croberts

Default advice please

I currently singlehand a 27ft sloop off the Australian East Coast on day
cruisers and two overnighters up the coast recently, but have no real
offshore experience. I am keen on trading up to 32 to 34 ft sloop so I can
cruise further afield but still singlehand if I want. Looking at the web
sales there seems to be a huge range available at reasonable prices in
California, The Gulf states and Florida? (I understand Katrina may have
accounted for quite a few in the Gulf though). I am playing with the idea of
purchasing a boat in the US and singlehanding back across the pacific over
about three months. It seems that $30,000 US will get me something about
33ft (1970s to early 80s)in reasonable nick. Prime considerstion is a
reasonable sized diesel in good condition and a sound hull/sloop rig,
(reasonably long keel i suppose). There seems to be quite a few Oday33s and
Morgan Out Islander 33s available. Has anyone any comments about my plan,
the boats mentioned or other suitable boats in that price range?

Jere Lull

In article ,
"croberts" wrote:

[...]

Check out the possibilities a little more locally. I just read that
there are a number of end-of-journey cruising boats in SE Asia,
Thailand, I believe.

Sailing a boat halfway around the world for your first passage is
do-able, but I wouldn't want to do it in a boat I didn't know well.

--
Jere Lull
croberts

Yes, I am looking at South east asia too. It certainly is a lot closer (and
involves coming home via Great Barrier reef islands) but there does not
seem to be a lot on the web from that region. where were you reading about
it. I also understand the size of the venture i am contemplating!! I do have
guts and it would make one hell of a story!
"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"croberts" wrote:

[...]

croberts

Thanks Courtney
actually I am on east coast australia but close (1000 miles south east). No
i havent heard of the Ganley but a 34 ft cutter sounds ideal. i will have a
look for it thanks. Are they kiwi?
"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
news
[...]

Andy

croberts wrote:
[...]

Your project seems feasible to me. My wife and I took 4 days of sailing
lessons, bought a boat, outfitted it, and then went cruising for a year
from San Diego to Panama and back with our three dogs. It was an
awesome adventure!

You can probably find a decent boat in the 33 foot range for a decent
price. Then you will probably have to outfit/upgrade the boat, which
is going to cost you another $10,000+ unless you are really lucky and
find a fully outfitted ocean cruiser which is ready to go (rare). Also,
outfitting and provisioning the boat, plus taking her on some shakedown
cruises, is going to take you minimum of 1-3 months, and possibly more,
depending on the boat.

So, if I was going to do what you plan, I would allow a minimum of 1
month of living on the US west coast to find and purchase the boat, and
then another 1-4 months and from $5,000 to $15,000 to get her ready for
an ocean cruise and do a shakedown cruise. Then, I would leave for
Mexico after hurricane season passes, and do some cruising for another
3-4 months or so in Mexico to gain some more experience and work the
kinks out. Only then would I take off for the south pacific and
Australia.

Its perfectly feasible, but allow plenty of time and money. Whatever
you do, don't buy a boat over the internet and then fly out and expect
to leave 2 weeks later. Its theoretically possible, but unlikely.

Fair winds and following seas,

Andy