Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default liveaboard live-ability in Seattle

If you don't sail, you will do much better with a houseboat. You could
keep a small sailing dinghy attached if you want to learn to sail.

On 10 Aug 2004 19:24:41 -0700,
(pertinent_to_life) wrote:

I'm starting from scratch here in Seattle. When I moved out of my
house in the midwest I brought only what could fit in my car with me.
I thought it was the ultimate down-sizing and ditching so much useless
stuff was liberating. I'm a pretty simple girl with pretty simple
standards, and I'm thinking that now that I've been in the Pacific
Northwest for a while, I'd like to call a sailboat my home.

But I know little about sailing, and even less about living on a boat.

I'm looking for some advice. I know there was a blow-up about
liveaboards in Seattle around 2000 or 2001, but I don't know the
outcome of any of it. What is the average wait time in Seattle to
find moorage that allows liveaboards? Are there any vacancies now?
I'm thinking of buying a 28-30' sailboat; what could I expect to pay
to moor something that size? Which marinas in the area are the most
amiable with friendly "neighborhoods" at the docks? I'm also looking
for a place that would be not to unsafe for a woman to be outside
alone at after dark.

I've got $20,000 to $30,000 to spend on a boat and I'm wondering if
there is any particular style or brand that is best for living on.
I'd like to take it out for daysails or for a weekend, but not on too
big of trips. Mostly, I want the lifestyle of keeping only what I
need with me and the opportunity to spend some quiet time with myself.
I'm hoping that being on the water will keep me connected to nature
while still living in the city.

Any thoughts or liveaboard experiences in Seattle or elsewhere would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas