees to the wind, the boat wanders
very little. Handy for keeping the sun in the right place. Also handy in
those times when wind and waves are not aligned.

--
Jere Lull
Gary

Jere Lull wrote:

Once in a while, we'll tie a dock line to the rode with a rolling hitch,
cleat at a mid or stern cleat, then ease the rode out so the boat
"cocks" to one side. At about 30 degrees to the wind, the boat wanders
very little. Handy for keeping the sun in the right place. Also handy in
those times when wind and waves are not aligned.

Referred to as pointing ship. This technique was used to bring guns to
bear when at anchor and there was an offshore or onshore wind. It can
also be done using spankers or mizzens on full rigged ships.

Very neat!

Charles T. Low

"The Complete Book of Anchorng and Mooring" by Earl Hinz will answer
(almost) everything.

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

"Gordon" wrote in message
How do all you cruisers keep your boats from walking all over the place
when using brait or nylon at anchor? Chain lays on the bottom and pretty
much holds you in one place but line lets a boat roam at will. How do you
prevent that?
Gordon

Bob

Hi:

AKA "cannon balls" i the salmon trolling fleet. Usually come in 30 or
40 pound size with nice brass eye for connecting small stuff.

Most any commercial fishsing store on west coast from N 48- to N 38-
will have have them.

Two common a
Englund Marine, OR....... no, not england, Englund
Fishermans supply, WA

Bob

Gordon Wedman

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi:

AKA "cannon balls" i the salmon trolling fleet. Usually come in 30 or
40 pound size with nice brass eye for connecting small stuff.

Most any commercial fishsing store on west coast from N 48- to N 38-
will have have them.

Two common a
Englund Marine, OR....... no, not england, Englund
Fishermans supply, WA

Bob

Bought mine at West Marine. They have sizes down to a few pounds as sport
fishermen use them with downriggers.