pertinent_to_life

Default liveaboard live-ability in Seattle

I'm starting from scratch here in Seattle. When I moved out of my
house in the midwest I brought only what could fit in my car with me.
I thought it was the ultimate down-sizing and ditching so much useless
stuff was liberating. I'm a pretty simple girl with pretty simple
standards, and I'm thinking that now that I've been in the Pacific
Northwest for a while, I'd like to call a sailboat my home.

But I know little about sailing, and even less about living on a boat.

I'm looking for some advice. I know there was a blow-up about
liveaboards in Seattle around 2000 or 2001, but I don't know the
outcome of any of it. What is the average wait time in Seattle to
find moorage that allows liveaboards? Are there any vacancies now?
I'm thinking of buying a 28-30' sailboat; what could I expect to pay
to moor something that size? Which marinas in the area are the most
amiable with friendly "neighborhoods" at the docks? I'm also looking
for a place that would be not to unsafe for a woman to be outside
alone at after dark.

I've got $20,000 to $30,000 to spend on a boat and I'm wondering if
there is any particular style or brand that is best for living on.
I'd like to take it out for daysails or for a weekend, but not on too
big of trips. Mostly, I want the lifestyle of keeping only what I
need with me and the opportunity to spend some quiet time with myself.
I'm hoping that being on the water will keep me connected to nature
while still living in the city.

Any thoughts or liveaboard experiences in Seattle or elsewhere would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rodney Myrvaagnes

If you don't sail, you will do much better with a houseboat. You could
keep a small sailing dinghy attached if you want to learn to sail.

On 10 Aug 2004 19:24:41 -0700,
(pertinent_to_life) wrote:

[...]

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Stephen Trapani

pertinent_to_life wrote:
[...]

I know next to nothing about liveaboard availability near Seattle,
hopefully someone else will answer that, I just wanted to say don't let
these guys get you down. The guy with the liveaboard simulator didn't
put the wonderful freedom to explore and boat around Puget Sound in the
simulator, he's way too pessimistic about boating IMO.

You can get a great Catalina 30' or better at your price and it will be
about the size of a studio apartment, perfectly comfortable for one
person, I'd say.

Stephen
Tom Hunter

I know nothing about boating in Seattle.

You can get a decent boat in your price range.

I would suggest posting this on sailnet as well, lots of helpful people over
there.

Its important to be handy if your a sailor. You can learn if your not now,
but expect to learn make it part of your plan. Otherwise you will spend
tons of money paying other people to fix things. On boats things need to
work right, its ok if you have a leak in your house it can be fixed when you
get round to it. The same problem on a boat can be much more serious.

To learn to sail well its best to start on a small boat. Sailing dingys
respond to what you do instantly. This means you can see the cause and
effect of your actions. Bigger boats respond more slowly. You may do
something and it will be 5-10 seconds before the boat starts to react. This
makes it hard for inexperienced people to learn sailing on a big boat, they
can't link their actions to the boats reaction. If you buy a sailboat keep
some of the money aside and buy a small sailing dingy. You will need a
dingy anyway so why not buy one that can help you learn to sail?

For the right sort of person being on the water is very rewarding. Spend
some time to figure out what you want and you may find yourself very happy.
Go for it.

Good luck

Gordon

You might want to consider somewhere like Pt Townsend, Pt Angeles, or
Sequim. Cheaper, no wait times, safer, and much nicer ambiance. Nicer
sailing areas also.
"pertinent_to_life" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Can you tell me more abt this downsizing you
experienced?

What was the motivation for it?

And what things did you find useless "stuff"

Thanks
Gordon Wedman

I can't give you any information on the liveaboard situation in Seattle but
I don't think it would be too difficult to get an idea by phoning the
marinas and maybe a few yacht clubs. Doesn't cost much and I think most
people would try to be helpful.

I kind of thought the same way as you when I moved back to BC from Ontario
so I bought another boat out here and I've been living on it in Nanaimo, for
18 months. I quite enjoy it. Even the winter was not too bad. We have quite
a few liveaboards at my marina and it makes for a nice little community.
People are always happy to help out. If you could find a situation like
this I think you could get free sailing lessons and help with boat problems.
Quite economical as well, $200Cdn/month.

Taking the ASA Basic Sailing course might not be a bad idea at some time.
Make sure they give you lots of on-water time. Personally I don't see much
point in trying to learn on a dingy if you are going to buy a keelboat large
enough to live on. Sailing is not so difficult that you need to learn on a
"sensitive" dingy.
As for boats, I would suggest you look at boats in the 27 to 30 foot range.
Boats by Catalina, Hunter, CS, C&C are all reasonably well made and would
give you some re-sale value if you wanted to move up or quit. If you are
fairly new to sailing it may be a little difficult to select the right boat
yourself. Talk to several different yacht brokerages, tell them what you
want and go with the outfit that seems most interested in helping you. Try
not to rush into anything. Its best to look at a number of boats to see
what is available in the way of equipment and condition.
Also, have a look at listings on www.yachtworld.com
You can search for boats in your size/price range in Washington.
Best of luck.

[...]

Jim Richardson

On 10 Aug 2004 19:24:41 -0700,
pertinent_to_life wrote:
[...]

I can only offer you our experience in Seattle, which is limited to
Ballard Mill Marina in Ballard. It's a little more expensive than
marinas in the outlying area, expect to pay about $6.50/ft/mo for a boat
of about 30ft, plus a liveaboard fee of $60 for a single, $100 for a
couple.

I believe there are vacancies available now, and we are a pretty close
group expect to say hi to your neighbours and stop and chat.

Access to bus routes is good, but the 5 freeway is about a 15min drive
away, downtown, about 5min, U dist, about 10.

The Feb edition of Northwest yachting usually has a lot of info on
marinas in the seattle area, check the library for last Feb's edition.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to email me, we've
lived here for 5 years, and it's the first time in a long time, that I
know all my neighbours.

I owed the government $3400 in taxes, so I sent them two hammers and a
toilet seat.