homer

Default four stroke kicker question...

In preperation for Hurricane Dennis I took my Nissan 8hp kicker off of my
dink. In my haste I layed it down on its side in my storage shed. Well, now
it is a puddle of engine oil. Can anyone give me advise on what to do to it
now? Anyone think any dammage was done? I am new to four stroke outboard
engines.

thanks,
Trace in Hudson Fl.

Don W

Homer,

If your Nissan is like my Yamaha, it can only be laid in one particular orientation
without problems--check your owners manual.

I'm not familiar with the Nissan, but with the Yamaha 9.9 4-stroker, the problem
is that in the wrong orientation, engine oil can collect in the cylinders through
open valves. When you then try to start then engine it then hydrolocks possibly
bending a pushrod. This is not a good scenario ;-)

To avoid the above, you have to drain the engine oil, and then remove the spark plugs
and drain the engine oil out of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. You
can then refill the engine with oil, and start it normally. Expect for it to smoke
at first as the engine oil remaining in the cylinders burns off.

Good luck with it,

Don W.

homer wrote:

In preperation for Hurricane Dennis I took my Nissan 8hp kicker off of my
dink. In my haste I layed it down on its side in my storage shed. Well, now
it is a puddle of engine oil. Can anyone give me advise on what to do to it
now? Anyone think any dammage was done? I am new to four stroke outboard
engines.

thanks,
Trace in Hudson Fl.

Larry

"homer" wrote in
:

Anyone think any dammage was done?

As long as noone started it without lube oil in it, it's fine. You might
find lube oil has leaked into the cylinders so pull it over a few times
with the lanyard removed so it doesn't start, in case it's hydrolocked with
more oil. It'll probably smoke like crazy once you do crank it until the
oil burns off in the cylinders.

Do an oil change and make sure the oil level is right, then pull it over to
make sure we're compressing fuel/air, not liquid oil.

There's a warning label on it warning you not to set it down like you've
been doing to your trusty ol 2-stroker for the last 40 years. Laying it on
its back with the cylinder down under the crankcase fills the cylinder with
oil from the crankcase....not good....hard on connecting rods if it cranks.

Of course, "they" don't tell you what a pain in the ass lube oil management
is in a small 4-stroke outboard when you buy it.....

--
Larry
Don W

Larry wrote:

Of course, "they" don't tell you what a pain in the ass lube oil management
is in a small 4-stroke outboard when you buy it.....

But they sure run quietly ;-) And its more of a pain to constantly mix oil into
the gas than it is to change the oil and filter on the 4-stroker once a year.

Of course the 4-stroke sure is heavy for the horsepower... Nothing in life comes
free.

Don W. == who thinks of going back to a 2-stroke every time he lifts the ~100lb
Yamaha 9.9hp 4-stroke off the back of the sailboat.

Larry

Don W wrote in
m:

Of course the 4-stroke sure is heavy for the horsepower... Nothing in
life comes free.

Seagull. Still the best little outboards ever made. Anyone can fix one,
even at the dock in Diego Garcia.

--
Larry

Don White

Larry wrote:
Don W wrote in
m:

Of course the 4-stroke sure is heavy for the horsepower... Nothing in
life comes free.

Seagull. Still the best little outboards ever made. Anyone can fix one,
even at the dock in Diego Garcia.

My 50 year old Seagull just sits in the basement these days.
Too stinky & noisy for me. (gas to oil = 10:1)
Jim Richardson

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:16:21 GMT,
Don White wrote:
Larry wrote:
Don W wrote in
m:

Of course the 4-stroke sure is heavy for the horsepower... Nothing in
life comes free.

Seagull. Still the best little outboards ever made. Anyone can fix one,
even at the dock in Diego Garcia.

My 50 year old Seagull just sits in the basement these days.
Too stinky & noisy for me. (gas to oil = 10:1)

flog it on ebay, or craigslist.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
Paddling straight? John/Charleston Touring 12 August 25th 04 12:28 PM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
newbie question: trolling without a kicker Troy Makaro General 9 May 8th 04 05:30 AM
evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM