Peter Wiley

In article , DSK
wrote:

I want to install a windlass, but cabling it from my batteries with
large wires is a major job.

I am thinking of placing a dedicated battery up with the windlass and
running smaller wires from the main bank where the charger lives

Putting in a secondary battery is also a major job... if you do it right.

Gogarty wrote:
Though it is done, most responders argue against a dedicated battery near
the
windlass. I agree. Buy and run the heavy cable. I used 1/0 red and black
marine grade (tinned) from Cobra. Thirty feet of each at $2.00 a foot in
1999.
You save the weight of a bettery in the bow where you don't want too much
weigfht and while the cable may weigh as much or more, the weignt is
distributed through the boat and is down low.

The cable doesn't present the maintenance & replacement issues that a
battery does, either.

.... The cable is direct connected to
the starting battery with a 100 amp breaker as close to the battery as
possible and accessible in the cabin. The breaker is in fact the switch. I
also ran three-part wire to an up/down switch in the cockpit in addition to
the foot switches on the deck next to the windlass.

That's a good idea. I'm planning on putting in a wireless remote for our
windlass, but that'a 'someday' project.

I'm planning on fitting a hydraulic winch and save myself a lot of
grief with electrics, if I need anything other than a manual windlass.
I have 2 or 3 hydraulic pot haulers about the place already and the
components aren't all that expensive in the scheme of things. Hydraulic
pump run via 12V electric clutch off the main engine.

Not for everyone but I have the tools to do it right. Can have remotes
at the wheel then. Fitting a wireless remote seems like something
guaranteed to go wrong.

PDW
Doin it right

Just to clarify my origianl post:

Cost is not a concern here with respect to running large wires from the
house battery to the windlass location.

However the path for running large wires is horrible. I am not even sure
I can get 4 or 6 AWG wires through the limited space.

That is why I am strongly considering a windlass battery up forward in
the anchor locker.

I would MUCH prefer not having the maintenance issues associated with
yet another battery but I really don't have a lot of options.

Thanks
Jere Lull

In article ,
Doin it right wrote:

Just to clarify my origianl post:

Cost is not a concern here with respect to running large wires from the
house battery to the windlass location.

However the path for running large wires is horrible. I am not even sure
I can get 4 or 6 AWG wires through the limited space.

That is why I am strongly considering a windlass battery up forward in
the anchor locker.

I would MUCH prefer not having the maintenance issues associated with
yet another battery but I really don't have a lot of options.

Thanks

?? Are you sure you mean 4-6 AWG? I run 1/0 or 2/0 for lesser loads (my
starter, only 6' away). Made a real difference when I switched from
essentially a car battery cable.

Too lazy to look it up, but my gut tells me that I'd use 4-6 to a
battery up there, solely to charge it. From the battery to the windlass
I would use BIG wire. You're not going to push 100+ amps through a
little bitty LONG wire without a lot of drop, which will demand more
amperage, which will create more drop....

Yes, it may work, but...

--
Jere Lull

Doin it right

Jere Lull wrote:

In article ,
Doin it right wrote:

[...]

I would never run #4 or 6 to POWER a windlass.

YES I KNOW that 1/0 or bigger is needed to drive a large current device
like a windlass.

My issue is one of accomodating wires of that size through the boat from
the house bank.

I am instead considering installing a dedicated windlass battery up in
the anchor locker. If I go that route I will run 4 or 6 awg to charge
that battery and add a breaker at the house bank/charger.

And to clarify your post, let me make a correction. What you meant to
say was:

You're not going to push 100+ amps through a
little bitty LONG wire without a HUGE voltage drop that will reduce

the power the windlass while simultaneously generating a lot of HEAT and
a resulting fire...

Jere Lull

In article ,
Doin it right wrote:

I would never run #4 or 6 to POWER a windlass.

YES I KNOW that 1/0 or bigger is needed to drive a large current
device like a windlass.

Just checking, as some DON't know. ;-)

--
Jere Lull

Windlass redux Skip Gundlach Cruising 1 July 18th 05 05:20 PM
Windlass on an Alura 35 Clarence Bell General 0 January 7th 05 12:15 AM
Windlass Electrical Connection Ray Cullum Cruising 18 August 4th 04 02:11 AM
Windlass Electrical Connection Ray Cullum General 0 July 27th 04 04:51 PM
SL Windlass Problem Jeff Morris Cruising 8 June 15th 04 04:29 PM