Mic

Perpetuated Motion
Electric propulsion for boats: A century-old technology may just be
the wave of the future

LINK:

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...ID=396&catID=0

" Advocates for diesel-electric propulsion list among its virtues that
it's clean, quiet, efficient, and requires very little maintenance.
Another advantage frequently noted in connection with the STI system
is the ability to make electricity--to "regenerate"--when the boat is
under sail."

"While internal-combustion engines are typically described by their
horsepower rating, STI's motors are named for the torque they develop.
An ST 37 puts out 37 foot-pounds of torque or 6 horsepower; Tether
recommends using it on monohulls up to 32 feet and 10 tons or to
replace diesel engines of up to 24 horsepower. An ST 74 puts out 74
foot-pounds of torque or 12 horsepower; Tether recommends using it on
monohulls up to 50 feet and 16 tons or to replace diesel engines of up
to 48 horsepower."

rhys

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:43:35 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

[...]

The ST37 is right in the range for my current light cruiser, and the
ganged ST74 is appropriate for my anticipated next boat, which would
be a modified full-keeler.

I'm watching this technology like a hawk. It makes a lot of sense on a
number of levels, but of course, it isn't for everyone.

In the meantime, I'm replacing the exhaust end of my old Atomic 4....

R.

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:13:43 -0400, rhys wrote:

[...]

The problem with the STI system is the size of the battery pack
required for the 144 volt system. It takes up a lot of space and adds
a lot of weight. There are a lot of advantages to their system as
well, especially as was already noted the regeneration under sail
appeals for long passagemaking.

Hopefully as the technology evolves a better and lighter battery
system will be brought online. As a lover of multihulls, the current
battery system takes their system off the table for me.

Weebles Wobble
(but they don't fall down)
Rich Hampel

I look for the 'pertinent omission' in marketing data and hype.
Sure one can argue the 'green' attributes of such a system; but, one
surely HAS to look at the all that additional weight for the batteries
and control systems. With such a boat much deeper in the water and
dragging a three bladed fixed prop .... it HAS to take MORE overall
energy to move such a boat. The boat is now much deeper in the water
and freewheeling a gigantic prop ...... of course you now need a bigger
boat that goes slower. As far that the 'energy balance' ..... I'll
bet its a 'wash' thus no clear advantage. Batteries dont last forever
and I wouldnt want the replacement bill for such 'monsters' added to my
cruising kitty.
I'm more keen on the Pardeys 'engine' choice when it comes down to
'efficiency'.

In article , Mic
wrote:

[...]

Mic

[...]

http://www.soundingsonline.com/stories.html?story=2

"Waypoint carries twin 12-hp Solomons Technology ST 74 electric motors
powered by a dozen batteries. The batteries' charge is renewed by
leaving the power plants running when the boat is sailing so the props
turn in the water, transforming the electric motors into an electric
generator. If there's no wind, a 15-kw diesel generator recharges the
batteries, says Mike Stevens, Catamaran Company's Annapolis salesman.
Stevens says Waypoint can run four hours at 8 knots on batteries, or 6
to 10 hours at 5 or 6 knots. He says the electric-powered cat appeals
to the company's most environmentally conscious customers. "They want
to sail with a green wake," he says."

R.

Jeff

Mic wrote:

http://www.soundingsonline.com/stories.html?story=2

"Waypoint carries twin 12-hp Solomons Technology ST 74 electric motors
powered by a dozen batteries. The batteries' charge is renewed by
leaving the power plants running when the boat is sailing so the props
turn in the water, transforming the electric motors into an electric
generator. If there's no wind, a 15-kw diesel generator recharges the
batteries, says Mike Stevens, Catamaran Company's Annapolis salesman.
Stevens says Waypoint can run four hours at 8 knots on batteries, or 6
to 10 hours at 5 or 6 knots. He says the electric-powered cat appeals
to the company's most environmentally conscious customers. "They want
to sail with a green wake," he says."

R.

This isn't a bad setup for a charter boat that takes short hops, but a
32 mile range on the battery charge is a bit limiting. I'm guessing
that the genset doesn't come close to keeping up with the drain, so
this really isn't a "diesel electric." However, on a lighter
catamaran, the number might workout better.

Larry W4CSC

Rich Hampel wrote in
:

Batteries dont last forever
and I wouldnt want the replacement bill for such 'monsters' added to my
cruising kitty.

Although they are VERY quick to point out to you that a Toyota Prius
battery pack is still under a long warranty to sell the cars....If you
wander back into the parts department and ask, you'll find out WHY they are
VERY quick to point out to you that a Toyota Prius battery pack is still
under a long warranty....................to sell the cars......

Bring out SEVERAL other thousand!

Waste Marine and your local brokers must be very jealous....The markup on
Ni-MH battery packs must be MOST impressive....

If you factor in battery pack replacement, operating cost is about the same
as a Cadillac Escalade with a Northstar Beastie.

Terry Spragg

Mic wrote:
[...]

This is cool. But, lead acid batteries and high voltage DC and salt
water are like rocket fuel, deadly as chlorine.

A Canadian (British) submarines had a fire recently that seems to
point to the biggest drawback.

Lithium iron batteries are way dear, yet.

The steam idea; now what if, when you made hydrogen electrically
from water, instead of throwing away the pure oxygen, you stored it
and then introduced it into an I.C. engine that burned hydrogen?

Would that be a steam engine? How efficient and how large or small
could such an engine be?

I know, we haven't figured out how to corral big lumps of H2, yet,
but who knows what will come along.

Isn' it unfortunate that we cannot yet efficiently derive
electrolyzed O2 as a liquid? Can hydrolysis occur at very cold
temperatures, under pressure? Seems to me it shouldn't matter too
much, as the atomic bond of water might not be bothered much by
ambient considerations.

The nicest thing about all that is that if you spring a leak in the
system, the water around the boat might get cold enough to walk on.

'Gorra, If gasoline is dangerous on boats, how about pressurised
supercold O2?

Oh, and sails inflated with H2?

On subject, the balance in such a subj. electrical system, it seems
to me, would be a 5 hp charger and a 20 hp, 20 minute battery drive,
or about that. In a blow at sea, no self respecting sailor would
prefer to rely much on the engine, when the wind is so free, if
wild. Any sailboat that cannot sail might never expect to be able to
power out of a storm.

I still want to know how an engine would work if it dispensed cold
instead of heat. Liquid nitrogen is more benine than gasoline, and
could be used to suck heat through an engine if the heat source is,
let's say, relatively infinite, being represented by the enormous
heat stored in the liquid water of the sea.

It's heat would vapourize the LN2, providing gas volume to be
harnessed in an "external combustion" steam type engine, leaving in
it's wake only cold water, perhaps even ice, and still cool nitrogen
gas. Just think, free air conditioning as a side effect!

All that is lacking is a cold temperature LN2 low volume injection
pump of some sort, to introduce LN2 to a heat exchanger, boiling the
LN2, providing overpressure and volume to drive a piston.

A small bore, cold environment injection pump could generate a large
volume of cold gas in a heat exchanger which would gain power from
being warmed by the sea.

A leaking LN2 tank (dewar) could asphixyate cabin occupants, so must
vent overboard. Anyone being asphixyated by evaporated liquid
nitrogen would likely wake up from the increasing cold before
expiring. If half of the nitrogen and oxygen in a cabin were
replaced by pure cold nitrogen, the ambient temperature would freeze
the nose and the water in the exhalations passing through your nose.
When it gets that cold, all your nasal hairs freeze together and
pull on one another, causing pain, and that should wake you up
before more than half of the oxygen is displaced from the room. Ask
any musher about that cold effect.

You can make your own liquid nitrogen. All you need is a good
compressor and a heat exchanger, which stores potential energy in
the form of a temperature differential, in the environment and an
insulated cold tank until you want it back. Using a windmill to pump
air to provide storable LN2 might even work.

Terry K

Jmax

This post presents an interesting concept illustrated in diesel locomotive
drive train description.
There multiple methods of converting and transmitting energy but they all
have one thing in common you never get out as much energy as you put in.
The difference between energy in and energy our is energy converted to some
other form that is not useable by the system (such as heat from friction).
System efficiency is a mathematical description of the amount of lost energy
compared to input energy.
The object of any sailboat drive is to move it through the water without the
use of the sails and wind. The typical drive system converts chemical
energy (in the form of fuel) into rotary motion to spin the propeller. The
most efficient drive system is a direct drive (such as directly attaching
the propeller to the rotary motive device's output shaft). Unfortunately,
most motive devices such as diesel engines do not produce an output a form
of energy that is directly useable by a propeller and also they do not
operate well when submerged. Hence the need/existence of some type of
transmission and shafting which introduce drive system losses. A gear box
type transmission has the least amount of losses. a hydraulic transmission
(either in a single case [like found in modern automobiles] or separate
pump/motor drive) have greater losses. The electric drive systems have more
losses that a gear box but depending upon design can be more or less
efficient that a hydraulic drive.
Electric drive losses come from wire line losses expressed as voltage drop,
battery losses in both charging and discharging, electric energy generation
be it through a solar cell or engine, wind, water driven generator, motor
losses converting all that electricity into rotary motion to spin the
propeller, and depending upon the size and style of electric motor used,
shafting and associated bearing, coupling and seal losses.
My bottom line is that there are many ways to move the boat but none are
perfect with no losses. The final design for each individual is a
compromise based upon how much the owner/builder is willing to spend and how
much energy loss "he" is willing to accept. Done right each design has its
good points and its bad points but none give a free ride.
Two pluses in favor of an electric drive are; 1. the electric power can be
derived from both combustion (such as a diesel gen-set) and non-combustion
(such as solar panels or wind mills) sources. 2. The stored electrical
energy can be used for "hotel" related boat uses freeing up space and the
cost of a second generator set.

"Ted" tedwilliams@nospam wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:33:22 -0300, Terry Spragg
wrote:

Mic wrote:
[...]

The statement above "STI's motors are named for the torque they develop"

is
absolutely meaningless without rotational speed. Torque is force at zero
speed and is measured in foot pounds or inch pounds. Torgue is simply the
force exerted in pounds at a given distance from the center of the motor
shaft. For example: 12 lbs-in of torque means that imagining a lever arm
connected to the shaft, at 1 inch up on the lever shaft you would measure

12
lbs of force. At 12 inches up, you would measure 1 lb of force. No
rotational speed is considered.

To propel a boat, the propellor has to turn. A million lbs-ft with no
propellor speed won't move a toy boat.

I could take a toy motor that produces .001 lbs-ft of torque and connect

it
through a reducer of say 10,000:1. At the output shaft of the reducer
(assuming no losses) I would measure 10 lbs-ft of torque. If my toy motor
top speed was 1,000 rpm, the rpm at the output shaft of the reducer would

be
0.1 rpm. So, bearing that in mind, I could tell people that my electric
motor and gear combination that runs on a common D cell can produce 10
lbs-ft of torque and I wouldn't be lying.

In essence, torque produced by a motor without factoring in speed and time
is meaningless. It cannot be equated to horsepower. The following formuala
is used to convert a known (speed in rpm) and (torque in lbs-ft) into HP.

HP = (rpm x T(torque))/(( 5252(constant))

For the example of my toy motor and gear combination I can easily

calculate
the HP.

HP = (.1x10)/5252

HP = 0.000190403655750

Not much HP is it? But I get 10 lbs-ft of torque!

Thrust is similar. Assume no boat or other losses have an effect on the
motor/prop combination.
.
For an example we'll use a trolling motor rated at 40 lbs of thrust at .25
mph at the motor's maximum speed.

Changing the prop to get 1 mph for the motor maximum speed, the thrust

would
be 10 pounds.

Change the prop again to get 2 mph at the motor maximum speed would result
in 5 pounds of thrust.

Once again, thrust like torque must be related to speed to be meaningfull.

I am well aware of electric motors being used on submarines and such. I

have
worked on a submarine motor that was salvaged and is in use today on a

cold
rolling mill. The motor is rated at 2500 hp at 600 volts at 2650 amps.

That
would take a lot of battery power to operate it in a submarine.

The diesal powered locomotives you see are not driven directly by the

engine
as in an automobile. There is no gear train to the wheels. The diesal

engine
turns a generator. The diesal engine is known as the Prime Mover and runs

at
a constant speed. The field of the generator is electrically excited
producing flux in the generator fields. That in turn produces volts at the
output of the generature. The generator is wired to electric traction

motors
that turn the wheels. To change the speed, the amount of generator field
excitation is varied and thus the generator output volts going to the
traction motors.

There is a lot more to motors, thrust, torque, hp, and batteries than I

can
possibly describe here.

I just wanted to throw this in so nobody gets confused and thinks they are
getting something for nothing.

Oh, and by the way, if you had an electric trolling motor on your

sailboat,
and the you were sailing faster than the trolling motor's theoretical
maximum speed with the given prop, the motor would turn faster and
regenerate putting power back into the battery. Of course you are

converting
the energy produced by the wind in the sails and thus motion into

electrical
energy so unfortunately no perpetual motion. grin

Ted

trying to identify sterndrive leg from serial no. on drive shaft housing burgs General 2 April 20th 05 12:18 AM
Inboard and Vee Drive Systems winder General 0 December 28th 04 11:07 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
'Lectric boats Gould 0738 General 1 July 28th 04 01:55 PM
Out drive refinish Dave Hamilton Cruising 2 November 8th 03 03:16 PM