Roger Long

Default Quick Links?

My boat came with a "Quick Link" for an anchor shackle. It was
galvanized, had rusted, and the rust had eaten its way half way
through the oversize (no thimble!) nylon rode so I wrote it off as
more of the previous owner’s foolishness.

Now, I’ve seen stainless steel Quick Links in the ground tackle
section of all three marine supply stores in our area. They make
engineering sense to me but I’m enough of an engineer not to trust
that without some real word ground truthing.

Is anyone using these for anchor shackles or have an informed opinion
on them? The pin of the conventional shackle hangs up in our bow
roller and the Quick Link looks like it would make everything work a
lot smoother. I’d probably go with galvanized but replace it long
before rust began to work it’s way into the rode splice.

--

Roger Long

Just try it Rog. It cant be very expensive. Let us know.

Roger Long

I know it will hold the chain to the anchor or the rode to the chain.
That's not the question.

There is no obvious way to safety wire the nut. Do they have a
tendency to back off?
Are these commonly used in ground tackle?
Etc.

They aren't expensive but having your boat go adrift certainly can be.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just try it Rog. It cant be very expensive. Let us know.

Use the red threadlock that will not allow threads to back off.