Bruce in Alaska

In article , Larry
wrote:

Me either! Let's test it on your batteries. Put half the regular caps
back on half the cells and leave these wondrous gifts from God on the rest.
See if there's any difference in water usage.....It's a fair test.

--
Larry

Been there, done that... HydroCaps do work as advertised. The cataylst
is a small platinum foil plate, that causes the Hydrogen and Oxygen to
recombine and fall back into the Battery Cell. Used my 800 Amp/Hr
24Vdc Bank of L16's to run the test. Two strings of 4, in parallel, one
sting with regular caps and one string with HydroCaps. Watered the
Banks on about a 4 to one basis over a year. Banks cycled down to 80%
capacity, on a twice a day (24Hrs) Basis, with my Trace 4024 doing the
charging and being the load. After the end of a year, I bought another
16 Hydrocaps, and that bank lasted 10 years and still had 75% capacity
when they were replaced. Never had as good of service since.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Larry

Doin it right wrote in
:

Hydrocaps reduced my need to top up to about once every 6 months or so,
and much less water needed. It can be difficult to find distilled water
in some (more remote) places, so the added advantage of not having to
carry distilled water is also attractive.

If your battery banks are using water, you need to check your fully-charged
float voltage, not the battery vent caps. Back off .2V on your float
charger's top end setting and they'll stop overcharging. You shouldn't
have to top off the batteries more than once a year if the setting is
correct.

Everyone should be carrying distilled water....for drinking as well as
batteries....You'll live longer.

--
Larry
Jere Lull

In article , Larry
wrote:

"Rusty" wrote in
:

Hydrocaps actually work. I check my batteries on a regular basis, but
hardly ever have to add any water. They should, however, be removed if
you're going to equalize the cells. The excess hydrogen causes them to
get hot.

Me either! Let's test it on your batteries. Put half the regular caps
back on half the cells and leave these wondrous gifts from God on the rest.
See if there's any difference in water usage.....It's a fair test.

We're doing just that, although it's two different batteries. The usual
ones need a top off every once in a while, the one with some sort of
tech up there hasn't yet, and it's the primary bank, worked hard every
weekend.

(From that experience, I'm not going with WalMart-type batteries again.
They're too expensive.)

--
Jere Lull
Len

What do you guys think about MegaPulse?
http://www.megapulse.net/

Curious, Len.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:36:52 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

http://store.solar-electric.com/hydrocaps.html
"A Hydrocap is a catalytic gas recombiner.....

------------------snip-------------

Larry

Len wrote in
:

http://www.megapulse.net/

Vector 1093A is a 2/10/20/40 amp computerized battery charger with
switching power supply. It has a pulse-type better reconditioner built
into it that actually does rejuvenate an old battery back to life. It
takes 24 hours of its cycling to complete, when its computer shuts the
process down automatically. As a charger, it is great UNLESS the battery
is just dead dead, at which time it refuses to start charging it. To
charge those, I put "Old Reliable", my 10A Shumaker SCR charger on it for a
couple of hours to give it a starting kick, then the Vector can complete
the job....after stupid me left the interior lights on in the car...grrr.

You can buy the smaller Vector 2/10/35A without the rejuvenator from Waste
Marine for $130 or $140....or you can get this better model from any
WalMart for $89 on the battery rack in the auto department (and lie to your
mates telling them you got it at Waste Marine..(c.

I'm sure Megapulse is just a lot smaller pulse charger. The Vector is
quite large with very large cables to handle 40A reliably. It has
automatic fan cooling for its electronics.

--
Larry

Rusty

Larry;

I've already done that. The 750 amp-hour 24 volt main system of Trojan
industrial cells is charged by a Trace SW4024 inverter/charger. Went two
years without HydroCaps and added at least some water every month. Changed
to HydroCaps and now I only add a little bit after every six to eight
months. Right now the last time I added water was almost nine months ago and
they're still full. Batteries are showing no signs of losing capacity and
the tops are always clean.

Rusty

"Larry" wrote in message
"Rusty" wrote in
:

Hydrocaps actually work. I check my batteries on a regular basis, but
hardly ever have to add any water. They should, however, be removed if
you're going to equalize the cells. The excess hydrogen causes them to
get hot.

Me either! Let's test it on your batteries. Put half the regular caps
back on half the cells and leave these wondrous gifts from God on the
rest.
See if there's any difference in water usage.....It's a fair test.

--
Larry

Larry

"Rusty" wrote in
news
I've already done that. The 750 amp-hour 24 volt main system of Trojan
industrial cells is charged by a Trace SW4024 inverter/charger. Went
two years without HydroCaps and added at least some water every month.
Changed to HydroCaps and now I only add a little bit after every six
to eight months. Right now the last time I added water was almost nine
months ago and they're still full. Batteries are showing no signs of
losing capacity and the tops are always clean.

Rusty

While I'm sure the caps do exactly what they are supposed to, that's fine.
But, the reason the batteries are using water in the first place, i.e.
being overcharged, isn't resolved when you keep gassing off the water with
the overcharging, to recover it in these magicaps.

At your "full charge" voltage setting you should rarely see a bubble coming
out of the electrolyte. 14.2 seems too high on some cells. When the
specific gravity gets to 1.260-1.270, the charger should be OFF, not
pulsing away momentarily unless there is some load on them.

--
Larry

Fk me crookid. I get T-105's for $60, maybe some pay $75. It is worth
it to spend more than a third more battery capacity or budget on
freaking caps, even if they happen to work perfectly (not according to
their own info), to avoid a few breif insepctions, top-ups & maybe
avoid carefully adjusting charging rate?

What is the life-cycle cost of your batteries?

For the cost of caps for only 2 banks, you can buy another whole new
bank that has 3x the stated service life of the caps.

If one did this sort of thing a few times with a vessel they were
tasked to responsibly manage for another owner, they'd be fired.