zeebop

Default Opinions on Sea Ray 215

Hi,

I am about to purchase a
Sea Ray 215 EC 1997 (I am in the UK)

Here is an example:
http://tinyurl.com/b2m2f

I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with one of these
and what you thought of it.

Thanks

zeebop
Larry W4CSC

zeebop wrote in
:

Hi,

I am about to purchase a
Sea Ray 215 EC 1997 (I am in the UK)

Here is an example:
http://tinyurl.com/b2m2f

I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with one of these
and what you thought of it.

Thanks

zeebop

Piece of crap. See for yourself what's inside a Sea Ray boat:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm
It's made of "putty"??....

I had the jetboat. Light came through the hull. Seats mildewed because
they were made of COTTON-BACKED plastic with cheap furniture foam by some
furniture company in Tennesee. The side panel mildewed because the cotton-
backed plastic was over a cotton pad all stapled to a piece of packing
crate wood. It rotted out twice in 3 years.

There was no way to get to the fuel tank INLET or INLET VENT because they
were stuffed into the hull before the top was put on with no access hatch.
You couldn't even check to see if the fuel tank inlet hoses had a clamp on
them because you couldn't see it unless you tore the boat apart. The
polyethelene (milk bottle plastic) tank was kept in place with two 1" long
plastic angle brackets screwed into the stringer with one sheet metal
screw. The two little brackets supported a 25 gallon gas tank! NOT! They
were eating into the polyethelene, which is very soft, so I had to build
some proper brackets to stop it. The Mercury Sport Jet, considered by CG
as an inboard engine, has a 5/16" hose barb for the fuel hose. Sea Ray
attached a 3/8" fuel hose because that's what the gas tank fitting had on
it. They used two hose clamps to try to squeeze the hose over the smaller
barb to keep it from leaking. Didn't work. The fuel hose from the tank to
the engine, a 3/8" marine gas line, was supported and held to the engine
compartment bulkhead with the same 3" diameter clamps used for the big
inlet hose. This meant when the 3/8" hose fell off the 5/16" barb into the
bilge, it pulled the hose through these huge clamps far enough the suction
of the siphon effect overcame the anti-siphon valve, if it had one, and
filled the enclosed up hull with about 6" of GASOLINE! The fumes were
strong enough to roughly run the engine sucking its air supply from in the
compartment. Why it didn't explode is simply a miracle. I won't admit to
where I pumped 10 gallons of gasoline way up a river in the swamp. I was
not amused. Sea Ray sent me a lifetime supply of 5/16" gas hose, proving
they actually knew what 5/16" hose looked like. I still have a whole roll
if you need it. I solved the problem with a proper fuel filter/water
separator with 3/8" inlet and 5/16" outlet fittings the damned company
should have used in the first place if they hadn't been so damned greedy.

Sea Ray of Charleston, a bigshot marine dealer......

I didn't buy my boat from my local dealer because I bought it in
Birmingham, Alabama for $3500 less money from a dealer there. OK, so I'm a
bad boy getting it for wholesale from an overstocked dealer. I had the
boat serviced a couple of times at the local dealer when someone noticed
the dealer sticker from Dead Ahead Marine on the back of the boat. I was
informed my Sea Ray boat was no longer welcome at my Sea Ray dealer for
warranty service as the local dealer didn't sell this boat. I called Sea
Ray and was told that was correct. The Sea Ray dealer didn't have to
service my Sea Ray boat if he didn't sell it. Isn't that nice?! How
supportive of the company....

Nope...no thanks. Sea Ray (or Brunswick's other boat companies) don't have
to worry about selling me another boat. I'll pass. Just thought you
should know.....

England sure has some beautifully made boats. Why buy a piece of American
made crap??

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Bob La Londe

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
zeebop wrote in
:

[...]

SeaRay? Are we talking abot the same SeaRay? My dad has had two SeaRays.
A 19.5 enclosed front and 24 ft enclosed front with fly bridge. Both are
built like tanks. Incredible seaworthiness. Handled 6-10 ft (2-3 meter)
short period waves on Lake Powell with no flex, and no water over the bow on
more than one occassion. Never had any problems with the hulls. Both are
older boats, with I/Os. One is power by a V-8 Ford 302 and the other is
power by twin 4 cylinder Chevrolets. We have had to do engine maintenance
on them, and the carb on the Ford needs to be dissassembled and reassembled
every other year for cleaning, but the boats are rock solid. You are
talking about the SeaRays made in Phoenix, Az aren't you?
--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Paul Schilter

Bob,
SeaRay was bought by Brunswick around 1989. They make a good bowling
ball I'm told. :-)
Paul

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

zeebop wrote in
m:

Larry W4SC wrote:

Piece of crap. See for yourself what's inside a Sea Ray boat:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fib=ADerglass_Boats.htm
It's made of "putty"??....

***************************

If you're going to slam a brand, please try to use information that is
up to date. That chunk of Sea Ray hull is probably at least 15 years
old, and does not represent the way the boats are currently built.
Using that as an example is like telling people to stay away from Ford
Motor Company vehicles because the Pinto isn't much of a car.

Here's a factual look at the modern manufacturing process used by Sea
Ray, rather than one basher quoting another and using a 15-year old
hull as evidence.

http://www.netcomposites.com/downloads/RTMaut04.pdf

Are you going to disclose to the group that your "Sea Ray boat" was a
glorified jet ski, offered for only a year or two, (and quite possibly
built by some outside company and rebadged as a Sea Ray), or not?

While you're at it, are you willing to admit that the shocking photo on
David Pascoe's site actually represents a failed repair, and not OEM
construction?

Every time somebody brings up that David Pascoe link to slam Sea Ray,
they fail to point out that there are hull chunks from a wide variety
of very "high end" boats. Very few runabout boats are built with a
cored hull these days. Larger cruisers often use Divynicell or other
cores (hardly putty) but normally only above the waterline.

Bob,
SeaRay was bought by Brunswick around 1989. They make a good
bowling
ball I'm told. :-)
Paul

*********
.........as well as some highly respected boating trademarks. Examples
like Hatteras and Boston Whaler come quickly to mind.

Larry W4CSC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

older boats

Before Brunswick bought the company and turned them into Bayliners....

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Paul Schilter

Chuck,
Power Boat Reports had a story not too long ago about new, 55 foot Sea
Rays. Several of their owners have complained about water intrusion into
the coring.
Paul

wrote:
Larry W4SC wrote:

[...]

sailing sim; need opinions billy General 5 January 9th 07 04:24 AM
Orion 27 Opinions? Maynard G. Krebbs Cruising 2 September 15th 04 08:14 PM
Opinions on P&H Orca??? bub Touring 6 July 11th 04 12:52 PM
GPS/Sounder; Garmin or Lowrance - Opinions? I Boater Electronics 2 March 21st 04 08:32 AM
sailing sim; need opinions billy ASA 2 October 16th 03 05:05 PM