Mic

Default The American Practical Navigator

LINK:

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...s.html?rid=187

The American Practical Navigator - Pub. 9

Download Entire Publication
The American Practical Navigator (37.62 Mb)

View/Download File
Title Page (19 kb)
Front Matter (323 kb)
Table of Contents (127 kb)
Chapter 1 - Introduction to Marine Navigation (448 kb)
Chapter 2 - Geodesy and Datums in Navigation (373 kb)
Chapter 3 - Nautical Charts (4.58 Mb)
Chapter 4 - Nautical Publications (597 kb)
Chapter 5 - Short Range Aids to Navigation (710 kb)
Chapter 6 - Compasses (930 kb)
Chapter 7 - Dead Reckoning (226 kb)
Chapter 8 - Piloting (780 kb)
Chapter 9 - Tides and Tidal Current (1.46 Mb)
Chapter 10 - Radio Waves (406 kb)
Chapter 11 - Satellite Navigation (327 kb)
Chapter 12 - LORAN Navigation (547 kb)
Chapter 13 - Radar Navigation (472 kb)
Chapter 14 - Electronic Charts (286 kb)
Chapter 15 - Navigational Astronomy (4.1 Mb)
Chapter 16 - Instruments for Celestial Navigation (515 kb)
Chapter 17 - Azimuths and Amplitudes (179 kb)
Chapter 18 - Time (1.24 Mb)
Chapter 19 - The Almanacs (161 kb)
Chapter 20 - Sight Reduction (2.92 Mb)
Chapter 21 - Navigational Mathematics (438 kb)
Chapter 22 - Calculations and Conversions (272 kb)
Chapter 23 - Navigational Errors (169 kb)
Chapter 24 - The Sailings (1.7 Mb)
Chapter 25 - Navigation Processes (169 kb)
Chapter 26 - Emergency Navigation (362 kb)
Chapter 27 - Navigation Regulations (251 kb)
Chapter 28 - Maritime Safety Systems (678 kb)
Chapter 29 - Hydrography (674 kb)
Chapter 30 - The Oceans (665 kb)
Chapter 31 - Ocean Currents (1.57 Mb)
Chapter 32 - Waves, Breakers and Surf (881 kb)
Chapter 33 - Ice Navigation (2.93 Mb)
Chapter 34 - Weather Elements (2.06 Mb)
Chapter 35 - Tropical Cyclones (1.79 Mb)
Chapter 36 - Weather Observations (2.52 Mb)
Chapter 37 - Weather Routing (1.12 Mb)
Explanation of Navigational Tables (113 kb)
Table 1 - Logarithms of Numbers (161 kb)
Table 2 - Natural Trigonometric Functions (374 kb)
Table 3 - Common Logarithms of Trigonometric Functions (333 kb)
Table 4 - Traverse Tables (764 kb)
Table 5 - Natural and Numerical Chart Scales (15 kb)
Table 6 - Meridional Parts (54 kb)
Table 7 - Length of a Degree of Latitude and Longitude (20 kb)
Table 8 - Conversion Table for Meters, Feet and Fathoms (19 kb)
Table 9 - Conversion Table for Nautical and Statute Miles (16 kb)
Table 10 - Speed Table for Measured Mile (19 kb)
Table 11 - Speed, Time and Distance (33 kb)
Table 12 - Distance of the Horizon (16 kb)
Table 13 - Geographic Range (26 kb)
Table 14 - Dip of the Sea Short of the Horizon (21 kb)
Table 15 - Distance by Vertical Angle (Between Horizon and Top of
Object) (24 kb)
Table 16 - Distance by Vertical Angle (Between Waterline and Top of
Object) (26 kb)
Table 17 - Distance by Vertical Angle (Between Waterline and Horizon)
(19 kb)
Table 18 - Distance of and Object by Two Bearings (36 kb)
Table 19 - Table of Offsets (18 kb)
Table 20 - Meridian Angle and Altitude of a body on the Prime Vertical
(31 kb)
Table 21 - Latitude and Longitude Factors (41 kb)
Table 22 - Amplitudes (29 kb)
Table 23 - Correction of Amplitude as Observed on the Visible Horizon
(18 kb)
Table 24 - Altitude Factors (51 kb)
Table 25 - Changes of Altitude in Given Time From Meridian Transit (30
kb)
Table 26 - Time Zones, Zone Descriptions, and Suffixes (19 kb)
Tables 27 & 28 - Altitude Correction for Air Temperature and Pressure
(23 kb)
Table 29 - Conversion Table for Thermometer Scales (20 kb)
Table 30 - Direction and Speed of True Wind in Units of Ship's Speed
(21 kb)
Tables 31, 32 & 33 - Corrections to Barometric Reading (19 kb)
Table 34 - Conversion Table for Barometric Reading Units (16 kb)
Table 35 - Relative Humidity (21 kb)
Table 36 - Dew Point (21 kb)
Glossary (4.03 Mb)
Acronyms (366 kb)
Index (791 kb)

Mic wrote:
LINK:

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...s.html?rid=187

The American Practical Navigator - Pub. 9

Download Entire Publication
The American Practical Navigator (37.62 Mb)

Wow, Bowditch in 3 minutes! Are the H.O. pubs similarly available for
free too?

Glenn Ashmore

Your wish is granted:
For HO229: http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_srtm_list.html
For HO249: http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_srta_list.html
For a full set of Pilot Charts:
http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...html?rid=10499

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mic wrote:
LINK:

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...s.html?rid=187

The American Practical Navigator - Pub. 9

Download Entire Publication
The American Practical Navigator (37.62 Mb)

Wow, Bowditch in 3 minutes! Are the H.O. pubs similarly available for
free too?

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Your wish is granted:
For HO229: http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_srtm_list.html
For HO249: http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_srta_list.html
For a full set of Pilot Charts:
http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...html?rid=10499

They still don't have the North Pacific pilot charts in PDF
format yet, as well as a few other oceans (Indian I think?)

Still I'm hardly complaining about all this good free stuff
that NOAA has made available.

Evan Gatehouse

rhys

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:13:55 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Your wish is granted:
For HO229: http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_srtm_list.html
For HO249: http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_srta_list.html
For a full set of Pilot Charts:
http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...html?rid=10499

Heh. UPS just called. My Astra IIIB arrives in less than 12 hours and
these will come in very handy.

My thanks.

R.

They still don't have the North Pacific pilot charts in PDF
format yet, as well as a few other oceans (Indian I think?)

Screw .pdf, I hope they make plain graphics files avail also (YMMV).

Yes we are blessed to have this stuff furnished this way. Do you have
any idea what I paid for hardcopies of Bowditch & the HO pubs in 1965
as textbooks - even with a MARAD subsidy involved?

I wonder when we get to d/l the free new $3,000 sextant. :-)

Dave wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 23:11:15 -0700, said:

Screw .pdf, I hope they make plain graphics files avail also (YMMV).

Why do you have a problem with PDF?

I admit I detest .pdf format on any platform.

The viewer is free,

So is DejaVue that puts it to shame. So are many excellent graphics
apps. So are things from Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. :-)

(nothing is free, we all pay one way or another, or help market their
outfit by using their stuff which saves them millions of dollars)

and the files can be
much smaller than graphics files.

Pardon me?? Not in equivalent lossiness/quality.

Not to mention one may freely do many other fast & convenient things
with graphics files.

And they're searchable if you have the
full Acrobat version.

Who needs it with intelligently catalogued graphics files & any
associated textfiles (the latter of which may easily be link-embedded,
too)?

I feel that .pdf:

- is overrated as a cross-platform format;

- is a resource & bandwith-hogging pig;

- is slower-loading;

- is very limited in end-user versatility;

- is more suceptible to file corruption than most other formats;

- regularly bugs you for updates;

- frequently has minor but annoying read flaws & problems;

- is a one-way street who's purpose is to create dependence upon &
market the expensive authoring s/w;

- is inferior in all these ways to DejaVue which has the same purpose
but runs & renders much better at about 1/10 the filesize;

- is inferior to ordinary formats which may also be used for or
interfaced with anything.

YMMV

Dave wrote:

Utter nonsense. While PDF can be graphics, the most common form you see on
the web is text-based.

My understanding is we were speaking of charts, using charts, and also
of only offline uses pertinent or conceivable. I shudder to think of a
text-based set of charts, but I suppose there are even more interesting
things going around... :-)

Crank
up a full version

Do ya think? My understanding, and as per your own earlier words, is
that the freely distrbuted reader and its use are the subject (more
accurately, sub-subject) - not additionally purchased Adobe s/w. I am
coming from the level playing field of other freely available,
universal and useful apps, while you are not.

I dislike the concept of having to buy (and upkeep) additional s/w (and
which is still a resource hog, too), to have reasonably flexible use of
pubically funded information - as well as a large heap of
private-sector ordinary information. It results in a captive consumer
situation. Also, a very great deal of material increasingly
distributed in .pdf format is otherwise ideal for use on small
handhelds, where the resource burden makes an even bigger dent or some
cases prohibits it.

Again, none of this means that I am not exceedingly thankful to have
the free pubs even available at all, in any format. But having the
government in what is essentially a partnership with any sole and
proprietary product related to the disbursement of free information and
which must be purchased sole-source by the public to take full
advantage of it strikes me as inappropriate at best.

But I suppose ignorance is bliss. Go ahead ranting and cursing the darkness
if you wish, rather than lighting a candle.

Occasionally, remedial reading classes are also made available for free
locally in port. You seem to have drifted a bit out to sea... ;-)