Default Gonna be a new island

It looks as if Dennis will hit the St Joseph peninsula where Cape San
Blas is located. This is where that shark attack was last week and is
a very narrow spit of land that trends North/South being joined at the
southern end at Cape San Blas. It encloses St Joe bay which has some
amazing marine life. Fortunately, a start park occupies the northern
end of the peninsula but new houses occupy most of the rest of it. The
peninsula is the fastest eroding beach in Florida and the original site
of the lighthouse is a long way out from the point in the water now.
Just beyond the point is a narrow place called the "Stump Hole" with
water on either side with only about a 200' wide piece of land
separating the bay from the Gulf. This area has been armored with a 6'
high wall of rock for about .5 mile but was breached a couple years ago
anyway. This time, with such a direct hit, the breach will be far
worse. This will isolate the gawdawful tacky beach houses that have
been built in the past few yrs. Unfortunately, i have heard that the
state already has plans to build a bridge there.
Amazingly, I have seen in a real estate mag, pictures of storm swept
areas adjacent to this rapidly eroding spot being sold for $300,000 for
a half acre. Some fool will buy and have the property literally
disappear in days. Guess who pays for such mind numbing foolishness,
we do.

20% on Panama City, 20% on Apalachicola so highest prob is right on
Cape San Blas. Now, it it hits with 130+ mph winds as it has now, my
old dock at Carabelle 20 miles east of Apalach would be a disaster
being so exposed. My current dock at Shell Pt is about 80 miles east
of Apalach so may be a little better except Apalachee Bay is very
shallow and historically concentrates water into a large surge.
I always thought St Joe Peninsula needed a good cleaning of condo
madness but it may clean my boat too. If it also gives St George Is a
good condo beach cleaning it'll be worth it. There is nothing worse
than tacky side by side condos or dumb-ass yankees building monstrous
houses on MY beach. Maybe this'll run em off fer good and leave it to
us natives. See, there's a silver linin in every hurricane.

Howard Peer

20% on Panama City, 20% on Apalachicola so highest prob is right on
Cape San Blas. Now, it it hits with 130+ mph winds as it has now, my
old dock at Carabelle 20 miles east of Apalach would be a disaster
being so exposed. My current dock at Shell Pt is about 80 miles east
of Apalach so may be a little better except Apalachee Bay is very
shallow and historically concentrates water into a large surge.
I always thought St Joe Peninsula needed a good cleaning of condo
madness but it may clean my boat too. If it also gives St George Is a
good condo beach cleaning it'll be worth it. There is nothing worse
than tacky side by side condos or dumb-ass yankees building monstrous
houses on MY beach. Maybe this'll run em off fer good and leave it to
us natives. See, there's a silver linin in every hurricane.

Well I'm a Yankee, or half, the other half Canadian. The Condo cleaning
will provide brief respite. In '62 we had a "NorEaster" hit the Jersey
shore. Gave the barrier island a new inlet. Cleaned out hundreds of
houses. Just made more land for the developers to resell and rebuild
on. They are now tearing down the "old" houses built after '62 to put
up newer and uglier models with more rental rooms. Remember, the real
estate agent makes money on every transaction whether or not the seller
does.

My Dad was a bayman. There were about 15 to 20 full time baymen on our
creek, maybe more for there were 3 full time clam houses. Now there are
NONE.

The deepest cynical side of me likens a good hurricane to taking a hot
bath to get rid of a case of the crabs. Temporary relief, but unless
you get the eggs the'r gonna come back.

Feeling particularlly crumudgenly this morning I guess.

DSK

.... St Joe Peninsula needed a good cleaning of condo
madness but it may clean my boat too. If it also gives St George Is a
good condo beach cleaning it'll be worth it. There is nothing worse
than tacky side by side condos or dumb-ass yankees building monstrous
houses on MY beach. Maybe this'll run em off fer good and leave it to
us natives. See, there's a silver linin in every hurricane.

It's not *your* beach unless you buy it and pay taxes on it.

Fact of life in this increasingly crowded world, woods & shorelines will
be developed sooner rather than later. Until this spring, our dock was
surrounded by very nice woods. Now the woods are bulldozed and condos
are going up.

Brief political digression: it will be interesting to see if the new
'imminent domain' laws will enable developers to sieze trust lands held
by groups like the Nature Conservancy, or state university forestry
preserves.

Howard Peer wrote:
Well I'm a Yankee, or half, the other half Canadian. The Condo cleaning
will provide brief respite. In '62 we had a "NorEaster" hit the Jersey
shore. Gave the barrier island a new inlet. Cleaned out hundreds of
houses. Just made more land for the developers to resell and rebuild
on. They are now tearing down the "old" houses built after '62 to put
up newer and uglier models with more rental rooms.

And what's worse, new building techniques & materials are a lot stronger
and more durable, so they will be a lot harder for the next hurricane to
remove.

... Remember, the real
estate agent makes money on every transaction whether or not the seller
does.

Maybe after we get rid of all the lawyers, they should be next?

My Dad was a bayman. There were about 15 to 20 full time baymen on our
creek, maybe more for there were 3 full time clam houses. Now there are
NONE.

Well, that seems to be the fate of all natural resources. In the 1700s,
Boston Harbor had a seemingly inexhaustible supply of seafood including
large oysters... in fact, oyster were so large & plentiful that they
were scorned as poor folk's food. In the 1800s, Long Island Sound had a
thriving fishing/crabbing/waterman industry. Now the Chesapeake Bay is
gasping it's last and we've stripped the Grand Banks.

How much of this trend is population pressure, and how much is just
greed & stupidity?

The deepest cynical side of me likens a good hurricane to taking a hot
bath to get rid of a case of the crabs. Temporary relief, but unless
you get the eggs the'r gonna come back.

Feeling particularlly crumudgenly this morning I guess.

Maybe it's just an overdose of cold facts. I get that way too.

Regards
Doug King

Peter Hendra

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:05:31 -0400, DSK wrote:

It's not *your* beach unless you buy it and pay taxes on it.

In New Zealand beaches are unable to be owned as the "Queen's chain" (read
public ownership) extends from HW springs for one chain inland. What is the
situation in the US and Canada?
Larry

Peter Hendra wrote in
:

In New Zealand beaches are unable to be owned as the "Queen's chain"
(read public ownership) extends from HW springs for one chain inland.
What is the situation in the US and Canada?

In South Carolina, it's very similar. The "public" owns the beach 100'
back from the mean high water mark. The waterfront fiefdoms keep the
public away from their beaches by putting up 500 NO PARKING signs 8' apart
all along the PUBLIC roadways in front of the beach.

The exclusive waterfront gated community of Kiawah Island, owned by the
Arabs, tried to run me off MY beach when we landed the jetboat on it on a
Sunday afternoon. Some ******* ranted and raved that he was gonna call the
rent-a-cops. He did. I tried to get arrested, but was too eager. The cop
must have known I was on MY beach and refused to arrest me....dammit.
Kiawah's got billions. I just wanted a piece of their stuck up
ass...dammit.

Now we have a NEW state law that says the fiefdom CAN regulate the public's
waterway ONE MILE TO SEAWARD all around their little fiefdom. There's so
many new city ordinances noone can read them.

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer

Hillary In 2008 gonefishiing ASA 57 November 9th 04 12:58 AM
Boating story Gould 0738 General 13 November 7th 04 05:21 PM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM