Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
aroostifer

Default Propane Sniffer Meltdown

Hi, my name is Ari, and I own a 1978 Catalina 30. Long time reader,
first time poster.

I installed a vented propane locker with solenoid control switch and
sniffer in the bilge. I've had the boat hauled and various SF Bay-area
boatyard gurus have looked at the install and given it the "thumbs-up."

On Saturday, as we were motoring home into the marina to dock, one of
our passengers smelled smoke. My GF went below but didn't see or smell
anything.

As we were already about to turn up the finger towards our berth, we
proceeded to dock. As our guests began to gather up belongings and
climb off the boat, the acrid stench of burning plactic became
unmistakeable!

I killed the engine, went below, and quickly found that the bilge was
the source of the smoke. I removed the bilge cover board and was
surprised to see the (fairly shallow) bilge filled to within an inch of
the top. The propane sniffer was melted, and the wires leading to it
had melted through their casing and were glowing orange. A quick
glance at the control panel above the nav desk told me that the
automatic bilge pump had been left in the "off" rather than "auto
position." Arrgh! (I suspect guests using sinks in the galley & head
caused the bilge to fill with grey water -- the boat is certainly not
leaking now.)

I disconnected the positive leads to the house batteries and stood
ready with a fire extinguisher while my GF pumped the bilge dry with
the manual gusher.

The propane sniffer smoldered a bit but didn't ignite. We checked all
wiring as thoroughly as possible, but didn't notice any other signs of
damage.

A dramatic end to an otherwise beautiful day on the SF Bay!!!

I had a couple of follow up questions for the group:

- Should I move the propane sniffer out of the bilge to a spot under
the stove/above the cabin sole?

- As per the manufacturers instructions, the sniffer was wired
"always-on" to the battery terminals. Should I instead wire it through
the master switch so it can be turned off more easily in an emergency?

- How likely is it that wiring other than between battery/solenoid
control panel/sniffer could have been damaged?

- (Rhetorical) What the #&%$*( $#^@& good is a "safety device" that
causes fires?!?!?!? (OK, got that off my chest.)

Thanks,

- Ari

Propane refrigeration? Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 5 May 4th 05 03:24 AM
Propane valves Skip Gundlach Boat Building 5 January 5th 05 03:58 PM
Propane valves Skip Gundlach Cruising 7 January 5th 05 03:58 PM
propane stoves Lee308 Cruising 34 December 13th 04 06:36 PM
Copper Tubing in Propane System none Cruising 11 June 4th 04 01:43 AM