prodigal1

engsol wrote:
I'm a coffee 'snob' at home...exotic blends, grinder, etc.,but on the boat,
I get along fine with Folger's Singles...think coffee in a tea bag.
It's drinkable, and no clean-up.

philistine! you should be forced to watch reruns of Regis and
whatever-her-name-is in perpetuity for this blasphemy ;-)
Harlan Lachman

In article , Jeff
wrote:

Denis Marier wrote:
I wonder what is the best way to make coffee while sailing alone.
TIA

I have a French Press on board, and use it on occasion, however
cleaning it is a bit of a pain. More often I use a paper cone drip
into a Thermos, which is easier to clean because the paper can be
easily trashed. The Thermos keeps the coffee hot for several hours,
and drinkable for much of the day. This helps if you make some just
before getting underway - paper drip is a pain while the boat is moving.

Among aficionados you'll probably find more support for the press,
although there are many (myself included) that find it a bit muddy and
unpredictable. Almost any method (except percolators) can make
quality coffee, though there are some differences.

More important than the method is fresh ground coffee. If you buy
pre-ground, you're already limiting yourself to mediocre coffee at best.

I use the same approach sans fresh grinding (which would clearly make it
better). This is a one of the old hassle reward equations. I find not
having to schlep or power a grinder on my little boat is worth the
tradeoff for the short, one week, cruises we take. Longer cruises and
bigger boat -- different formula.

But removing the paper filter to throw out the grinds simplifies
cleaning and my old Nissan stainless does keep coffee hot for at least
4-5 hours if unopened.

I like the idea of two smaller thermoses both for storage and so one
remains unopened longer but I fell prey to the bigger is better idea.

To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
engsol

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:26:06 -0400, prodigal1 wrote:

engsol wrote:
I'm a coffee 'snob' at home...exotic blends, grinder, etc.,but on the boat,
I get along fine with Folger's Singles...think coffee in a tea bag.
It's drinkable, and no clean-up.

philistine! you should be forced to watch reruns of Regis and
whatever-her-name-is in perpetuity for this blasphemy ;-)

Forgive me...for I have sinned.
As pentance I promise to drink three cups of Sanka, go forth, and sin no more...

Phil

Switch to whisky.........

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
Denis Marier wrote:
I wonder what is the best way to make coffee while sailing alone.
TIA

A sterno swing stove. Single burner, makes a cuppa in few minutes, or
heats wieners and beans, or soup.

A better plan: make a thermos extra at breakfast.

Where do you get a thermos that will keep coffee warm for 5 or 6
days? Anybody thought of using a stove?

Terry K

engsol

On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:12:14 -0400, Jeff wrote:

engsol wrote:

I'm a coffee 'snob' at home...exotic blends, grinder, etc.,but on the boat,
I get along fine with Folger's Singles...think coffee in a tea bag.
It's drinkable, and no clean-up.

If you don't roast your own, you're not a "coffee snob." On my last
one year cruise I left with 25 pounds of green beans (about a 6 month
supply - I needed replenishment partway) and roasted weekly on the BBQ
with a WhirleyPop.

You're right...maybe I'm just a "coffee snob" wannabe, and lazy...

prodigal1

engsol wrote:

Forgive me...for I have sinned.
As pentance I promise to drink three cups of Sanka, go forth, and sin no more...

Sanka!!!?! aaahhh!!! unclean!!! it burns us!!!

surfnturf

"Phil" wrote in message
Switch to whisky.........

Or try chocholate covered coffee beans.

WhirleyPop.

Ok, what's a Whirly Pop?

Jeff

WhirleyPop.

Ok, what's a Whirly Pop?

Scroll down to about the middle of the page:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.stovetop-popper.shtml

BTW, I've roasted most of the coffee I've had at home for the last 15
years, much of it purchased from Sweet Maria's. I currently use the
AlpenRost and IRoast machines shown at the top of the page. The
machines add about a dollar a pound to the coffee, but the beans are
somewhat cheaper and higher quality than you can get at the
supermarket, or even the gourmet stores.

For example, most of the very good beans are 5 to 6 dollars, the top
quality Costa Rican is $7 (from the same farm its $16 at the local top
rated roastery). If you like Kona, you get get it for $15 a pound
when you might pay $18 for a half pound from a roastery.

The real advantage is that I always have fresh coffee, roasted just
the way I like it. The downside is that you must roast at least 12
hours in advance, because the coffee must "rest" for a while before
brewing. If I forget to roast the night before, its tea for breakfast!

For trips up to a month, I roast up a lot, measure out daily
"baggies," and then seal 6 or so into Foodmaster vacuum bags. These
can be frozen for longer trips.

Tips for coffee: The water should be clean and very hot, just off a
boil. The flaw in cheap brewers is that the water is tepid by the
time it hits the coffee. Beans should be ground just before brewing.
If you must use preground, keep it air tight, and don't keep it in
the fridge or freezer for daily use. (Every time you open it moisture
condenses onto it!) If you don't use it within 15 minutes of brewing,
decant into a Thermos.

And most of all, Starbucks roasts that way because it hides the flaws
in cheap coffee, not because it tastes better. If you like coffee
flavored milk, its fine.
Gordon Wedman

"prodigal1" wrote in message
engsol wrote:

Forgive me...for I have sinned. As pentance I promise to drink three cups
of Sanka, go forth, and sin no more...

Sanka!!!?! aaahhh!!! unclean!!! it burns us!!!

Yes, I agree. I don't know how they can sell that stuff. It is the worst
"coffee" on the planet.