sherwindu

Default cleaning an anodized aluminum mast?

Anodizing is an electro-plating process, which is quite durable. My mast is also
gold anodized and 36 years old. It was looking dull this year, so I used some aluminium polish on
it, available at automotive shops. It did not restore the mast to
mint condition, but did appear to remove some of the oxidation, and restore some of
the color. I would follow this up with a good boat wax, which will mostly burn off in
the hot sun, but give some protection anyways.

Sherwin D.

bligh wrote:

It's a gold colored matt finish. I think it's called anodizing but has
a faded stripe pattern of wear I'd like to restore if it's possible.
It's horizontal and all the way up the mast. Thanks for any info you
may have.

Brian Whatcott

Hmmm.... not so much plating (with some metal) but rather, oxidizing
the surface with a porous film, which may be dyed, and then the pores
closed by soaking in hot water.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

bligh wrote:

It's a gold colored matt finish. I think it's called anodizing but has
a faded stripe pattern of wear I'd like to restore if it's possible.
It's horizontal and all the way up the mast. Thanks for any info you
may have.

sherwindu

Hi Brian,
The definition of anodizing is usually given as follows:
To coat (a metallic surface) electrolytically with a protective or decorative oxide.

How do you oxidize a surface? The process you describe does not seem very
durable, nor does it sound like it uses electrolysis.

Sherwin D.

bligh wrote:

It's a gold colored matt finish. I think it's called anodizing but has
a faded stripe pattern of wear I'd like to restore if it's possible.
It's horizontal and all the way up the mast. Thanks for any info you
may have.

Brian Whatcott

Though I can't help all of your comprehension issues - I can tell you
that the usual anodizing process places the object to be anodized in a
conductive electrolyte and makes the object the anode of a circuit -
using a few volts - 3-7 volts typically plus to the object, with the
return being handled by a lead or stainless cathode.
The current density is monitored while it drops as the oxide film
builds. The electrolyte is kept cool in order to prevent the pores
closing.

The process is quite suitable for home use.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

bligh wrote:

It's a gold colored matt finish. I think it's called anodizing but has
a faded stripe pattern of wear I'd like to restore if it's possible.
It's horizontal and all the way up the mast. Thanks for any info you
may have.

sherwindu

I don't normally like to argue semantics, but isn't oxidation a process where things
combine with oxygen(usually in the air), whereas electroplating is as you describe
transferring charged particles from the cathode metallic rod to the the aluminum mast.
Exactly what is the chemical makeup of this porous film.

That's what happens to uncoated aluminum, which will oxidize in the air and form an
ugly black or gray coating on the exposed metal surface.

Whatever the coating is, it is pretty hard stuff, and has protected my mast for over 30 years, although it
has dulled a bit and there are a few scratches, here and there.

Sherwin D.