Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tim

Default DIY Survey questions when buying a used boat.

OK, my little ChrisCraft 169 Scorpion is a nice boat...but getting
smaller all the time.

I bought it used for $1500.00, and I thought I did good. After all,
thats cheap money if you come out on the short end.

OK, I'm now looking at a 24' Mark Twain with a 292 Chevy and Alpha-1
Mercruiser. The engine is clean enough and the oil lookes used but
good and no signs of any leaks even though the outdrive shows signs of
a bit of corrosion. probably from sitting for a season and collecting
lake skank. but has been cleaned up rather nicley.
Hydrolics are ok too.
It's been on a small lake a couple times this year. it was a trade-in
for a car, and is sitting on a used car lot. The boat has had at least
new carpeting and seats recovered, and the floor seems solid enough. A
couple very small blisters on the bottom, but don't look anything
scary.especially for a 1977 boat. all in all it does look like it's
been reasonably well cared for.

I was wondering how one can inspect the stringer ribs? Or is that
something that one would have to tear the floor out to do? before
shucking out about $3500.00 for it and the trailer, there are some
things I like to know.

BTW, the new carpeting has covered any inspection port or grate in the
floor. I don't know if thats a tattle-tale sign or not.

What say ye?

THANKS!
Tim

Some more dumb questions... New Conservative Cruising 150 March 15th 05 02:03 PM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM