Default Hit by a squall

The old thread was gittin sorta lengthy so I started anew.
The original poster said he was on Long Is. Sound so he prob is not on
a constant obsessive lookout for squalls like we are int eh summer in
FL. All these years I still cannot figger out which the direction the
gusts will be from during such a squall.

So, I have been thinking about this, imagining it happening to my boat
etc.
I figure he was close hauled, say port tack, 10 kt wind, suddenly, wind
backs 60 degrees and increasesd by 20 kts. over he goes, no opportunity
for weather helm to make a diff.

What to do? In thsi situation there is little time to think so you
just gotta act on learned behavior and feel for your boat. First, try
turning into the wind but nothing happens cuz the rudder is nearly
horizontal, yikes.
Next, I ease the main sheet, thsi helps and she begins to right some
with main flogging. Still with rail under, I can even feel her begin
to turn downwind as heavily powered jib turns her against the now less
powered main. She continues to turn and right and main stops flogging
so I ease it more and ease the jib a lot. Now on broad reach and
upright furl the jib.

This all reminds me I gotta do something about the tendency of the jib
sheets to get caught under the forward hatch cover or the dinghy I
carry on deck, hmmmmm.....

As far as flogging sails go, I still say your life is worth more than
sails, get over it, let em flog if necessary.

A far as using your engine, I have never had a sheet go overboard where
it could get caught in the prop, not sure it could happen on my boat.
Most boats out there (non-sail boats) rely on engines, why not use
yours if necesary. You have it, use it, forget sailing purity, that is
for ninnies who dont really go out on their boats.