Jeannette

Default Cruising BC Canada

Hello,

We are thinking about having our boat transported From La Paz to
Vancouver by Dockwise next year. I am just looking into that idea at
the moment. We are what could be defined as commuter/cruisers since we
still have full time jobs and go to the boat for a couple of weeks
every 2 months or so.
We would like to know about the feasibility of having our boat in BC
for a couple of years and commute there to cruise pretty much the way
we have been doing the Sea of Cortez.
Cost of marinas. Availability of marina slips and/or dry docking.
Legality of leaving the boat there for extented times.

Love to hear from people who have boats up there.

Thanks,
Jeannette
Con Te Partiro
San Carlos, MX

Evan Gatehouse

Jeannette wrote:

Hello,

We are thinking about having our boat transported From La Paz to
Vancouver by Dockwise next year. I am just looking into that idea at
the moment. We are what could be defined as commuter/cruisers since we
still have full time jobs and go to the boat for a couple of weeks
every 2 months or so.
We would like to know about the feasibility of having our boat in BC
for a couple of years and commute there to cruise pretty much the way
we have been doing the Sea of Cortez.

If you're American, you should also consider Point Roberts
Marina, in the US, just over the border. Easy 12 mile sail
to the Gulf Islands. About 45 minutes from Vancouver
driving + a border crossing which can vary.

Cost of marinas.

Anywhere from $12/ft/month in downtown/False Creek area down
to what I pay for a fisherman's dock on the Fraser River
($5/ft/mo), about 1/2 hr drive south of Vancouver.

My dock is about 7 miles from open water but I time
departures/returns to take advantage of the tidal current in
the river to minimize passage time up the river. Sometimes
we can sail 1/2 way up the river to the slip.

Availability of marina slips and/or dry docking.

Pretty good availability if you're 35-40', not a lot of
places to haul the boat for extended periods of time. If
your boat isn't 23' wide like mine is, Shelter Island Marina
might be reasonable, but no great saving over having it in
the water I think. I think they charge $400/mo for a
regular width 40' boat + haulout fees which are around $400
for in/out/blocking.

Legality of leaving the boat there for extented times.

If you're American that gets tricky.

I think there is a 6 month or 1 year maximum limit. But you
could sail the boat into U.S. waters and then return
immediately afterward and that may start the clock ticking
again.

How hot is it getting in San Carlos right now! (we cruised
Mexico in 95/96 and spent the summer in the Sea)

Evan Gatehouse
Gordon Wedman

"Jeannette" wrote in message
Hello,

We are thinking about having our boat transported From La Paz to
Vancouver by Dockwise next year. I am just looking into that idea at
the moment. We are what could be defined as commuter/cruisers since we
still have full time jobs and go to the boat for a couple of weeks
every 2 months or so.
We would like to know about the feasibility of having our boat in BC
for a couple of years and commute there to cruise pretty much the way
we have been doing the Sea of Cortez.
Cost of marinas. Availability of marina slips and/or dry docking.
Legality of leaving the boat there for extented times.

Love to hear from people who have boats up there.

Thanks,
Jeannette
Con Te Partiro
San Carlos, MX

I think about $4US/foot would be about average unless you are staying in
downtown Vancouver or Victoria. There a plenty of marinas on Vancouver
Island and up the mainland coast where you could leave the boat as well.
This would give you somewhat quicker access to the most favourable cruising
grounds than if you kept the boat in Vancouver. Marina space is scarce in
some places like Nanaimo but I'm sure you could find something if you
checked around.
Point Roberts would be a pretty good option as you could get to the San
Juans and Gulf Islands fairly easily and you could avoid the hassle of
keeping your boat in a foreign country. Don't know about cost and
availability there but I'm sure you could email them.
Have you considered trucking the boat up? I think it would be a lot cheaper
than Dockwise in general and particularly if you trucked from San Diego. Of
course you may not want to sail upwind to San Diego.

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
An essay on cruising boats DSK Cruising 0 June 17th 05 01:15 PM
Understanding Cruising (from rec.boats.cruising) Capt. Neal® ASA 5 April 8th 05 07:19 PM
Cruising Canada and past DWIs Russell ASA 21 January 4th 05 11:41 PM
Oh Canada! Bob Crantz ASA 0 July 17th 04 03:32 PM