sherwindu

Hi Brian,
The definition of anodizing is usually given as follows:
To coat (a metallic surface) electrolytically with a protective or decorative oxide.

How do you oxidize a surface? The process you describe does not seem very
durable, nor does it sound like it uses electrolysis.

Sherwin D.

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Hmmm.... not so much plating (with some metal) but rather, oxidizing
the surface with a porous film, which may be dyed, and then the pores
closed by soaking in hot water.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:18:02 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

Anodizing is an electro-plating process, which is quite durable. My mast is also
gold anodized and 36 years old. It was looking dull this year, so I used some aluminium polish on
it, available at automotive shops. It did not restore the mast to
mint condition, but did appear to remove some of the oxidation, and restore some of
the color. I would follow this up with a good boat wax, which will mostly burn off in
the hot sun, but give some protection anyways.

Sherwin D.

bligh wrote:

It's a gold colored matt finish. I think it's called anodizing but has
a faded stripe pattern of wear I'd like to restore if it's possible.
It's horizontal and all the way up the mast. Thanks for any info you
may have.