Capt. JG

Default Mac 26

Perhaps... different type of cruising down here.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gary" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Out here we occasionally see a Mac on the bay. 50% of the time, she's
struggling. We do one or more of the following...

1) stay heck away
2) circle and ask if they need help
3) show the crew how to use a cleat hitch if they make it to the dock
4) try to get my students to keep their voices down when they comment on
the low-rent rigging

There are lots up here, quite popular. They can roar across the opn
stretches and sail in the islands. First to the anchorages etc. Best of
both worlds for a guy still working and cruising inside the island. They
have much longer legs than a regular weekender.

Jim Cate

Jeff wrote:

Jim Cate wrote:

The point is that most owners of the "real sailboats" you keep
talking about don't often make use of their capability. I think
it's better to have a boat that is sailed often rather than a boat
that COULD be sailed to the Bahamas but is seldom taken out. I think
that the Mac owners probably get in more time sailing their boats
than most owners of ocean going vessels..

I certainly agree that its better to have a boat that's used than one
that's not used. And for some people, the Mac should provide that
usability.

On the other hand, I see almost no Mac's where I sail in New England.
Giving the numbers, one might expect to see as many Mac's as Hunters
and Catalinas. However, I spend most of the summer on the water and
hardly ever see a Mac out there. In fact, I've traveled the East
Coast from Maine to Florida several times over the last 30 years, and
have only seen a handful of Mac's actually being used. There's been
one in my marina for the last few years, and I've never seen them more
the a half mile from the dock. In fact, to my knowledge, they've only
been out 3 times in two years. Some years ago, there was a 26X that I
would see powering out, but they seem to have left the scene.

Since the Macs are manufactured in California, it's probably to be
expected that there are more of them on the west coast and fewer of them
in New England.
I do see reports on the Mac discussion groups of Macs sailing the Keys,
Pensacola, etc.

Jim

Jim Cate

Well, we are about to get out in the blue water off Galveston and
cruise offshore (initial heading approximately 110 degrees). I'll try
to post an update to the ng next week. In any event, I'll be off the net
for a week or so but hope to make it back safely and report in sometime
next month.

Happy sailing to all.
Jim

wrote:

The thread about crossing the atlantic in a Mac 26 was getting too long
and isnt really interesting. HOWEVER, to say that a Mac 26 sails poorly
means little as so do other "real" sailboats like the entire Morgan
Outisland series. Remember the Westsail, Practical Sailor called it
the "Wet Snail" . As far as the Dawson 26 mentioned as an ocean
crosser in the other thread, PS called it the "Doghouse 26". So,
ultimate sailing ability may mean little.
Consider that most coastal cruiosers report spending about 70% of their
time motoring and you might get a different perspective on the Mac26.
You might consider it to be a motorboat with the ability to sail.
Unlike most motorboats, this one has the safety factor of being able to
sail home. Does this make it safer than the average motorboat used for
cruising?
Do the properties of the Mac26 allow its owners to go more places than
most other sailboats.......probably. Is the Mac26 safe enough compared
to most other motorboats to allow its owner to safely cruise over to
the Bahamas under power? Consider that its speed under power may allow
it to use narrow weather windows that other sailboats could not or that
time spent at sea might sdetermine your probability of getting caught
out in bad weatrher and maybe the Mac26 speed under power gives it an
edge in safety.
I do not see the Mac 26 as an ocean crosser but as a way for people to
sail in many places. True, they will almost always sail in wind less
than 20 kts but that is what most of us want to do anyway.

Capt. JG

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
Well, we are about to get out in the blue water off Galveston and cruise
offshore (initial heading approximately 110 degrees). I'll try to post an
update to the ng next week. In any event, I'll be off the net for a week
or so but hope to make it back safely and report in sometime next month.

Happy sailing to all.
Jim

I hope you make it back too!!!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jim Cate

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

In article ,
Jim Cate wrote:

Yep, and it's still a piece of junk.

Have a nice day anyway Johnny.

Jim

I have every intention, don't you worry little buddy.

"Little buddy"? Well, I'm 200lbs, over six feet, an ex-marine, etc.
Where did you get the little buddy?

Jim

Jim Cate

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

The elitists here who feel that only "traditional" designs belong on
the water need to loosen their yachtie captains hats and get over the
Mac26 and realize that it works very well enabling the less affluent
among us to go sailing and to do far more sailing than those who mainly
sail from yacht club bar stools. In spite of their apocryphal stories
of Mac26 disasters they can never back up, I have read of many great
Mac26 trips including the entire ICW, the inside passage to Alaska,
Catalina, Bahamas. From what I can tell, the current Mac26 is built
better than the original Hunters and some Beneteaus. As far as safety
is concerned, it seems considerably safer than most power boats and a
strong case can be made for it being safer than many other sail boats.

I wouldn't know about elistists... and, while I like traditional
designs, I have no problem with people who want to sail on Macs or any
other boat. What I said was:

that they're fine for some conditions, but
not for others. This is true of all boats, but Jimmy gets all in a
lather when someone suggests that they're not great boats in
general.

Actually, John, that evaluation ("fine for some conditions, but not for
others," and "I have no problems with peoplewho want to sail on Macs")
is directly contrary to the tenor of your earlier comments throughout
this discussion. - Instead, your comments about the Macs (such as
"garbage boats", "piece of junk", "crap", etc.), are what I consider
excessive. - As previously stated, I am not presuming to claim the Macs
are great boats for all conditions. I'm only attempting to ensure that
the discussion maintains a modicum of balance. I will also draw
attention to obviously misleading or inconsistent statements (like yours
above) from time to time.

Jim

Jeff

Jim Cate wrote:
Well, we are about to get out in the blue water off Galveston and
cruise offshore (initial heading approximately 110 degrees). I'll try
to post an update to the ng next week. In any event, I'll be off the net
for a week or so but hope to make it back safely and report in sometime
next month.

Hey Jim, where's that report on your blue water cruise?

Jonathan Ganz

In article , Jeff wrote:
Jim Cate wrote:
Well, we are about to get out in the blue water off Galveston and
cruise offshore (initial heading approximately 110 degrees). I'll try
to post an update to the ng next week. In any event, I'll be off the net
for a week or so but hope to make it back safely and report in sometime
next month.

Hey Jim, where's that report on your blue water cruise?

Jeff, be nice! Jim knows his limitations and took a Carnival Cruise.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com