P.Fritz

"*JimH*" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
"Red Cloud©" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:07:35 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

"John Jay" wrote in message
It is good to see you finally admit you only have one boat.

The truth will set you free. ; )

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
During hurricane season, fixed docks make me crazy as there is no
good
way to either keep your boat from beating itself to death against
the
pilings or when the storm surge really goes up impaling itself on
the
pilings. What a stupid situation.

So......What we really need is a sort of ratcheting device that
keeps
your boat centered between pilings based on the differential
tension
on
docklines. It'd be spring loaded to either take line in or let it
out
depending on differential load. It'd require no power of course.
It'd
allow your boat to rise or fall a lot to take up storm surge but
would
keep her centered 'tween pilings. The real problem I see is how to
attach said device to the boat and every boat differs. Fitting it
would be empirical for each situation and I assume it would be
kinda
expensive.
What Y'all think?

I think I'll do what I did last time: store my boat on the high and
dry.

--
If it is Bad for Bush,
It is Good for the United States.

So now we finally have proof that there is no custom made 36 foot
lobster
boat, just that modest 25 foot fishing boat.

Sooner or later all liars get caught in their lies.

Did you get that "proof" notarized and certified?

Yes.

And who in ther
right mind really cares if Krause has one leaky canoe or a fleet of
new Hinkley's?

rusty redcloud

No one. However it was nice to see the liar get tripped up in his own
lies.

How about YOUR lies, Jim?

========

What lies Kevin?

Kevin whining abotu lies? Priceless.

No wonder remains the "King"

Terry Spragg and Michael Gardner get the prize for the best idea. I
actually considered this awhile back but balked at :

Salt water induced corrossion (solvable I admit)
Making semi-permanent mods to the dock
Oysters growing on the cable keeping it from working (prob not a real
problem)

Now, after your posts, maybe you mean for temporary use. Perhaps just
before a storm, at low tide, attach say 3/4" nylon to base of piling
and to upper end. Use a very thick UHMW plastic/glass reinforced
figure eight sliding on it (or something else like it) and attached to
the boat.

Only problem is that the boat can still rise only as high as the piling
top.

Jere Lull

In article . com,
wrote:

During hurricane season, fixed docks make me crazy as there is no good
way to either keep your boat from beating itself to death against the
pilings or when the storm surge really goes up impaling itself on the
pilings. What a stupid situation.

ONLY if you only consider the pilings next to your boat. Using just
those, the boats in our marina survived (just) Isabelle's surge that
exceeded normal high tide by about 6 feet. Water was 3-4' above the
docks and usually is 2-4' below. I believe, but am not sure, that it was
called an 11 foot surge. The primary change everyone made was to move
their dock lines from the dock level to the top of the pilings (3' or
so) and sieze them in place with nail driven in above and bent over the
lines.

The pictures of all the boats lined up with no dock or pilings or shore
in sight, just water and a couple of treetops, no visible means of
support, were neat, but .... the water was flat, wind was coming over
the hill, no shock from bucking around.

Got scared by that so started thinking: Our dock lines are set to just
keep us off the pilings and dock in normal conditions, a 4-6 foot range
of tides. There's enough slack to let us slide a good 10' out the open
end. (assume crossed stern lines at the dock, bow out. Spring lines from
the outer pilings keep us off the dock but there's no practical limit to
how far we can slide out.)

What if we add a second set of heavier lines that go one slip further
over to each side, set to keep us in the same locus? Instead of the
stern lines being 15' long, they'd be 35' or so. Bow lines could be
similarly lengthened, but they're naturally quite long. Springs are less
of a problem, since the boat can slide out with impunity as long as it
stays in that "lane".

Discussed it with the guys I most trust. They liked it, so I got 200' of
line and implemented it the next storm scare. Had it tracked in, I would
have freed or cut the normal lines and depended upon the new lines. All
things considered, I think I would have felt safer with that than
hauling, since a few boats and a couple of cars in the parking lot
floated away during Isabelle. Dock boxes probably wound up in the next
state.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:
Netsock

"John Jay" wrote in message
It is good to see you finally admit you only have one boat.

The truth will set you free. ; )

Krause has no boat, and I *know* it.

I've noticed (through the cracks) that he has tripled his efforts to "prove"
he has a boat. He thinks it would give him more credibility, or maybe fit in
better, I don't know. But I do know it is obvious he is getting his info off
the internet.

Our boatless village idiot Krause is a fake...and a liar...it has been
proven...period...

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Capt. Neal®

"Netsock" wrote in message ...

"John Jay" wrote in message
It is good to see you finally admit you only have one boat.

The truth will set you free. ; )

Krause has no boat, and I *know* it.

I've noticed (through the cracks) that he has tripled his efforts to "prove"
he has a boat. He thinks it would give him more credibility, or maybe fit in
better, I don't know. But I do know it is obvious he is getting his info off
the internet.

Our boatless village idiot Krause is a fake...and a liar...it has been
proven...period...

Krause is an idiot but generally not a liar.

He does, indeed, have a boat.

It's not much of a boat and it has a stupid, embarrassing name
but I guess it could be called a boat . . .

See for your yourself:

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/harry_krause.html

CN

Capt. Neal®

Capt. Neal® wrote:

"Netsock" wrote in message ...

"John Jay" wrote in message

It is good to see you finally admit you only have one boat.

The truth will set you free. ; )

Krause has no boat, and I *know* it.

I've noticed (through the cracks) that he has tripled his efforts to "prove"
he has a boat. He thinks it would give him more credibility, or maybe fit in
better, I don't know. But I do know it is obvious he is getting his info off
the internet.

Our boatless village idiot Krause is a fake...and a liar...it has been
proven...period...

Krause is an idiot but generally not a liar.
He does, indeed, have a boat.

It's not much of a boat and it has a stupid, embarrassing name
but I guess it could be called a boat . . .

See for your yourself:

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/harry_krause.html

CN

Yep, that would be one of them.

As for your opinion of the boat, Kneel, consider that:

* the trailer it sits on is worth more than your clapped-out, smelly old sailbote...

* the boat is named after our favorite "ride" at WDW, Pirates of the Carib...

What's your sailbote's name, Kneel? "Stinky"

My sailboat is the envy of the Eastern seaboard.
I call her "Cut the Mustard." You may feast your
eyes on her and her many to-die-for attributes he

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

CN

Capt. Neal®

Capt. Neal® wrote:

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/harry_krause.html

CN

Yep, that would be one of them.

As for your opinion of the boat, Kneel, consider that:

* the trailer it sits on is worth more than your clapped-out, smelly old sailbote...

* the boat is named after our favorite "ride" at WDW, Pirates of the Carib...

What's your sailbote's name, Kneel? "Stinky"

My sailboat is the envy of the Eastern seaboard.
I call her "Cut the Mustard." You may feast your
eyes on her and her many to-die-for attributes he

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

CN

I dunno, Kneel...you really live on that boat? It's not much bigger below decks than the average refrigerator box a homeless guy
might like.
The purple upholstery looks pretty slick, though, and I like your nav station. You've done some nice work on that boat.

Believe it or not, our Parker, which, by the way, is substantially larger than your sailbote, has a funky little galley with a
sink similar to yours, a double burner stovetop, running water, and a refrigerator/icemaker. I store plastic fishing gear boxes in
the refrigerator. There's also an electric flush toilet in the forward part of the cabin. Despite the amenities, though, it ain't
a cruising boat. It's for fishing.

Here's the nav station.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/stillanon/nav.jpg

By the way, "John Jay" is a usenet troller who has at least 45 different "identities" he uses. We call him
"Smithers." He is one of the ranking pus-filled rectal fissures of the known universe. Caveat emptor.

Trolls, netKKKops and Usenet stalkers can't touch me. I'm immune because
I finally got a REAL newsserver who doesn't cow tow to all that harassment.

I was just kidding about your boat. Actually, it looks quite functional. I'm
sure it's a good all-weather boat. Ever think of installing twin outboards
for reliability and maneuverability?

CN

Don White

HarryKrause wrote:

What's your sailbote's name, Kneel? "Stinky"

More like.. 'Gone Postal'
Don White

HarryKrause wrote:

Well, at least he's funny once in a while. That puts him a few rungs
higher up on the ladder than most of the right-wing fruit flies swarming
in here.

You get those too? It's almost the season when they breakout here.
It's been much worse since we have to separate out 'organics' and keep
them around for 'green cart' pickup.
Rosalie B.

Jere Lull wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

The solution is spring lines. We did the same in Isabel and the surge
got up to the top of the pilings. The biggest change was that we tied
the bow lines to the pilings across the dock from us because close to
us there were no pilings only cleats.

The top picture at
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html
shows the boat the next day at low tide. The boat next to us was
hauled, so that made a good straight shot for the picture.

grandma Rosalie