Larry

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Flutter on, butterfly. I hope that when Murphy stikes, as he will,
it doesn't cost you an arm or a leg.

Terry K

Ah, got it....It's UP...(c;

--
Larry
rhys

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:54:20 -0300, Terry Spragg

My question was really just a sneaky attempt to re-start the furling vs
non-furling headsail religious argument. I have issued a fatwa against
all who disagree with me.

And obviously haven't the guts to announce your standpoint until the
winner is known?

Well, that's one thing, but I don't think you can call a "winner" on
this issue. Really, unless you're a racer and understand the logic of
hank-ons, it's strictly a rearguard action. Furling has won.

Having said that, I have converted more than one luff tape racing
foresail into a hank-on genoa/jib. That's how I got a Spectra/Mylar
No. 1 for $200: "not good enough for racing" means five years of fast
cruising for me.

This year I am converting a perfectly good Dacron No. 3/working jib
from a C&C 34R to my needs with a $125 tape-luff to hank on
conversion. The thing is almost new and needs no recutting (for my
needs, anyway, as I don't sail to a PHRF rule); it was simply packed
away nicely when the PO went to $12K worth of composite sails.

Racers with high standards and deep pockets are an amazing resource of
Spectra, Vectran and "retired" Dacron for the frugal cruiser.

R.

I am certain that my CDI furling sail is capable of sailing far better
than I am capable of doing. When I feel that the gap between my sails
capabilities and my capabilities gets reasonably small, I might
consider upgrading.

Terry Spragg

rhys wrote:

[...]

Excellant!

Where do you find your sails?

Terry K

The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM
HELP! Need suggestions on making mast & sails sandy Boat Building 10 February 8th 04 04:24 PM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM
Sails officially ordered. Simple Simon ASA 2 September 10th 03 07:38 AM
Even better prices on working sails. Simple Simon ASA 14 September 4th 03 01:20 PM