mitch

Default 1000 Watt Generator + 1000 Watt Charger = 180 Watts output?

Can't believe I'm the first person with this problem, but did a couple
searches and turned up nuttin...

Have a 1000 Watt Gasoline Yamaha generator connected to a Heart
Interface Freedom 10. Batteries are a pair of 8D gels in parallel,
old but servicable. Monitoring system by Ample Power.

Hook 'em all up, and with batteries at about 50% (12.1 to 12.2) I get
a MAX of 15 amps DC, call it 180 watts into the batteries. Swapped
generators, EXACT same output. A visiting cruiser suspected that the
Heart is REALLY inefficient at generator-based power charging. Maybe,
but 20% efficient sounds a bit loony...

I am currently at anchor for awhile, so the purpose of the Yamaha was
to not require using my Perkins 4-108 with 150 amp alternator in order
to keep my beer cold; I'd rather save my engine for propulsion. But
when I do use the engine to charge, it works as expected based upon
state of charge - 130 amps initially, 3 stages, yada yada.

Ideas?

SV KOMFY
American Samoa
Larry W4CSC

That's all the CHARGING circuit of your Heart is capable of putting
out. The 1000W is for the INVERTER in it, not the little 10A charger.
1000W/14V= 71Amps. That's gonna be one BIG charger!

On 9 Oct 2003 19:10:53 -0700, (mitch) wrote:

[...]

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Jeff Morris

The rated charging output of a Freedom 10 is 50 Amps. My Freedom 20 is rated at 100 Amps
and will put that out if my bank (4 6-volts, 450 AH) is partially depleted.
http://www.xantrex.com/products/product.asp?did=555&p=2

If your bank will accept 130 Amps from the alternator then the problem isn't there.

I've never tried it from a genset. Is your generator producing a sine wave, or is it an
alternator feeding an inverter, which may produce a square wave?

You should go through the manual to make sure you didn't miss something embarrassing, and
then call Xantrex support. They were very helpful for me when I plugged my 110 Freedom 20
into a 220 socket! (There's an undoc'd fuse inside that fortunately pops very quickly!)

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Woodward

Most of the inverter/chargers have bigger ratings as inverters than as
chargers. This mostly makes sense -- for the average user, the
inverter's continous rating will rarely be used for very long, while
the charger's rated output will be used on every charge. Battery life
is cloesly related to the rate at which you charge and discharge them,
so generally at battery set that's good for 1,000 watts every now and
then should not be charged faster than, say, 500 watts.

With that said, the spec on your charger
http://www.xantrex.com/products/product.asp?did=555&p=2
says that it will do 50A on the charge side -- still only 70% of the
AC rating, but a lot more than the 15A you're seeing.

I suggest you put a DVM across the battery posts while charging and
see what you get. It's possible that your "old but serviceable" 8Ds
are not as serviceable as you think -- that they've developed a high
internal resistance in one or more cells. Unfortunately there's not a
lot you can do, as gel cells can't be equalized.

It's also possible that you're losing power in a lose connection
somewhere -- that's both frustrating and dangerous.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(mitch) wrote:

[...]

Doug Dotson

71 amps isn't all that big of a charger. Especially when you are using
a genset to recharge. I can recharge while pulling the cold plates
down. Only having to run an hour in the morning and an hour
in the evening. Mine is 110 amps and I can upgrade it to 220 amps.
I suspect that KOMFY's problem is that his generator is coupled
to an inverter generating MSW output. A friend this past winter had
a Coleman or Honda that was such a unit. It allows the RPM of
the engine to be adjusted automatically to varying loads. Normal
gensets can't do that without the line frequency varying off of 60Hz.

Doug

[...]

David Q. King

So the Xantrex inverter I have, DR1512, is a 1500 watt inverter with a
maximum of 70 amps charging capacity. There is a knob to adjust the maximum
rate of charge. Perhaps Heart does something similar? A quick look at the
heart data sheet on the Xantrex web site says the Freedom 10 inverter
charger is 50 amps. http://www.xantrex.com/support/docserve.asp?id=269

The manual http://www.xantrex.com/support/docserve.asp?id=431
says you have a two bank charge capacity. The "echo-charge" bank charges at
15 amps and is intended for the starting battery. Perhaps you want to review
how the Heart is setup.

Good luck!
David, KJ7PF

[...]

Larry W4CSC

If you have 700 AH house batteries, 70A is the standard charge (10%)
for 14 hours (from "dead", about 1.150 specific gravity).

But, if you hit a poor 130AH deep cycle with 70A trying to charge it
quicker, all you'll do is cause gassing and loss of water, while
overheating and warping the plates and case plastic.

Please don't charge any of them over 10% of AH capacity to get the
best charge without endangering the cells.......otherwise all you get
is a "surface charge" without deep cell restoration. The voltage will
come up quickly, but you still won't get a good charge.....

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:17:41 GMT, "David Q. King"
wrote:

[...]

US Supports Apartheid! Vetoes UN resolution
condemning Apartheid Wall.
http://www.antiwar.com/hacohen/h052103.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...917478560.html
Can apartheid at home be far away?....
Apartheid NOW! Wall off Mississippi!

G.rivera

IMHO - your problem relates to the wave shape from the generator - most
inverter/chargers use only the very top portion of the wave shape for the
charger circuit - An irregular wave shape (which is very likely from low
cost genset) will result in lower than expected charge rates - for example -
using a Trace 2000 unit on shore power I can charge at any rate desired;
however, when using a Phasor 3600 rpm 3.5 KW genset I can achieve only about
30 amp rate into a 620 AMPHour house bank and it decreases rapidly to about
20 amps as the genset windings heat up.

See the Trace Engineering/ XANTREX site and read the owners manuals for
Trace 2000 sB12 unit for full explanation. Your generator is most like
"construction grade" not aux power grade and does not have a well regulated
output - if you are electronically inclined locate an oscilloscope and look
at output wave form you will be very surprised how bad it looks compared to
"house power"