Dave wrote:

Utter nonsense. While PDF can be graphics, the most common form you see on
the web is text-based.

My understanding is we were speaking of charts, using charts, and also
of only offline uses pertinent or conceivable. I shudder to think of a
text-based set of charts, but I suppose there are even more interesting
things going around... :-)

Crank
up a full version

Do ya think? My understanding, and as per your own earlier words, is
that the freely distrbuted reader and its use are the subject (more
accurately, sub-subject) - not additionally purchased Adobe s/w. I am
coming from the level playing field of other freely available,
universal and useful apps, while you are not.

I dislike the concept of having to buy (and upkeep) additional s/w (and
which is still a resource hog, too), to have reasonably flexible use of
pubically funded information - as well as a large heap of
private-sector ordinary information. It results in a captive consumer
situation. Also, a very great deal of material increasingly
distributed in .pdf format is otherwise ideal for use on small
handhelds, where the resource burden makes an even bigger dent or some
cases prohibits it.

Again, none of this means that I am not exceedingly thankful to have
the free pubs even available at all, in any format. But having the
government in what is essentially a partnership with any sole and
proprietary product related to the disbursement of free information and
which must be purchased sole-source by the public to take full
advantage of it strikes me as inappropriate at best.

But I suppose ignorance is bliss. Go ahead ranting and cursing the darkness
if you wish, rather than lighting a candle.

Occasionally, remedial reading classes are also made available for free
locally in port. You seem to have drifted a bit out to sea... ;-)