BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hydrocap - for lead acid batteries (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/46654-hydrocap-lead-acid-batteries.html)

Mic July 26th 05 08:36 PM

Hydrocap - for lead acid batteries

http://store.solar-electric.com/hydrocaps.html

"A Hydrocap is a catalytic gas recombiner than converts hydrogen and
oxygen gasses into pure water. A catalyst is a substance which
encourages other substances into chemical change without actually
participating in that change, sort of a chemical ambassador. The
process occurring in the Hydrocap is similar to that occurring in an
automotive catalytic converter."

Larry July 27th 05 12:29 AM

(Mic) wrote in :

http://store.solar-electric.com/hydrocaps.html

"A Hydrocap is a catalytic gas recombiner than converts hydrogen and
oxygen gasses into pure water. A catalyst is a substance which
encourages other substances into chemical change without actually
participating in that change, sort of a chemical ambassador. The
process occurring in the Hydrocap is similar to that occurring in an
automotive catalytic converter."

Amazing! I thought a match worked much better....faster, too!

Someone corrected me a while back. They said that PT Barnum never said,
"There's one born every minute."

--
Larry

Maynard G. Krebbs July 27th 05 08:33 AM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:29:28 -0400, Larry wrote:

Someone corrected me a while back. They said that PT Barnum never said,
"There's one born every minute."

I believe it was a friend of PT Barnum's who told him one day, "PT, if
there were a sucker born every minute, you'd find a way to take his
money."
Mark E. Williams

Doin it right July 27th 05 04:53 PM

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:29:28 -0400, Larry wrote:

Someone corrected me a while back. They said that PT Barnum never said,
"There's one born every minute."

I believe it was a friend of PT Barnum's who told him one day, "PT, if
there were a sucker born every minute, you'd find a way to take his
money."
Mark E. Williams

Hate to break the bad news, but the technology used in these hydrocaps
DOES work and is based on sound engineering principles.

They are kind of spendy though.

Rusty July 27th 05 05:34 PM

Hydrocaps actually work. I check my batteries on a regular basis, but hardly
ever have to add any water. They should, however, be removed if you're going
to equalize the cells. The excess hydrogen causes them to get hot.

George, the designer and maker in Florida, has never marketed them very
aggressively. Larry Janke, of Southeast Marine Services, in Scappoose,
Oregon, sells Rolls marine batteries with Hydrocaps already installed. He
advertises Rolls batteries in several sailing magazines.

Rusty O

Larry July 27th 05 09:26 PM

Doin it right wrote in
:

Hate to break the bad news, but the technology used in these hydrocaps
DOES work and is based on sound engineering principles.

Hate to break the bad news to YOU, but hydrogen production in modern lead-
acid batteries has dropped to near zero since we stopped using antimony to
hold up the soft lead plates...many years ago. The alloys used to support
the lead don't gas at all unless you overcharge the hell out of them.

You guys watch too many WW2 submarine movies...(c;

Notice how your car battery doesn't even have a vented cap any more? or
your fancy schmanzy red AGM battery?

--
Larry

Larry July 27th 05 09:28 PM

"Rusty" wrote in
:

Hydrocaps actually work. I check my batteries on a regular basis, but
hardly ever have to add any water. They should, however, be removed if
you're going to equalize the cells. The excess hydrogen causes them to
get hot.

Me either! Let's test it on your batteries. Put half the regular caps
back on half the cells and leave these wondrous gifts from God on the rest.
See if there's any difference in water usage.....It's a fair test.

--
Larry

gs July 27th 05 09:31 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:53:07 -0400, Doin it right wrote:

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:29:28 -0400, Larry wrote:

Someone corrected me a while back. They said that PT Barnum never said,
"There's one born every minute."

I believe it was a friend of PT Barnum's who told him one day, "PT, if
there were a sucker born every minute, you'd find a way to take his
money."
Mark E. Williams

Hate to break the bad news, but the technology used in these hydrocaps
DOES work and is based on sound engineering principles.

They are kind of spendy though.

some people are just too cynical :-)

Hydrocaps were also used in the manned submersible arena for a long
long time and were mentioned in Frank Busby's Manned Submersibles
book (pg 325) which was published in '76 ... so they've been around
for quite some time.

- Ed

dummie July 27th 05 09:53 PM

What do you mean by "equalize the cells" ?
What is the purpose?

TIA,
dummie

Doin it right July 27th 05 11:28 PM

Larry wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in
:

Hydrocaps actually work. I check my batteries on a regular basis, but
hardly ever have to add any water. They should, however, be removed if
you're going to equalize the cells. The excess hydrogen causes them to
get hot.

Me either! Let's test it on your batteries. Put half the regular caps
back on half the cells and leave these wondrous gifts from God on the rest.
See if there's any difference in water usage.....It's a fair test.

Geez larry, what's the problem? Got issues with technology or something?

I've used hydrocaps for 2 years. Prior to that, I checked the batteries
weekly and topped them up about once a month. I was and am very careful,
maintaining proper float and bulk charge voltages at all times.

Hydrocaps reduced my need to top up to about once every 6 months or so,
and much less water needed. It can be difficult to find distilled water
in some (more remote) places, so the added advantage of not having to
carry distilled water is also attractive.

And YES, when equalizing they come off, and I top up the cells
afterwards too. I equlaize about every 5 or 6 months when it dawns on
me. I probably should do it more often.