Oddgeir Kvien

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:41:54 -0700, markeike wrote:

I need some advice from wooden boat experts out there. It has recently
become possibly feasible for me to acquire the wooden boat that my
grandfather had built in Norway about 60 years ago named Mokko. (this
picture is about 15 to 18 years old-
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~markeike/files/Mokko.jpg.)

Nice boat :-)

... snip ....

Here are some questions-

1. If the engine, shaft, and propeller are salvageable, is it worth
restoring them? Although quite simple, this engine is a relic and I
wonder if parts are still available or if it is better to replace it. If
not would a modern marine diesel work? For example, the reversible prop
eliminated the need for a transmission. Is this type of setup still
available?

Spare parts for the SABB should be available. They are good engine and
very reliable.

2. Has anyone container shipped a boat of this size from/to Europe? If
so, what did it cost in terms of shipping, port costs, paperwork,
tariffs, taxes, etc?

There are a lot of import of used boats from the US to Europe. They have
some problem with the CE marking, but that shuld be no problem the
opposite way.

3. I would prefer to keep Mokko in fresh water (Lake Washington) with
occasional trips thru the locks to salt water (Puget Sound). If the boat
is mahogany, is that compatible with fresh water?

All wood will rot more easy in fresh water than in salt water, since the
salt are preserving the wood. But as long as it is properly looked after
that should not be any problem.

4. I understand that
this type of boat is not seaworthy until fully soaked. I vaguely
remember that my grandfather used to partially sink a smaller lapstrake
hull rowboat the beginning of every season until the seams swelled shut.
He'd then bail it out after a few days and it would be seaworthy as long
as the hull stayed wet, with minor bailing every few days. Would this be
required for Mokko?

Yes

How is this handled in modern marinas? Do they have
facilities for supporting a boat for a few days in a sling or cradle
during this period?

If you are willing to pay for it I assume you can get arrangement you
like. Normally you look after the boat a few times a day the few first
days, to remove the water, the maybe once a day after it is swelled. You
might also use a pump to automatically remove the water, but don't
trust it.

Does this eliminate trailering or dry storage for
this boat or can modern epoxy coatings and paint allow this.

Do not paint or cover an old boat with Epoxy, _IT WILL ROT_
Mokko was
kept in a boathouse during the winter but I don't know what was required
to get her ready for the season other than a new coat of varnish. 5.
What should I expect to pay for a maintenance haul-out, pressure wash,
and anti-fouling for a boat of this size and construction (this is after
the initial restoration)?

Don't know.

How often should I expect to have to do this?

Once a year.

If you are able to read/write in Norwegian, take a look at:
http://www.baatplassen.no

There you can get a loot of advices.

--
Oddgeir