JG

Default seattle to ensenada - where do you stop?

"5200" wrote in message
Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

Here's a good link for you...

http://www.baja-haha.com/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Paul L

It depends a lot on what boat you have, how much crew, what time of year,
etc. The major part of this trip is Seattle to San Francisco. Most folks go
in late Aug, early Sept.. After you get out of the Straits and turn left,
you can plan on getting a wide variety of winds. Everything from days of
dead calm, to nice NW down wind run, to on the nose, to screaming 35kts+.
Cape Mendicinco is where the worst of it usually hits. Most of the ports on
the way down are river mouths and can be hairy to enter in rough conditions.
Stops often include Newport in OR, Crescent City or Eureka in CA. And then
San Fran.

Paul
"5200" wrote in message
Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

JG

"5200" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:30:38 -0700, "JG"
wrote:

"5200" wrote in message
. ..
Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

Here's a good link for you...

http://www.baja-haha.com/

It starts in San Diego. I'm in Seattle. thanks, though.

Actually, it starts in San Francisco. You can get lots of info with a fairly
simple google search for ports between SF and San Diego if not from
latitude38.com, and there must be plenty of places to put it between Seattle
and SF.

engsol

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:35:29 GMT, 5200 wrote:

Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

That's always the question....harbor hop, or go offshore. According to
the "World Cruising Routes", the best route between Seattle and San Francisco
is to go offshore 100 miles. This assumes the boat and crew are up to it.
Part of the reason is that you'll have a favorable current and steadier winds.
The whole west coast is a lee shore when the prevailing winds, out of the W and NW
are blowing. The Capes are no fun either if it's stormy. As another poster pointed
out, entering the few ports enroute usually require crossing nasty river bars.

If you want to avoid SF, aim for Pillar Point (Half-Moon Bay)....small and well protected.
From there it's a day's hop to Monterey..another nice stop. From there it's a long one
to Santa Barbara, you'll pass Cape Conception enroute. If you have to duck in because
of weather, be sure to treat Morro Bay with caution...may be better to "go outside"
From SB to San Diego, with an optional stop at Catalina, and you're home free.
Don't miss San Diego just because it's a 'big' city. Besides you'll have to do the
paperwork 'stuff' to continue on to Mexico. Try Shelter Island Marina. I've been there
several times, and always have enjoyed it.

Charlie's Charts of the US Pacific Coast may be of help too.

Norm B.
JG

"engsol" wrote in message
[...]

From there it's a day's hop to Monterey..another nice stop. From there
it's a long one
to Santa Barbara, you'll pass Cape Conception enroute. If you have to duck
in because
of weather, be sure to treat Morro Bay with caution...may be better to "go
outside"
From SB to San Diego, with an optional stop at Catalina, and you're home
free.
Don't miss San Diego just because it's a 'big' city. Besides you'll have
to do the
paperwork 'stuff' to continue on to Mexico. Try Shelter Island Marina.
I've been there
several times, and always have enjoyed it.

Charlie's Charts of the US Pacific Coast may be of help too.

Norm B.

Last I went down the coast from SF to Cabo, we were 100-150 offshore. It was
easy, but not particularly interesting. Next time, I think I'll harbor hop
if at all possible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Evan Gatehouse

5200 wrote:
Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

Lots of small harbours all along the coast. More the
further south you go. WA and OR have few "all weather"
harbour entrances.

I would not go 200 miles out because if the weather turns
foul and you want to run for shelter then you're at least a
day or so away from the coast.

It's up to you where you want to stop - "Charlie's Charts of
the (US?) West Coast" is a decent guidebook

Evan Gatehouse
JG

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
5200 wrote:
Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

Lots of small harbours all along the coast. More the further south you
go. WA and OR have few "all weather" harbour entrances.

I would not go 200 miles out because if the weather turns foul and you
want to run for shelter then you're at least a day or so away from the
coast.

It's up to you where you want to stop - "Charlie's Charts of the (US?)
West Coast" is a decent guidebook

Evan Gatehouse

Errr.... The safest place to be is either far enough away from the coast to
not have to worry about hitting it in a storm or close enough to get into a
storm hole.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

William Graves

paperwork 'stuff' to continue on to Mexico.

No paperwork is needed to leave US for Mexico.
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!

jeannette

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:04:30 GMT, 5200 wrote:

Thanks everyone. You have to do paperwork BEFORE entering Mexico? I
thought you just hoisted your yellow flag and checked in at Ensenada
and they permitted your itinerary there? I've always trailered down
but am fitting my first sort-of-real boat this summer. Thanks again.

You don't have anything to do in San Diego. Some people like to stop
there to get an FMT and their fishing licenses. You can do all that in
Ensenada. They have this new system now next to the port where
everything is in the same office. You get the FMt, pay at the bank
window. Very efficient and fast. I was there a month ago.

The 'Baja Haha' starts in San Diego and since they don't stop in
Ensenada they like to get their fishing licenses in San Diego so they
can fish on the way down.

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, Puerto Escondido, Mexico
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html
JG

"jeannette" wrote in message
[...]

My understanding is that you now only have to check in one time in Mexico.
After that, you just need to inform the harbor master when leaving or if
there are any crew changes. Things are getting better... no more huge fees
over and over.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com