Default are RDF's still usable in todays world. radio direction finding???

just wondering if they are still usable in the waters around the us
and in other countries??

thanx for any/all input
Capt John

Their still common equipment on high end sportfishing boats and
commercial fishing boats, to home in on the location of other boats.
Other than that their only useful for rescue work.

HarryV

I use an ARN-6. Works well, but you may have to account for the
shoreline effect. http://www.radio-locator.com/ and others will give
you the lat and long.

Regards,

Harry

Capt John wrote:
Their still common equipment on high end sportfishing boats and
commercial fishing boats, to home in on the location of other boats.
Other than that their only useful for rescue work.

Armond Perretta

Capt John wrote:
Their still common equipment on high end sportfishing boats and
commercial fishing boats, to home in on the location of other boats.
Other than that their only useful for rescue work.

Are you referring to _VHF_ homing devices? My impression was that the
original poster was interested in RDF's, which operate on quite different
frequencies. They are still common in many parts of the world.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

HarryV

Not VHF. I referred to the LF beacons and AM Broadcast Band. You can
find the location of the AM radio station's antenna in one of various
databases and home in on that. The VHF ADFs are very expensive.

Regards,

Harry

Armond Perretta wrote:
Capt John wrote:
Their still common equipment on high end sportfishing boats and
commercial fishing boats, to home in on the location of other boats.
Other than that their only useful for rescue work.

Are you referring to _VHF_ homing devices? My impression was that the
original poster was interested in RDF's, which operate on quite different
frequencies. They are still common in many parts of the world.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

HarryV

I believe that the nav beacons are still in service and are used to
transmit GPS WAAS corrections. I may be wrong.

Regards,

Harry

DSK

Are you referring to _VHF_ homing devices? My impression was that the
original poster was interested in RDF's, which operate on quite different
frequencies. They are still common in many parts of the world.

Some RDF's can be tuned over a very wide range.

Gogarty wrote:
Perhaps, but not here. I bought one on eBay, brand new in the box but very
old. It worked just fine but I had no use for it and it took up a lot of
space. So I sold it on eBay to a man with sentimental attachment to
outmoded gadgets for slightly more thasn I paid for it. In any case, my
understanding is that very few radio beacons are still in service.

I used to have one that had plug-in modules for different frequency
bands. It would take bearings on commercial AM stations as well as nav
beacons and airports. But you're right, it was bulky and ate power and
we didn't use it very much.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Larry W4CSC

wrote in :

just wondering if they are still usable in the waters around the us
and in other countries??

thanx for any/all input

Sure....but they've moved frequency band from MF-HF to VHF

http://www.servo.com/mardf.htm

http://www.vitmarine.com/sit-525adf.html
(If yer fishin' keep yer mouth shut!)

http://www.nationalrf.com/vector-finder.htm
(handheld...help ya find yer walkie talkie or that smartass on ch 16 down
the dock.)

http://www.dopsys.com/
Gummit buys this one. If the damned Coast Guard had one when those kids
died on S/V "Morning Dew", there would have been no question WHERE the kid
was screaming for help and the stupid CG watchstander MIGHT not have
thought it was a hoax...saving lives.

http://radio_tower_finder.hobbytron.com/r-ddf1.html
Here, build your own! $169, complete. Use an array of Metz half-wave
marine antennas instead of the 1/4 wave verticals stuck to the car because
your boat doesn't have a ground plane....Hams use them for "fox hunts"
where someone hides with a walkie and the hams run ragged across the county
trying to find him. When I'm the fox, I park under the big powerlines
which throws them off great!...(c;

http://www.rdfproducts.com/ap_index.htm
Here's more DF information than you'll want, all in one place...

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Leave it to the Americans... Don White General 79 December 15th 04 07:36 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM
Off the Topic. I'm waiting to see... JohnH General 102 December 18th 03 11:19 PM
Bush Resume Bobsprit ASA 21 September 14th 03 11:22 PM
(OT) And for the open minded clear thinkers Capt. Frank Hopkins General 1 September 4th 03 06:42 PM