htown

Default Batteries and alternators

I am writing in regard to a 1991 360 Commodore. I am having an issue
with the house batteries not keeping a charge. This is the 3 set of
batteries that I have put purchased in the last 2 years. I have a
feeling there is something draining the batteries. I used to be able to
go a full 24 hours and run al kinds of 12V accessories on the boat with
out ever having to run the generator to charge back up the batteries.

The main thing I am writing about is that since the generator starts
off the house batteries, when the house batteries do get weak there
isn't enough power to start the generator. In the past this has not
been a problem since all I had to do was start the engines and they
would provide enough charge to the batteries to start the generator and
then I could shut off the motors. It seems now that the engines do not
charge the batteries any longer. I looked at the manual for the boat
and found a wiring diagram but nothing in there showed that the house
batteries were somehow connected to the alternator on the engines. Can
someone there tell me what I should be checking for in this model boat.

What is keeping the engines from keeping a charge on the house
batteries? I have never had a problem with the starting batteries so I
know that the alternator(s) are charging the starting batteries. Could
it be that one alternator charges the house and the other the starting
batteries?

Any help would be gfreatly appreciated.

Cheers

First, consider installing a battery dedicated solely to starting your
genset. That will be your last line of defense should everything else
aboard discharge.

Your starting batteries may well charge from a different alternator
than your house batteries, and if you have more than one alternator
that is a rather likely scenario.

It sounds like something is preventing your batteries from charging
properly- (usually either the condition of the battery itself or a bad
charging circuit), or is allowing the house bank to discharge
when apparently unused. Check battery condition,
alternator output, connections (very important), and wiring. If the
wires are large enough and properly connected, if the battery is in
good physical shape, and if the alternator is producing ample voltage
it's most likely a short downstream from the battery.

Do you have some fancy regulator, splitter, or combiner in the circuit?
If so, check that as well.

HaKrause

On 30 Mar 2005 15:43:07 -0800, "htown" wrote:

I am writing in regard to a 1991 360 Commodore.

I had 3 of these in the early '90s, bought sold them off fore a huge
profit.