markeike

Default Norwegian "sjekte" wooden boat advice requested

I need some advice from wooden boat experts out there. It has recently
become possibly feasible for me to acquire the wooden boat that my
grandfather had built in Norway about 60 years ago named Mokko. (this
picture is about 15 to 18 years old-
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~markeike/files/Mokko.jpg.) I am now
living in Seattle and some relatives in Norway have alerted me to the
fact that it is sitting idle in the neighbor's yard that it was sold
to and that the owners might be persuaded to sell her. The idea of
acquiring my grandfather's boat that I spent several wonderful
summers aboard as a child (I am now 45) is very tempting in spite of
the costs involved in getting her from Norway to Seattle.

Anyway, I'm looking for anyone out there who might give me some
advice on any of the problems I may face undertaking this project. I
apologize for the long-winded, open-ended nature of this post but I'm
somewhat out of my element here and I'm hoping to find someone with a
similar boat whose brain I can pick.

I'll give you some facts and assumptions about Mokko (most of which
are from memories that are more than 30 years old coupled with some
recent research). It's a heavy keeled double-ended launch. Similar
boats are referred to in Norway as "sjekte" or "fishing boats"
which shows how common they were. Mokko is about 22' long with about
a 7' beam. I believe it is Carvel planked mahogany on an oak frame
and is completely varnished above the water line, and bottom painted
below the water line. The engine is a single cylinder hand crank start
diesel (possibly a Sabb G 10HP) with a large diameter bronze reversible
prop. I distinctly remember that the rotation on the prop was
surprisingly slow for a boat this size - as a child, I would hang
over the side and watch it rotate magically through the water - I
doubt it was more than 200 rpm at cruising speed of about 7 knots.

I have not seen Mokko but I still have relatives in Norway who are
skilled carpenters and at least 2 who are retired boatwrights who've
built boats like this in the past. At least one has conveyed confidence
that she can be relatively easily restored but I don't yet know the
details. At this point, I don't know if it is more cost effective to
have it repaired in Norway (where experienced labor is plentiful but
the exchange rate is unfavorable). That will largely be decided by
Mokko's condition and my relatives' willingness to act as my
agent(s) or actually affect the repairs. I am willing to take on some
interior carpentry, mechanical repairs, and sanding and varnishing/
bottom painting but I will not undertake the project unless the hull is
sound (or can be made so), or if an expensive re-powering is required.

Here are some questions-

1. If the engine, shaft, and propeller are salvageable, is it worth
restoring them? Although quite simple, this engine is a relic and I
wonder if parts are still available or if it is better to replace it.
If not would a modern marine diesel work? For example, the reversible
prop eliminated the need for a transmission. Is this type of setup
still available?
2. Has anyone container shipped a boat of this size from/to Europe? If
so, what did it cost in terms of shipping, port costs, paperwork,
tariffs, taxes, etc?
3. I would prefer to keep Mokko in fresh water (Lake Washington) with
occasional trips thru the locks to salt water (Puget Sound). If the
boat is mahogany, is that compatible with fresh water?
4. I understand that this type of boat is not seaworthy until fully
soaked. I vaguely remember that my grandfather used to partially sink a
smaller lapstrake hull rowboat the beginning of every season until the
seams swelled shut. He'd then bail it out after a few days and it
would be seaworthy as long as the hull stayed wet, with minor bailing
every few days. Would this be required for Mokko? How is this handled
in modern marinas? Do they have facilities for supporting a boat for a
few days in a sling or cradle during this period? Does this eliminate
trailering or dry storage for this boat or can modern epoxy coatings
and paint allow this. Mokko was kept in a boathouse during the winter
but I don't know what was required to get her ready for the season
other than a new coat of varnish.
5. What should I expect to pay for a maintenance haul-out, pressure
wash, and anti-fouling for a boat of this size and construction (this
is after the initial restoration)? How often should I expect to have to
do this? Does fresh water moorage prolong or shorten the interval)?

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing from any experts who are willing to
offer any answers, opinions or advice. Thanks in advance for any input
you can offer.

Oddgeir Kvien

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:41:54 -0700, markeike wrote:

I need some advice from wooden boat experts out there. It has recently
become possibly feasible for me to acquire the wooden boat that my
grandfather had built in Norway about 60 years ago named Mokko. (this
picture is about 15 to 18 years old-
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~markeike/files/Mokko.jpg.)

Nice boat :-)

... snip ....

Here are some questions-

1. If the engine, shaft, and propeller are salvageable, is it worth
restoring them? Although quite simple, this engine is a relic and I
wonder if parts are still available or if it is better to replace it. If
not would a modern marine diesel work? For example, the reversible prop
eliminated the need for a transmission. Is this type of setup still
available?

Spare parts for the SABB should be available. They are good engine and
very reliable.

2. Has anyone container shipped a boat of this size from/to Europe? If
so, what did it cost in terms of shipping, port costs, paperwork,
tariffs, taxes, etc?

There are a lot of import of used boats from the US to Europe. They have
some problem with the CE marking, but that shuld be no problem the
opposite way.

3. I would prefer to keep Mokko in fresh water (Lake Washington) with
occasional trips thru the locks to salt water (Puget Sound). If the boat
is mahogany, is that compatible with fresh water?

All wood will rot more easy in fresh water than in salt water, since the
salt are preserving the wood. But as long as it is properly looked after
that should not be any problem.

4. I understand that
this type of boat is not seaworthy until fully soaked. I vaguely
remember that my grandfather used to partially sink a smaller lapstrake
hull rowboat the beginning of every season until the seams swelled shut.
He'd then bail it out after a few days and it would be seaworthy as long
as the hull stayed wet, with minor bailing every few days. Would this be
required for Mokko?

Yes

How is this handled in modern marinas? Do they have
facilities for supporting a boat for a few days in a sling or cradle
during this period?

If you are willing to pay for it I assume you can get arrangement you
like. Normally you look after the boat a few times a day the few first
days, to remove the water, the maybe once a day after it is swelled. You
might also use a pump to automatically remove the water, but don't
trust it.

Does this eliminate trailering or dry storage for
this boat or can modern epoxy coatings and paint allow this.

Do not paint or cover an old boat with Epoxy, _IT WILL ROT_
Mokko was
kept in a boathouse during the winter but I don't know what was required
to get her ready for the season other than a new coat of varnish. 5.
What should I expect to pay for a maintenance haul-out, pressure wash,
and anti-fouling for a boat of this size and construction (this is after
the initial restoration)?

Don't know.

How often should I expect to have to do this?

Once a year.

If you are able to read/write in Norwegian, take a look at:
http://www.baatplassen.no

There you can get a loot of advices.

--
Oddgeir