Roger Long

Default Can you imagine?

Last fall, I was soliciting opinions in this group about an early
spring transit of Lake Erie to deliver the 32 foot sailboat we bought
in Detroit. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

The original plan would have had me leaving Detroit last Wednesday,
arriving in Buffalo on Friday, and spending the weekend preparing for
the canal trip. Can you imagine?

Am I ever glad we decided to bring the boat on a truck.

--

Roger Long

rhys

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:06:06 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Last fall, I was soliciting opinions in this group about an early
spring transit of Lake Erie to deliver the 32 foot sailboat we bought
in Detroit. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

The original plan would have had me leaving Detroit last Wednesday,
arriving in Buffalo on Friday, and spending the weekend preparing for
the canal trip. Can you imagine?

Am I ever glad we decided to bring the boat on a truck.

Yes, but the week prior was lovely, with generally favourable winds.
We seem to be getting a lot more easterly in our lower Great Lakes
winds than I recall. I know it was an issue on windward-leeward club
racing last couple of years.

R.

prodigal1

rhys wrote:

Yes, but the week prior was lovely, with generally favourable winds.

yes, nothing like sailing in 3degree water temps with the air temp at 25 ;-)

We seem to be getting a lot more easterly in our lower Great Lakes
winds than I recall.

agreed. check the stats. _highly_ anomalous for 2 years now. anyone
who denies global weather change does so because it's hard to notice
what's going on around you when you've got your head shoved up yer ...
gooch

prodigal1 wrote:
rhys wrote:

Yes, but the week prior was lovely, with generally favourable

winds.

yes, nothing like sailing in 3degree water temps with the air temp at

25 ;-)

We seem to be getting a lot more easterly in our lower Great Lakes
winds than I recall.

agreed. check the stats. _highly_ anomalous for 2 years now. anyone

who denies global weather change does so because it's hard to notice
what's going on around you when you've got your head shoved up yer

Anyone who uses one freak storm or only two years of anomolous data to
draw a sweeping conclusion not only has their head up their @$$ but
also knows nothing about science.

prodigal1

gooch wrote:

Anyone who uses one freak storm or only two years of anomolous data to
draw a sweeping conclusion not only has their head up their @$$ but
also knows nothing about science.

you sell SUV's?
time to re-insert your head into the observation tube Prof.Corey

gooch

prodigal1 wrote:
gooch wrote:

Anyone who uses one freak storm or only two years of anomolous data

draw a sweeping conclusion not only has their head up their @$$ but
also knows nothing about science.

you sell SUV's?
time to re-insert your head into the observation tube Prof.Corey

No I don't sell SUV's. As a matter of fact I drive a hybrid vehicle but
I am also a scientist and am simply pointing out that your assertion
that you can tell anything about global climate changes based on two
years of local data or anecdotal evidence is ridiculous.

rhys

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:34:33 -0400, prodigal1 wrote:

rhys wrote:

Yes, but the week prior was lovely, with generally favourable winds.

yes, nothing like sailing in 3degree water temps with the air temp at 25 ;-)

The head is warm and the beer is very cold if you tow it through the
cubes...

We seem to be getting a lot more easterly in our lower Great Lakes
winds than I recall.

agreed. check the stats. _highly_ anomalous for 2 years now. anyone
who denies global weather change does so because it's hard to notice
what's going on around you when you've got your head shoved up yer ...

Where can I find historical stats for wind direction year-to-year?

Thx.
R.

prodigal1

rhys wrote:

The head is warm and the beer is very cold if you tow it through the
cubes...

there you go! I'm just not getting out enough

Where can I find historical stats for wind direction year-to-year?

Let me see what I can dig up.
Cheers
rhys

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:34:46 -0400, prodigal1 wrote:

rhys wrote:

The head is warm and the beer is very cold if you tow it through the
cubes...

there you go! I'm just not getting out enough

Where can I find historical stats for wind direction year-to-year?

Let me see what I can dig up.
Cheers

Looking forward to it. We launched our club yesterday into a bitter
drizzle with 15 knots coming out of...yes...the chilly, dank
north-east...

R.