Skip Gundlach

Default Windlass redux

My apologies, as I know it's been discussed in this space before,
but...

Today, the feared happened: we broke the gearcase trying to remove same
gearcase from the shaft on the ancient Lewmar 1000 vertical
gypsy/capstan windlass from Flying Pig, despite having soaked it with
penetrants for more than a month.

So, two questions for those who have been here.

First, for those who had to cut them out, what did you have to do to
get it out when you took the sawzall to it? Did it involve cutting out
the deck, or just the parts of the windlass? In either event, I'd be
grateful for a detailed explanation sent off-list. If you had them,
pictures would be even greater.

Second, for those who have recently replaced theirs with vertical
windlasses. We want to go with something which will be capable of the
next class of anchor, 66#, in case we decide to do that (currently have
45# anchors up front). I think I recall some discussion of Lofrans
windlasses at attractive prices, but I'm not particular, unless there's
some very strong recommendations from some who have used one or the
other as either very affordable (we've broken the bank and have taken
an equity line) or particularly robust for the price.

Thanks, y'all

L8R

Skip, refitting as fast as I can

PS As of now, I have some spare parts for a Lewmar 1000 windlass. One
each top and bottom friction ring, capstan, drive motor (gearbox has a
hole in it as described), all topside parts, two sizes of gypsy and
probably the double relay (up and down switching relay), as I assume a
replacement would come with one of those. As none of these are
available any more, and all the other parts which have been taken off
this boat have gone to members of this list, I'll make these available
- perhaps at pickup prices (come gettum). I'll be off the boat for
many months for surgery and rehab in two weeks...

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 - The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Gordon Wedman

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Lofrans and Quick windlasses are frequently sold on eBay at attractive
prices. I bought a Lofrans Progress 1, slightly used, for $550. As a
minimum you would want a unit with a 1000 watt motor and I don't think one
of these is going to care if you have a 44 or 66 pound anchor. If you add
an extra 200 feet of chain with the 66 pound anchor that might make some
difference. You could go to a unit with a 1200 watt motor to get a bit more
pull, eg. Lofrans Progess 2. They make units with 1500 motors but now you
are starting to get into 3/8 chain and you may not want that.