Wayne.B

Default 400 Watt Xantrex Inverter at Costco for $29

Just got back from a shopping trip to Costco tonight and was
pleasantly surprised to find a Xantrex 400 watt inverter in the
automotive and tools department for $29.

It has several attractive features that I've not seen before on
small/inexpensive inverters:

1. A digital display that will read out DC volts, AC volts or AC
watts.

2. Choice of cigarette lighter adapter or leads with aligator clips
(all included).

3. Two grounded outlets instead of the usual one.

What the heck, the DC digital voltmeter alone is worth $29 so needless
to say it has joined my ever growing inverter collection and will
probably reside at the lower helm station where it will power a
laptop.

For those who really want to know, I have no business connection with
either Xantrex or Costco.
Stephen Trapani

Wayne.B wrote:
Just got back from a shopping trip to Costco tonight and was
pleasantly surprised to find a Xantrex 400 watt inverter in the
automotive and tools department for $29.

It has several attractive features that I've not seen before on
small/inexpensive inverters:

1. A digital display that will read out DC volts, AC volts or AC
watts.

2. Choice of cigarette lighter adapter or leads with aligator clips
(all included).

3. Two grounded outlets instead of the usual one.

What the heck, the DC digital voltmeter alone is worth $29 so needless
to say it has joined my ever growing inverter collection and will
probably reside at the lower helm station where it will power a
laptop.

For those who really want to know, I have no business connection with
either Xantrex or Costco.

Neither do I, but a friend of mine got the Xantrex 1500/3000 at Costco
for under $85, which is better than I've seen anywhere, including ebay.
I went to a different Costco and couldn't find it though.

Stephen
Tamaroak

I bought one at Sam's Club which has to be identicle and have had no
problems with it at all.

Capt. jeff
HaKrause

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:35:39 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

It has several attractive features that I've not seen before on
small/inexpensive inverters:

I personally dont have any need for any inverters smaller than 6okw,
but good deal on that one.
Ken Heaton

Comments below:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
Just got back from a shopping trip to Costco tonight and was
pleasantly surprised to find a Xantrex 400 watt inverter in the
automotive and tools department for $29.

It has several attractive features that I've not seen before on
small/inexpensive inverters:

1. A digital display that will read out DC volts, AC volts or AC
watts.

2. Choice of cigarette lighter adapter or leads with aligator clips
(all included).

3. Two grounded outlets instead of the usual one.

What the heck, the DC digital voltmeter alone is worth $29 so needless
to say it has joined my ever growing inverter collection and will
probably reside at the lower helm station where it will power a
laptop.

For those who really want to know, I have no business connection with
either Xantrex or Costco.

In Canada, Canadian Tire sells the Xantrex 200, 400 and 800 watt versions,
identical to that described, rebranded in the Motomaster name. I've an 800
watt version in my work truck, run directly off the battery with fused 2
gauge cables. I'm very pleased with it, especially considering how
inexpensive it was. Interestingly, the cooling fan only comes on once the
inverter's output exceeds a certain number of watts, I don't remember how
many, so for light loads its operation is silent.
--
Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

Wayne.B

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:29:01 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Those have been on the market at our local Costco for
a couple of years. More impressive is the 1000 Watt model
for $69.

======================

Didn't see that one. Does it have a digital voltmeter also?

1000 watts is a bit on the large side in my opinion unless you go for
the full hard wired, inverter/charger set up, although I guess it
might be handy for occasional use with tools, microwave, etc. I get a
lot of mileage out of the small inverters running laptops in the boats
and cars.

Doug Dotson

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:29:01 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Those have been on the market at our local Costco for
a couple of years. More impressive is the 1000 Watt model
for $69.

======================

Didn't see that one. Does it have a digital voltmeter also?

Not as I recall, but that is unnessary inasmuch as battery monitor should be
instlled in any setup large enough to use a 1000W inverter.

1000 watts is a bit on the large side in my opinion unless you go for
the full hard wired, inverter/charger set up,

This one was wired in. 1000W out of a cigarette lighter plug would be
a bit much.

although I guess it
might be handy for occasional use with tools, microwave, etc.

We use ours mostly for the laptop, but also for the microwave, vacuum
cleaner, etc.

I get a
lot of mileage out of the small inverters running laptops in the boats
and cars.

If that is all you need then the 300W is good. I just saw a bunch af 300W
inverters for $19 today at a hamfest/