Jonathan Ganz

Default Anchor lines

In article ,
Bryan wrote:
The two anchors off the bow creates cross-over potential, that is rodes
crossing between boats. I would think that bow and stern in tight quarters
eliminates the swing issue and reduces the potential of crossing
lines/rodes.

I've only used moorings, single anchor off the bow, and bow and stern
anchoring. I've practiced the other options you've offered, but never used
them.

This thread is going to force me to grab my Annapolis Book of Seamanship and
review the anchoring chapter!

And, you might be in a situation when bow/stern won't do what you
want. For example, if other people have only one or multiple bow
anchors out. Your neighbor would swing into you.

The best rule of thumb is to follow the lead if you're not there
first. If you are there first, you get to set the precedence, assuming
you know what you're doing of course.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Jeff wrote:
If you're in such close quarters as to risk fouling rodes with other
boats, you had best be anchoring with the same technique as your
neighbors. I've had some minor bumps but try to avoid situations
where there is any risk of fouling. The only nasty that comes to mind
I had all chain and my neighbor had about 200 feet of rope (in about
15 feet of water). When the wind shifted I stayed in essentially the
same place, and he swung about 400 feet.

I double anchor (with two forward) fairly frequently, but have never
had a problem fouling, probably because its so easy to predict where
you're going to end up.

What Jeff said. Most of the time, you get fouled on other people's
crap or they on yours.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry

Jeff wrote in :

Well, I was asking Gordon. Since the Amel is over 50 feet and
displaces about 20 tons, its not quite the same situation.

Naw...we dream of the big Mari, but this boat is a Sharki 41 (39 if the
marina people are askin'...(c. They measured it.

It's not that big....just well made.
Bryan

"Jeff" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:

I double anchor (with two forward) fairly frequently, but have never had a
problem fouling, probably because its so easy to predict where you're
going to end up.

I've only used moorings, single anchor off the bow, and bow and stern
anchoring. I've practiced the other options you've offered, but never
used them.

This thread is going to force me to grab my Annapolis Book of Seamanship
and review the anchoring chapter!

If you really want to learn, get the book by Hinz. And talk to people who
have used a variety of techniques.

If I really want to learn, I need to win the lottery, quit my job, get a new
wife, and send my kids off to college, so that I can spend more time, lots
more time, on the water!

Right now, my sailing, that requires anchoring, is limited to Catalina
Island (bow and stern) and Isla Coronado (single bow).

Bryan

Bryan

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Bryan wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with other anchoring techniques and have practiced them, but
have never been in a setting requiring their execution. One of my
anchorages, swing is not an issue, the other, bow and stern is the custom.

Bryan

Jeff

Bryan wrote:

And, you might be in a situation when bow/stern won't do what you
want. For example, if other people have only one or multiple bow
anchors out. Your neighbor would swing into you.

The best rule of thumb is to follow the lead if you're not there
first. If you are there first, you get to set the precedence, assuming
you know what you're doing of course.

I'm familiar with other anchoring techniques and have practiced them, but
have never been in a setting requiring their execution. One of my
anchorages, swing is not an issue, the other, bow and stern is the custom.

I sailed for many years before I started double anchoring. For some
reason, I thought it was overly complicated. Then I cruised in the
company of an old friend who saw me dragging a bit in soft mud. He
yelled over, "just power over there and throw out your Danforth -
you'll sleep a lot better." Ever since then I've kept a Fortress on
deck to use whenever I thought I might worry at 2AM.
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Bryan wrote:
I'm familiar with other anchoring techniques and have practiced them, but
have never been in a setting requiring their execution. One of my
anchorages, swing is not an issue, the other, bow and stern is the custom.

In that case, you need to get out more. :-) Bow/stern isn't that
common. For example, if the current is bow/stern and the wind comes
around to 90, then it can make for a rough ride.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Bryan wrote:
If I really want to learn, I need to win the lottery, quit my job, get a new
wife, and send my kids off to college, so that I can spend more time, lots
more time, on the water!

Can't be that bad... you can get to Catalina... nice place.

Bryan wrote:
If I really want to learn, I need to win the lottery, quit my job, get a
new
wife, and send my kids off to college, so that I can spend more time, lots
more time, on the water!

Can't be that bad... you can get to Catalina... nice place.

Right now, my sailing, that requires anchoring, is limited to Catalina
Island (bow and stern) and Isla Coronado (single bow).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Once a year. What a great destination if done right. It's my favorite
getaway. Don't tell anybody; I want to keep Catalina a secret. My next
challenge is to get there in an 18 foot runabout instead of my usual 30 to
40 foot sailboat.

Bryan