Chilly

Default Ney York Harbor Marinas

We'll be cruising north from the Chesapeake and up the Hudson this summer.
My brother is going to join us for the atlatic leg and will disembark once
we get to New York Harbor. I'd like for him to be onboard as we cruise
past the Statue of Liberty, and then we'll be looking for a marina with
convenient mass transet to either JFK or La Guardia. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Bill & Mary
S/v Station Omega
Chilly

Bill & Mary sed:

We'll be cruising north from the Chesapeake and up the Hudson this
summer. My brother is going to join us for the atlatic leg and will
disembark once we get to New York Harbor. I'd like for him to be
onboard as we cruise past the Statue of Liberty, and then we'll be
looking for a marina with convenient mass transet to either JFK or La
Guardia. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just noticed that Newark Intl Airport should be pretty convenient ...

--
Bill & Mary
S/v Station Omega
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 7 May 2005 16:34:36 GMT, Chilly wrote:

We'll be cruising north from the Chesapeake and up the Hudson this summer.
My brother is going to join us for the atlatic leg and will disembark once
we get to New York Harbor. I'd like for him to be onboard as we cruise
past the Statue of Liberty, and then we'll be looking for a marina with
convenient mass transet to either JFK or La Guardia. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Newport Marina in Jersey City is very convenient to a PATH train to
Manhattan. It is after the Colgate Clock but before the Holland tunnel
vents.

It is a bouncy place if you pan to sleep in the boat. Much better
shelter from wakes, but not as good transportaton access, is in the
Morris Canal Basin, just south of the Colgate clock.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:33:47 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Bill & Mary sed:

We'll be cruising north from the Chesapeake and up the Hudson this
summer. My brother is going to join us for the atlatic leg and will
disembark once we get to New York Harbor. I'd like for him to be
onboard as we cruise past the Statue of Liberty, and then we'll be
looking for a marina with convenient mass transet to either JFK or La
Guardia. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just noticed that Newark Intl Airport should be pretty convenient ...

You are better off dropping him on the New Jersey side. There are several
marinas there. Newark airport is well served by mass transit. LaGuardia
and JFK are not despite the new airtrain at JFK. There are marinas on the
Manhattan side too but they are less than transient friendly. We had a
very hard time putting a passenger ashore at 79th Street Boat Basin once
and I understand that the commercial marinas down around Chelsea (23rd
Street) charge an arm and a leg just for dropping a passenger.

This is correct. The PATH train that stops at Newport Marina goes to
Newark in the other direction, with a change at Journal Square. From
Newark Penn Station there is a train to the Newark airport.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"If Brecht had directed 'Waiting for Godot,' he would have hung a large sign at the back of the stage reading 'He's not going to come, you know. ' " -- Terry Eagleton
Chilly

Thanks folks! The stuff I gleaned from this thread and from my purusal of
the archives is:

LIBERTY LANDING
http://libertylandingmarina.com/
80 Audrey Zapp Dr
Jersey City, NJ 07305
201-985-8000

It is hard to beat Liberty Landing on the Jersey side. It is almost
directly behind Ellis Island, on the inside of the Morris Canal Basin.
Very easy to get to EWR or to Manhattan by PATH. It is also well protected
from the wake in the Hudson.

Liberty Harbor Marina is on the opposite side of the canal and several
folks in this forum have complained of their docks, the cost expense and
the staff.

NEWPORT MARINA
http://www.newportnj.com/
500 Washington Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07310
201-626-5550

A bit farther up the river is Newport marina on the Jersey side. It is
after the Colgate Clock but before the Holland tunnel vents. Regarded as
cleaner and safer than 79th street marina on the NYC side. Take the ferry
to Manhattan, but keep your boat in Jersey

The PATH train is very convenient, and will take you to Manhattan or to
Newark Intl. The PATH train that stops at Newport Marina goes to Newark in
the other direction, with a change at Journal Square. From Newark Penn
Station there is a train to the Newark airport.

It is a bouncy place if you plan to sleep in the boat. Liberty Landing in
the Morris Canal Basin, just south of the Colgate clock provides much
better shelter from wakes, but not as good transportation access.

LINCOLN HARBOR YACHT CLUB
http://www.lincolnharbormarina.com/
1500 Harbor Boulevard
Weehawken, New Jersey 07086
Phone: (201) 319-5100 1-800-205-6987
VHF Radio Channel 74

You might want to try Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club in Weehawken, NJ. It is
not only near the New York City ferry, but also a stones throw from several
great restaurants and a Ramada Suites Hotel. Security is good.

--
Bill & Mary
S/v Station Omega

INFO FOR NEWBIES Capt. Mooron ASA 20 March 19th 05 03:20 AM
Hillary In 2008 gonefishiing ASA 57 November 9th 04 12:58 AM
Terrorist Attack at Ohio School -- 13 shot, 4 dead Gould 0738 General 321 September 24th 04 12:19 AM
OT : The New York Times - Fair and Balanced LOL Joe Parsons General 0 November 16th 03 06:37 AM