Default Using 2 sails for the CDI furler

On my CDI furler, the RF jib is initially raised up the furler by means
of a halyard built into the furler. The sail must have a #6 foil
rather than hanks. Would it really be any trouble to change sails?
With the current set-up, this would involve a trip to the bow but so
would changing a sail with a conventional system.

Steve

I change head sails on my Harken furler when ever a different size or cut
would best match the wind conditions.

I normally carry a working jib, which is well suited to motor sailing or
frequent tacks, a 120 or 150 Genoa or both (depending if I have an empty
bunk to store the unused sail in).

Until I discovered the advantage of a furler "PreFeeder" I always considered
a furler sail change a real Pain in the A$$ and suffered with poor sail
shape of a partial furled sail (at times). I even considered switching back
to hanked on sails prior to the PreFeeder.

Initial I thought they were over priced but now I consider mine well worth
the money. (about $25-30 bucks.) Mine is the small triangular with brass
rollers, on the end of a lanyard. There are others, but I have never had
reason to try anything different. I just leave mine tied on the bow rail at
the proper length and height for my setup.

If in doubt, talk to someone else at your marina/club and ask them to show
you how they deal with "PreFeeders", if any. Maybe borrow one for a test.

My experience and opinion, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
wrote in message
oups.com...
On my CDI furler, the RF jib is initially raised up the furler by means
of a halyard built into the furler. The sail must have a #6 foil
rather than hanks. Would it really be any trouble to change sails?
With the current set-up, this would involve a trip to the bow but so
would changing a sail with a conventional system.

Terry Spragg

Jere Lull wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

On my CDI furler, the RF jib is initially raised up the furler by means
of a halyard built into the furler. The sail must have a #6 foil
rather than hanks. Would it really be any trouble to change sails?
With the current set-up, this would involve a trip to the bow but so
would changing a sail with a conventional system.

A prefeeder is a good idea. It's easy to jam the sail --and enlarge the
slot-- if you're in a hurry.

Changing sails on a CDI isn't as easy as some, so I would do it
primarily at anchor. When we're out and things blow up, I partially furl
and live with the decreased performance rather than risk my hide.

The beauty of a hanked jib with downhaul is that if you decide to
change jibs, one pull on the downhaul and the sail in on deck,
easing motion considerably. A little siezing and it will stay
there, still hanked on, while the main is reefed, or a smaller jib
is hanked above it onto the forestay. This is half a dozen or so
hanks sticking out the front of a jib bag, not some monster flailing
and flogging while you try to get it up. Snap on the tack pennant,
change halyard connections and sheets, if you don't keep sheets
attached to each spare sail, even pre leading them with the whole
mess ready to pop out of the forehatch when you pull on the halyard
from the cockpit.

It's a small thing to do, really, nothing like pulling a soaking
sail down the forehatch, then prefeeding it's replacement, hoping it
will prefeed all in one go and where is the halyard located? Manage
that while singlhanding.

When winds ease, taking off a small jib and then hauling up the big
lazy jib already hanked on is easy.

I had a furler, and it's problems, that's why I prefer the idea
mentioned above. It's do-able, cheap, and dependable. Did I mention
sailing performance when the weather gets snotty?

Is it safer to worry about changing or bagging along as it gets
rougher and rougher, and when you need the performance, and have a
huge wild bag to stow loose on deck and all over the place?

Terry K

Armond Perretta

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

I've been using hanked-on sails and a jib downhaul for years, and I think
the system has merit (obviously). However singing this system's praises
without mentioning the "cons" is oversimplification.

First, the downhaul itself is an additional component of the running
rigging, requiring shackles, blocks, cleats, fairleads, etc. (or at least
_some_ of these).

Next, the downhaul has to run either inside the hanks (usually not good), or
alongside the headstay. In this position, and depending on the point of
sail, it slaps against the luff, causing chafe and just one more unwelcome
noise.

Next, it is the rare set up that allows the jib to be handed with only a
single pull on the downhaul. Usually there is some hang-up or friction that
means going forward to make adjustments.

All in all, I think it's a good rig if furlers are not chosen, but it is
useful to add in both sides of the issue.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

My question was really just a sneaky attempt to re-start the furling vs
non-furling headsail religious argument. I have issued a fatwa against
all who disagree with me.

Terry Spragg

Armond Perretta wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

That is all true, but a well managed downhaul and halyard is better
than changing any other jib system I know of. Mine only needs to be
led inside the first hank.

There's a lot less to go wrong.

Terry K

The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM
HELP! Need suggestions on making mast & sails sandy Boat Building 10 February 8th 04 04:24 PM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM
Sails officially ordered. Simple Simon ASA 2 September 10th 03 07:38 AM
Even better prices on working sails. Simple Simon ASA 14 September 4th 03 01:20 PM