Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Don White

Default Reaching out with one watt of VHF

Harry Krause wrote:
With my VHF tranmitting at 25 watts, I can easily reach out from one
side of Chesapeake Bay to the other in most places.

At the 1 watt setting, who knows?

For the sake of discussions, let's say on a clear day from my VHF
antenna, which is approximately 14' above the waterline, a 25 watt
transmission reaches someone 12 miles away with a similar antenna height.

Is there a way to figure how far a 1 watt setting will reach with the
same equipment?

Don't know how to calculate that...but in our VHF course we were advised
to use the 1 watt when in a small harbour or at an anchorage. The idea
was that 25 watt was overkill in this situation and would add to the
clutter for people a fair distance away.