MMC

Default bad place to park a boat

While Wilma was passing us here in Satellite Beach yesterday, the water in
our canal rose about 4 ft above normal.
A neighbor had his jet boat (oversized jet ski) on the lift but not tied to
the dock. After the boat traveled around that side of the canal a bit, he
got it back to his yard and pulled it into the yard and tied it to a tree.
Water at all time time high.
The water dropped rapidly after the storm went by and now this 1,500 lb
oversized jet ski is about 3 feet above the water with a concrete sea wall
in the way.
How do you explain to the insurance company that you need a crane to launch
the boat you put in the yard?
This is my second favorite jet ski experience. My favorite was watching a
guy launch his jet ski next to "Cocoanuts", a popular bar/restaurant on
Cocoa Beach. He backed his trailer out near the water, off loaded the jet
ski, and went off to find a place to park his truck and trailer.
By the time he got back the tide had receeded and there was about 25 ft of
sand between the jet ski and the water.
Apparently those things are heavy, as for the next 45 minutes he entertained
the people sitting on the deck enjoying the afternoon, eating, drinking and
listening to music by trying to close the gap with the outgoing tide.
He was applauded when he finally gave up and came to the deck for a cold
beer!
Although no one offered to help him launch his noise maker, there were
plenty of offers to help him get it back on the trailer so that he could
take someplace else!
MMC

Capri

Now I know there is a ramp to the beach there at Coconuts from the
days when the public used to be able to drive on the beach. However,
it seems to me its illegal to drive on the beach in Cocoa these days
and has been for a long time, much less try to launch a boat. the ramp
ends at the top of the beach, it doesn't extend all the way into the
water. . Anyone trying to back a trailer up on the beach into the ocean
to launch a trailer would have had a lot more to worry abt than the
tide...... like sinking down to his axle in the sand. Lets say the guy
does get his jet ski into the ocean, how the heck was he ever planning
on getting it back onto the trailer.

strange story.

"MMC" wrote:
While Wilma was passing us here in Satellite Beach yesterday, the water in
our canal rose about 4 ft above normal.
A neighbor had his jet boat (oversized jet ski) on the lift but not tied to
the dock. After the boat traveled around that side of the canal a bit, he
got it back to his yard and pulled it into the yard and tied it to a tree.
Water at all time time high.
The water dropped rapidly after the storm went by and now this 1,500 lb
oversized jet ski is about 3 feet above the water with a concrete sea wall
in the way.
How do you explain to the insurance company that you need a crane to launch
the boat you put in the yard? ...

He can wait for another hurricane to help him put it back in the canal.
Rick

he can build a earthen pond around the boat and down to the waters edge.
Fill with water and float the boat to the water. Break open the wall to
drain the water and spread the remaining dirt around the yard.

wrote in message
news

"MMC" wrote:
While Wilma was passing us here in Satellite Beach yesterday, the water in
our canal rose about 4 ft above normal.
A neighbor had his jet boat (oversized jet ski) on the lift but not tied
the dock. After the boat traveled around that side of the canal a bit, he
got it back to his yard and pulled it into the yard and tied it to a tree.
Water at all time time high.
The water dropped rapidly after the storm went by and now this 1,500 lb
oversized jet ski is about 3 feet above the water with a concrete sea wall
in the way.
How do you explain to the insurance company that you need a crane to
launch
the boat you put in the yard? ...

He can wait for another hurricane to help him put it back in the canal.

MMC

What I saw took place in the late 80's and the beach happened to be fairly
skinny then, before a replenishment. Yes, it is illegal to drive on the
beach here and has been for a long time.
Why would anyone make up a story about jet skis? Anyone that spends any time
at all will see something comical/stupid/tragic connected to these man made
mosquitos.
MMC

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

True, but substitute pretty much any other kind of boat for "jet skis"
and the statement is just as true.

richforman

Scotty

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why would anyone make up a story about jet skis? Anyone that

spends any time
at all will see something comical/stupid/tragic connected to

these man made
mosquitos

True, but substitute pretty much any other kind of boat for

"jet skis"
and the statement is just as true.

So you think of a cruise ship as a man made mosquito?

Capri

Why would anyone make up a story about jet skis? Anyone that spends
any time
at all will see something comical/stupid/tragic connected to these
man made
mosquitos.

Didn't mean to make it sound like you were making it up. I've seen some
pretty strange things happen around boat ramps. Maybe this guy thought
that it was a boat ramp and just not a ramp to the beach. If so he
must have a few too many or some peculiar drugs or as Uncle Harry use
to say, he just may have been a couple of slices of bread short of a
sandwich.

One of the Best jet ski/Ramp fiascoes I ever saw happened at Canaveral
Inlet. There is a ramp right next to the restaurant (Grills?) so it
gets a lot of viewer attention. Anyway, this yahoo comes backing down
the ramp with his jet ski on a small trailer. He put on his brakes and
the jet skid slid right off and floated about 20' out into the canal.
It wasn't even tied to the trailer. fortunately there were other boats
which retrieved his jet ski for him but he sure got a standing ovation
from the crowd on the deck of the restaurant.

Ha ha, (wise guy!), after I posted I realized that the "mosquito" part
of the original statement, doesn't apply to every other kind of boat
(including 4-stroke pwc's like mine and the vast majority of them being
sold now - much quieter than most other powerboats out on the
water)....obviously though, I was referring to the fact that you'll see
all kinds of "comical/stupid/tragic" hijinks involving any kind of
recreational boat you can think of.

richforman

Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
re-floating a capsized boat CJ2 ASA 0 October 14th 05 01:39 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM