Doin it right

Jere Lull wrote:

In article ,
Doin it right wrote:

Just to clarify my origianl post:

Cost is not a concern here with respect to running large wires from the
house battery to the windlass location.

However the path for running large wires is horrible. I am not even sure
I can get 4 or 6 AWG wires through the limited space.

That is why I am strongly considering a windlass battery up forward in
the anchor locker.

I would MUCH prefer not having the maintenance issues associated with
yet another battery but I really don't have a lot of options.

Thanks

?? Are you sure you mean 4-6 AWG? I run 1/0 or 2/0 for lesser loads (my
starter, only 6' away). Made a real difference when I switched from
essentially a car battery cable.

Too lazy to look it up, but my gut tells me that I'd use 4-6 to a
battery up there, solely to charge it. From the battery to the windlass
I would use BIG wire. You're not going to push 100+ amps through a
little bitty LONG wire without a lot of drop, which will demand more
amperage, which will create more drop....

Yes, it may work, but...

I would never run #4 or 6 to POWER a windlass.

YES I KNOW that 1/0 or bigger is needed to drive a large current device
like a windlass.

My issue is one of accomodating wires of that size through the boat from
the house bank.

I am instead considering installing a dedicated windlass battery up in
the anchor locker. If I go that route I will run 4 or 6 awg to charge
that battery and add a breaker at the house bank/charger.

And to clarify your post, let me make a correction. What you meant to
say was:

You're not going to push 100+ amps through a
little bitty LONG wire without a HUGE voltage drop that will reduce

the power the windlass while simultaneously generating a lot of HEAT and
a resulting fire...