dlg

Default The Moorings

What ever you do, don't charter from the Moorings. I have chartered

from them a dozen times. The last two were a disaster. Since the

founders sold, service has plummeted. And customer service and follow

up is terrible. Write me if you would like a four page letter about

the problems I had in Cannouan. And the Virgins, And Tonga.

~^ beancounter ~^

i was about to sign up for a bvi week charter...
please fwd to me your details....thanx !!

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
i was about to sign up for a bvi week charter...
please fwd to me your details....thanx !!

You might want to check out TMM (Tortola Marine Management). They're
very good, boats are nice, and not expensive. I can send you all kinds
of contact info if you like.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Glenn Ashmore

I would not put a lot of credibility on a one time (or very rare) poster
making vague negative comments about charter companies. The Moorings base
on Tortola has a lot of very loyal customers and I hear very few complaints.

OTOH, if you are reasonably experienced with keel boats you might look into
the second market. I use BVI yacht management. Some of their boats are
older Moorings boats but most are individual first owner boats. All are in
good condition and the price is a good 15% under Moorings. Others you
might look at are North/South, TMM and Horizon to name a few.

When you book your boat don't take the provisioning package. Way to
expensive and you end up with a lot of things you won't eat. Lay out your
menu and fill out the spreadsheet from Bobby's Market Place.
http://www.bobbysmarketplace.com/#FO...20PROVISIONING
Leon, the manager, will reply with any questions or substitutions and
deliver it to your boat when and where you say. You will save about 40%
over having the charter company do it.

For a wealth of information and more advice sign into the BVI forum at
Travel Talk On Line.
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/foru...Cat=&Board=bvi

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
oups.com...
i was about to sign up for a bvi week charter...
please fwd to me your details....thanx !!

Capt. JG

Well, I've heard several stories that have indicated the same sort of thing.
My personal experience has been that the service has declined over the six
trips (about a 10 year timeframe). I have a friend who as a former exec in
the company, and he had the same complaint. At the time, I took it for a bit
of sour grapes, but since then I noticed the degradation in service.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
[...]

Jere Lull

In article heGXe.27431$hp.12256@lakeread08,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

Others you might look at are North/South.....

Glenn, do you have current info on North/South? The last I heard was
when they were trying to correct their dismal, and earned, reputation.
I'd like to bring that part of our pages up to date.

For a wealth of information and more advice sign into the BVI forum at
Travel Talk On Line.
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=bvi

I wholeheartedly second this recommendation.

--
Jere Lull
Glenn Ashmore

North/South hit it's low point about 2000. From what I heard the on site
manager was pocketing a lot of the maintenance money. Brian, the owner up
in Toronto, finally figured out what was happening and spent a lot of cash
setting things right. I stopped by back in August to check on their
progress. I would rate the boats in high second tier condition now.
Chandi, who started out as a dock boy, is now the manager and doing a very
good job.

Damage to their reputation is going to take a lot longer to repair though.
They are giving deeper off season discounts and more extra days trying to
rebuild their customer base so you can get some pretty good deals. I have
found a home with BVIYC so I doubt I will go back.

Moorings dlg Cruising 2 February 15th 05 05:29 PM
Moorings dlg General 0 February 11th 05 05:32 PM
The Moorings David Glueck Cruising 1 July 4th 04 09:58 PM
Moorings John Cairns ASA 39 September 1st 03 07:38 AM
Freehold, Land Boats Moorings and Fishing. Bjay Cruising 0 July 17th 03 12:10 AM