Jim,

Default boat-wrap for Winter ?

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:22:58 GMT, Courtney Thomas
said:

That's what I was looking for....i.e. the reason that some/most
boatowners decide to cover, i.e. the destructive potential of the
thaw/freeze cycle of the encumbent precipitation.

Yes. One problem, of course, is that unless you shrink-wrap it's nearly
impossible to keep out every bit of snow and rain. And if it's there, it's
going to freeze, with the results described. This becomes a particular
problem when you store with the mast in, as about half of the owners do
around here. How do you get a decent seal around the mast, and where the two
tarps come together?

At my YC it's a Do It Yourself project for them who want to participate.
Cost of wrapping a 25' boat is about $100. We bought the torch, and
help each other rig the support webbing.

To keep things dry here's a low cost Dehumidifier.

Get 2 milk carton things of the non sidewalk salt (Calcium Chloride) And
dump 1 into each leg of a pair of pantyhose. Hang the pantyhose over a
driveway sealer bucket. The Calcium Chloride is hygroscopic and will
absorb moisture, and the water will drip into the bucket. Come spring,
dump the bucket, toss the pantyhose, and you're done. Should be enough
to keep a well sealed up 25' boat dry for a season -- if you have a
bigger boat, scale up accordingly.

Hi, I just bought my 25' cruiser and I hope to store it in my back yard
(alot of space) for winter. I need your help on deciding whether to
shrink wrap or not. Marina's around here asks for around $200.00. Even
if I shrink wrap it, my village requires the boat to be totally
enclosed. In order to enclose, I have decided to buy a shelter that
comes with a metal frame and tarps that closes from all sides for
around $700.00. This looks great and it comes with a warranty. I was
thinking this will save me money on the long run. The shelter will
remain permanently. The floor ofcourse will be my yard (grass). Since
I have a shelter that covers the boat from all sides do I still need to
shrink wrap? Some one mentioned about moisture problems and shrink
wrap is the best and my shelter will not work for this. Any words of
wisdom is greatly appreciated. I was hoping the shelter will be
sufficient and save the $200 annual cost. Thanks,

RD

Roger Long

Shrink wrap is the cause of moisture problems. The boat is so tight
it can't ventilate.

Leave all the ports and hatches open under your shelter.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

sherwindu

To be safe, I would only crack the ports and hatches. You don't need a huge amount
of air circulation to keep mold from forming. I would however add some of these anti-mold packets
(available at West Marine) scattered through the boat, especially if
you are in a mild winter zone.

Sherwin D.

Roger Long wrote:

Shrink wrap is the cause of moisture problems. The boat is so tight
it can't ventilate.

Leave all the ports and hatches open under your shelter.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Scotty

"Jere Lull" wrote

Some one mentioned about moisture problems and shrink
wrap is the best

Read some more.
Shrink wrap usually causes the moisture problems, when it's not
'vented' properly.
Think condensation - mildew. Your boat needs to breathe.
Your portable garage should be just fine. Do you have vents?

SBV

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Scotty" wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote

Some one mentioned about moisture problems and shrink
wrap is the best

Read some more. Shrink wrap usually causes the moisture problems,
when it's not 'vented' properly. Think condensation - mildew. Your
boat needs to breathe. Your portable garage should be just fine. Do
you have vents?

SBV

You snipped me too early or included another's post as mine, as I am NOT
a proponent of shrink wrap.

I like the idea of a portable garage, since the boat in my back yard is
getting that treatment this winter.

--
Jere Lull
Scotty

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Scotty" wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote

Some one mentioned about moisture problems and shrink
wrap is the best

Read some more. Shrink wrap usually causes the moisture

problems,
when it's not 'vented' properly. Think condensation - mildew.

Your
boat needs to breathe. Your portable garage should be just

fine. Do
you have vents?

SBV

You snipped me too early or included another's post as mine, as

I am NOT
a proponent of shrink wrap.

I like the idea of a portable garage, since the boat in my back

yard is
getting that treatment this winter.

Yup, I used to winter the Mac 26 in my barn.

SBV

Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
re-floating a capsized boat CJ2 ASA 0 October 14th 05 01:39 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM