homer

Default buffing gelcoat

Hi, I have a 32 ft. Uniflite and I want to buff out the topsides before she
gets launched. She has only very lite oxidation and old wax residue. I am
looking to use 3M compound but am unsure which one to use. I have a 7 in,
angle polisher this is new to me, have never compounded before. Also any
reccomendations on which pads to use? ie, wool, sponge, or terry?
Thanks,
Trace, Hudson Fl.

engsol

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:08:53 GMT, "homer" wrote:

Hi, I have a 32 ft. Uniflite and I want to buff out the topsides before she
gets launched. She has only very lite oxidation and old wax residue. I am
looking to use 3M compound but am unsure which one to use. I have a 7 in,
angle polisher this is new to me, have never compounded before. Also any
reccomendations on which pads to use? ie, wool, sponge, or terry?
Thanks,
Trace, Hudson Fl.

I just did my topsides. I used a Collinite product as a cleaner...sorry,
I don't remember the number...it's the brown bottle if that helps...
(Email me if you want the number, and I'll notice the next time
I'm on the boat.)

Then I used Collinite #885(?), a hard paste wax, applied with a damp
rag to small areas. Then before it 'dried', buffed it with a
terry pad. Came out looking like new.

Practical Sailor rates it highly also. It lasted during a wax test far
longer than other products.
Norm B
*JimH*

"homer" wrote in message
Hi, I have a 32 ft. Uniflite and I want to buff out the topsides before
she
gets launched. She has only very lite oxidation and old wax residue. I am
looking to use 3M compound but am unsure which one to use. I have a 7 in,
angle polisher this is new to me, have never compounded before. Also any
reccomendations on which pads to use? ie, wool, sponge, or terry?
Thanks,
Trace, Hudson Fl.

Wash the boat using Simple Green or something comparable. This will strip
the wax.

Polish the boat using a random orbital polisher (I had good luck with the
Porter Cable 7424 http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/polishers/7424.html
using the yellow pad) and 3M Finesse-It II polishing compound
(http://store1.yimg.com/I/levineauto_1849_439834).

Follow it with a couple of coats of Collinite Fleet paste (not the liquid)
wax and applying the wax with the white foam pad. Follow with a finish
lambs wool pad buff and you are set for the season. It will look like new.