Garland Gray II

Default Mack Pack ??

I'm considering getting a Mack Pack sail cover, and would appreciate
comments from anyone with experience with it.

I have two reservations:

I never liked seeing "similar" covers flapping in the breeze while under
sail, but I look more favorable on the Mack Pack because, at least it
appears, the cover will slide down the lazy jacks closer to the boom. How
well can the covers be rolled up out of the way?

I'm concerned about not having the sail bundled up in a tight package,
particularly with my big roach full batten mainsail. We expend a bit of
effort in flaking the main and cinching the sail ties to get a tight
package, the aft end being the most difficult. How well does the Mack Pack
deal with a big roach main ?

Thanks for any insight.

Evan Gatehouse

Garland Gray II wrote:
I'm considering getting a Mack Pack sail cover, and would appreciate
comments from anyone with experience with it.

I have two reservations:

I never liked seeing "similar" covers flapping in the breeze while under
sail, but I look more favorable on the Mack Pack because, at least it
appears, the cover will slide down the lazy jacks closer to the boom. How
well can the covers be rolled up out of the way?

I'm concerned about not having the sail bundled up in a tight package,
particularly with my big roach full batten mainsail. We expend a bit of
effort in flaking the main and cinching the sail ties to get a tight
package, the aft end being the most difficult. How well does the Mack Pack
deal with a big roach main ?

Thanks for any insight.

I've got the UK version of this (don't know if it's a Mack
Pack). The mainsail is loose footed. Sewn to the
centerline of the cover are 3 sets of straps with fastex
(nylon quick release) buckles on them. You ease the lazy
jacks and bunch the cover down and tuck it out of the way.
Very little windage and not too untidy.

You don't need to put sail ties on with these covers -
that's the beauty of them. I just drop the mainsail, flake
it a minimal amount and pull the zipper. With a 15' boom
it's no trouble. Just make sure it's cut generously given
the stack height of your sail when NOT cinched up tight.

Evan Gatehouse
bushman

Why I like my MackPack.
I feel the same way about the lines and cover messing up my air flow across
the sail, but we aint racing here, we're cruising and enjoying ouselves.
I think the MackPack is good for the sail. The sail stays in the lines and
does not hang on other objects or fall to the deck to be snagged or stepped
on. Being tightly furled and sinched down is not good for the sail cloth,
being loosely flaked on the boom keeps the cloth and stiching from being
creased. Also the sail can breath and dry out in the sail cover.
Interesting thing I learned at the Sail show this weekend. Travis Blain of
Mack Sails told me to box up my old MackPack and send $53 to have any
repairs done. I will report back when it returns.
- Allen
P.S. maybe I am just a lazy sailor.

bushman

"johnhh" wrote in message
Does it interfere with putting in a reef?

Not really. I have to go to the mast to reef and always later than I should,
if you what I mean. I can reach in by the mast to hook the cringle and then
haul the out haul and let the cover hold the middle, I don't always tie the
reef lines.
One of the speakers at the show suggested attaching the top lines out on the
spreader a bit to make more of an open V to catch the sail. I'll have to
look at that and see.
- Allen

Garland Gray II

Thanks Evan. Comments below :

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
I've got the UK version of this (don't know if it's a Mack Pack). The
mainsail is loose footed. Sewn to the centerline of the cover are 3 sets
of straps with fastex (nylon quick release) buckles on them.

Do you mean there are three straps on each side of the cover that are used
to secure each rolled-up side separately? Or do you roll both sides in a
single roll below the sail?

You ease the lazy jacks and bunch the cover down and tuck it out of the
way. Very little windage and not too untidy.

You don't need to put sail ties on with these covers - that's the beauty
of them. I just drop the mainsail, flake it a minimal amount and pull the
zipper. With a 15' boom it's no trouble. Just make sure it's cut
generously given the stack height of your sail when NOT cinched up tight.

Evan Gatehouse

Yeah, I realised the cover would have to be made extra big, especially aft,
which does concern me some.

Garland Gray II

Thanks Allen.

Do you think having the lazy jacks threaded through the grommets in the
cover makes the system work better ? I guess there is enough friction that
the covers stay up when desired, yet can be slid down for sailing. Did I get
that right ? Probably reduces chafe on the cover as well.

My lazy jack "halyards", I suppose they could be called, after exiting
above the spreaders, pass through fairleads inserted in holes in the
spreaders to do just as you were told.

Evan Gatehouse

Garland Gray II wrote:
Thanks Evan. Comments below :

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message

I've got the UK version of this (don't know if it's a Mack Pack). The
mainsail is loose footed. Sewn to the centerline of the cover are 3 sets
of straps with fastex (nylon quick release) buckles on them.

Do you mean there are three straps on each side of the cover that are used
to secure each rolled-up side separately?

That's the way mine is done.

Or do you roll both sides in a
single roll below the sail?

You ease the lazy jacks and bunch the cover down and tuck it out of the
way. Very little windage and not too untidy.

You don't need to put sail ties on with these covers - that's the beauty
of them. I just drop the mainsail, flake it a minimal amount and pull the
zipper. With a 15' boom it's no trouble. Just make sure it's cut
generously given the stack height of your sail when NOT cinched up tight.

Evan Gatehouse

Yeah, I realised the cover would have to be made extra big, especially aft,
which does concern me some.

A couple more thoughts:

- mine has the biggest zipper I have ever seen. The alloy
slider has to be about 6 oz in weight. Really rugged and
easy to slide it along

- if the lazy jacks are mounted on the spreaders, out about
1' from the mast, then the cover is held open better

Evan Gatehouse