Roger Long

Default Diode question for Brian or Larry

I got my bilge pump controller put together and it looks pretty neat.
It will fit right under the fuse panel I put in and the relay can be
easily pulled and replace.

I tested it and my portable 12 V battery immediately gave the "Tink"
that means the fuse blew. I checked and there were zero ohms across
the terminals to the relay coil. I put this together very carefully
so it was hard to believe I had a short. When I opened it up to look,
I noticed that the suppression diode across the coil had burned into
the wire slightly. I cut it and the short disappeared. I then cut
the suppression diodes out of both relay sockets.

There was no + or - indication on the relay wiring but one of the coil
wires was red. Did I blow the diode by hooking up with reverse
polarity?

--

Roger Long

Ian Malcolm

Roger Long wrote:
I got my bilge pump controller put together and it looks pretty neat.
It will fit right under the fuse panel I put in and the relay can be
easily pulled and replace.

I tested it and my portable 12 V battery immediately gave the "Tink"
that means the fuse blew. I checked and there were zero ohms across
the terminals to the relay coil. I put this together very carefully
so it was hard to believe I had a short. When I opened it up to look,
I noticed that the suppression diode across the coil had burned into
the wire slightly. I cut it and the short disappeared. I then cut
the suppression diodes out of both relay sockets.

OOPS

There was no + or - indication on the relay wiring but one of the coil
wires was red. Did I blow the diode by hooking up with reverse
polarity?

YES, wrong polarity would put a massive current through the diode.
Overcurrent is the quickest way to destroy a diode I know. Thhe usual
failure mode for a diode is dead short unless you put enough current
through it to physically rupture the package, when the short may change
to an open circuit.

As you have found, this results in total pump failure because the supply
fuse has blown. :-( Removing the diodes is the correct thing to do. As
you have now removed the protection they offered the switches and
contacts, fit a snubber circuit across each relay coil. Snubbers are
not polarity sensitive. It will work without them but for how long?
They are not exactly expensive or difficult to fit.

Can you clarify that the diodes were ONLY in the sockets, not inside the
relays? At the moment I am concerned that if you plug in a replacement
relay *with* a diode if the system is giving trouble, you may instantly
blow the fuse rendering the pump totally dead. Relays with diodes
usually have some polarity marking on the coil terminals. May just be a
red dot, a tiny plus sign or even a circuit diagram showing the coil and
the diode with pin numbers. Occasionally you get one that you have to
read the manufacturer's databook to confirm it has a diode.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Roger Long

Yes the diodes were in the sockets. It makes sense then that the
relay had no polarity markings because it itself is not polarity
sensitive. The red wire on the socket should have tipped me off but
that's the problem with staying up late at night working on this
stuff

Here's a picture of the finished controller:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Controller

The diodes are way too sensitive a component to have buried inside a
critical system box like this. I have the snubber components and will
build them this morning. There is now nothing inside the box but
wiring. Even if both relays should go bad, I can jumper a wire across
the terminals to get the system pumping. I'll mark the box with the
appropriate jumper location just in case.

Thanks,

(I should have included you in my header.)

--

Roger Long

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in
message ...
Roger Long wrote:
[...]

Ian Malcolm

Roger Long wrote:
Yes the diodes were in the sockets. It makes sense then that the
relay had no polarity markings because it itself is not polarity
sensitive. The red wire on the socket should have tipped me off but
that's the problem with staying up late at night working on this
stuff

Well I reckon you'll learn to get some sleep before working on
expensive/critical stuff (if possible). :-)

Here's a picture of the finished controller:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Controller

Nice to see the end result.

The diodes are way too sensitive a component to have buried inside a
critical system box like this.

Its not that they are very sensitive, its their rather unpleasant
failure mode. :-( This was why I and others were encouraging you to use
snubbers instead. One can design them in safely but that can get way
too technical for all except denisons of sci.electronics.design or
similar 'wire headed' hangouts. :-)

I have the snubber components and will
build them this morning. There is now nothing inside the box but
wiring. Even if both relays should go bad, I can jumper a wire across
the terminals to get the system pumping. I'll mark the box with the
appropriate jumper location just in case.

Couple of spare relay going in your spares kit I hope. Might as well
make up the jumper wire with appropriate ends and keep it taped to the box.

Thanks,

(I should have included you in my header.)

No worries. B.T.W., I am off sailing for a while so wont be able to
offer any more feedback.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Larry W4CSC

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Did I blow the diode by hooking up with reverse
polarity?

Yep. The diode only conducts when the field in the coil of the relay
collapses, when you turn the power to it off. The diode is reverse biased
(+ power to its banded cathode end, - power to its anode) when the relay is
energized. You had it connected up backward, zapping the diode to a short.

Oops....

+12-------coil----------12
| |
--|--
band noband

Jim Donohue

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Did I blow the diode by hooking up with reverse
polarity?

Yep. The diode only conducts when the field in the coil of the relay
collapses, when you turn the power to it off. The diode is reverse biased
(+ power to its banded cathode end, - power to its anode) when the relay
is
energized. You had it connected up backward, zapping the diode to a
short.

Oops....

+12-------coil----------12

| |
--|--
band noband

Not clear. Fuse is blown but one would have to check to see if the diode is
blown. Suppression diodes are generally rugged little things. They may well
last long enough to blow the fuse without going out.

There are only a zillion or two diodes launched in this application. I
don't think I would use a solenoid or a relay without one. If worried get a
bigger diode.

Roger Long

Nope. It was a dead short. I'm putting in the 10 ohm / .01 mfd
suppressors instead.

--

Roger Long

Matt Colie

Roger,
You can do that if you want to, but diodes work better. You may still
get a spike on the line with the RC setup, but that won't matter to
anything but the electronics. The RC set does what it does by thying to
limit the rate of rise when the switch opens, but the diode makes the
power from the widing stay in the winding.

That is why little DIN (automotive default these days) relays are marked
87 for signal and 31 for ground.

Newer cars have a lot of this stuff going on.

Matt Colie

Roger Long wrote:
Nope. It was a dead short. I'm putting in the 10 ohm / .01 mfd
suppressors instead.

Roger Long

Interesting point. I can wire the diodes on the outside of my
controller just as easily as the snubber. If I do see any evidence of
spikes, I'll do that.

For future reference, do you know which diodes to use? I foolishly
tossed the ones I cut out of the sockets.

It's unlikely I'll see a problem though. The water will probably only
get to the high switch in our boat if the stuffing box hose splits.
If the boat is unattended, the minimal electronics we have will be
off. Mostly, this system will be operated by picking up one of the
float switches when checking the bilge. The most used feature of it
will be not having to hang down there holding the switch until the
bilge empties. Just being able to flip it up and forget it will be
worth all the effort I put into it. Operating in that mode, the relay
never engages.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
Nope. It was a dead short. I'm putting in the 10 ohm / .01 mfd
suppressors instead.

Jeff

Larry W4CSC wrote:
"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Did I blow the diode by hooking up with reverse
polarity?

Yep. The diode only conducts when the field in the coil of the relay
collapses, when you turn the power to it off. The diode is reverse biased
(+ power to its banded cathode end, - power to its anode) when the relay is
energized. You had it connected up backward, zapping the diode to a short.

Oops....

+12-------coil----------12
| |
--|--
band noband

I'm confused. Perhaps this is why I left hardware engineering for
software. I thought the purpose of a diode was to pass current one
way, and block it the other. Did this fail because the passed current
was too high, or because the blocked voltage was too high? Or is
there something else I'm missing? Should a small resistor have been
put in series? Is the coil storing up too much energy? Why can't
everything just be digital?

While I'm on the subject, since I have twin engines, some of my
instruments, such as the fuel gauge are fed by the key switch from one
engine. Is there a way to hook up 2 diodes to allow either feed to
work/ Radio Shack part numbers please ;-)